Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cattle tank for water source?

TimberPig

I'm thinking of getting one of these tanks to use as a water source for deer. Do any of you cattle guys know if it will survive the winter when it freezes solid, or will it break?

This is the type I'm looking at. The short 60 Gal tank. http://www.freelandind.com/fipolytanks.htm

Has anyone had success getting deer to drink from cattle tanks? I'm sure it works down in TX. Might have to set it in the ground to make it appear more natural to the deer?

Thanks

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
deer will drink from it above ground. have witnessed out my grandmas window in the cow yard about 60 yards from her house. but don't know how they would react to a newly intoduced one?

Thanks guys. I'm mostly concerned about it freezing and breaking if I dont get it drained. I'm sure the local does and small bucks will hit it above ground, my thinking with digging it in was having it look much more natural to a buck who was coming through during the rut. Of course if its buried, the drain plug is worthless. I'll probably try one, should be a fun experiment.

Those are the same tanks we have for emergency water at our anhydrous ammonia plant. They have frozen solid before, and they didn't bust. Being that they are plastic, they expand enough to keep from busting, and since they are not sealed on the top, it can move upward as well.

We have six of them around the plant, and they get drained every spring. Backwards, I know.

Those are the same tanks we have for emergency water at our anhydrous ammonia plant. They have frozen solid before, and they didn't bust. Being that they are plastic, they expand enough to keep from busting, and since they are not sealed on the top, it can move upward as well.

We have six of them around the plant, and they get drained every spring. Backwards, I know.

Perfect, thanks Brian.

I have a couple automatic heated watertanks that were for cattle long ago, now just foodplots planted around them. All the deer including the old bucks use them. It's funny when the water kicks on to fill, scares the shit out of them, but they come right back.

Top Bottom