Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dekalb / Sand Creek

garg10

Anyone do any hunting at either of these public areas in Decatur County? First time drawing in Zone 4 and will be around these WMA's from 10/31/12 to 11/10/12. To say i'm excited is an understatement. I always love hunting new areas and this will be my first experience hunting Iowa.

Funny thing occurred to me a few minutes ago after putting my daughters to bed (3 1/2 and 2 years old). I had only been a dad for 4 months when I put in for my 1st preference point and my youngest was not even born yet. No wonder my anticipation is so high!!! 7 weeks to the day until my trip and I can't wait.

Congrats on getting drawn! I know nothing about either of those places but I'm sure you'll get it all figured out! Good luck!

I'd suspect like any of the big areas, if folks really go out of their way to get way the heck in there, you'll weed out the amount of folks in there. With ANY size or area on public, I've been past dozens during gun season, every single one (yes, including these from a friend I know a couple miles away) gets gun hunted to piss. Group after group. Being so big- sure- a lot get outta there, relocate or can avoid em BUT that's just a lot of people after a "reasonably small" amount of nice bucks.
i'd say, if you can avoid the folks, have a great spot & put in the time, you got a good chance. Good luck.

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys, I appreciate it.

On a side note, what do you public land hunters in Iowa use to hang your bow since you can't us bow hooks or ez hangers? My Lone Wolf has the bow holder but the platform is just too small to be comfortable while using it. Just looking for some ideas...

Get a loopie sling (or a piece of rope tied into a circle) and attach a hook large enough to hold your bow. Then wrap the loop aroud the trunk passing the hook through the tail end of the loop. It makes a girth hitch. I'm at work but will send pics later.

Like said before big rough country. Wear some good walking boots and get in deep. Be prepaired that the ground around there is not flat land and has plenty of hills and deep ravines. Great area.

A lot of deer around sand creek area, just be prepared to work for them and get as deep as you can. Expect to walk at least 45 min to an hour to get to a good spot.

Get a loopie sling (or a piece of rope tied into a circle) and attach a hook large enough to hold your bow. Then wrap the loop aroud the trunk passing the hook through the tail end of the loop. It makes a girth hitch. I'm at work but will send pics later.

I can't get those pics to load but if you want to see them pm me and I'll get 'em to ya

Top Bottom