Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth big buck down!! (pics)

jpwarrior32

9/20/2012
Is it every 10 year olds dream to shoot a monster buck on his first deer hunt? Maybe not, but for this kid it was. Today was my only day off of work and I managed to get some time to go to bass pro shops and purchase the new Savage 220 bolt action shotgun. After getting everything set up I spent some time at the farm getting it sighted in. After 25 slugs which were $15.99 for a box of 5, I had the gun dialed in @ 100yds. And at 150 and 200yds the gun was shooting 6 and 12 inches low. Everything was ready to go, and I was just waiting on my little cousin to get done with school.
After receiving multiple text messages from him all day while he should be in school, we headed out to the field. We were hunting a farm that had 3 fields separated by 3 draws that were very thick with timber and ravines. Around 5:30p.m. we got set up on the ground sitting up against a wide oak tree over looking a bean field. We could see in every direction for about 200 yards. I got the bipod set up to the right height for the kid, and doing everything I could to make him comfortable. Everything was set up and all we needed was the deer movement to begin. I could tell by the smile on his face he was excited to just be out in the field, and his hopes were high. We took some pictures and time continued to go by. We took some pictures, enjoyed the nice calm evening together even with no deer movement. I could tell that when the sun was slowing disappearing past the hill, he was getting discouraged. I asked him if he wanted to go check the other fields and maybe there will be movement there. He replied “let’s go make it happen!” We picked everything up and began a quiet stalk to another field about 500yds away. Walking towards the other field I was thinking it was a perfect night, and I knew there were big bucks on this property, we just had to find them. As we approached another the end of a draw, it met up with a waterway between two cornfields. It was the perfect transition point for a big bug to come out of the cornfield and move to the bean field. We slowly approached the waterway and I looked to the right and I saw a deer staring at us. The deer was about 150yds out, and knowing that the deer saw us we had a 5 minute period of no movement. I couldn’t tell if the deer was a buck or just a big doe. The deer lowered his head and began feeding and I was able to get the binoculars up. When I found the deer through the binoculars I could just see a wide and tall set of antlers. I immediately got my cousin set up on the ground, helped him get the bipod set up, and had him facing the direction where I thought the deer would go. The waterway was only 20 yards wide and I thought the deer would walk an easily visible trail right down in front of us. My cousin continued to ask me what I saw, and finally I looked at him and said “get ready, you’re going to have an opportunity at a monster buck.” I could tell he immediately became excited, a smile on his face from ear to ear that every young hunter should experience. I was able to stand in he front row of corn and watch the deer slowly make his way down the waterway. There was some tall grass to my cousins right and he was not able to see any of the action. I told him to be ready for the deer to step out of the tall grass about 20 yds in front of us, and to be ready because it was going to happen fast. I continued to watch the massive rack sway from side to side through the grass. I had my cousin take the safety off and get ready, it was gonna happen. The buck stepped out about 25yds facing right at us. The deer picked his head up and was looking right at us. I believed the deer was going to bust us, so I told him he’s going to have to take the shot, and he did. The loud sound of the gun going off, and the view of an amazing deer dropping in his tracks, had me amazed. I didn’t even know how to react. I was lost with words or actions to tell my cousin. After he shot he stood up, unknowing if he hit the deer, and he was not able to see the deer drop due to his size and sitting on the ground, and the fact the grass was tall. After I gained my composure I ran over to him, had him put a new slug in, and put the gun on safety. I gave him a hug, and told him he got him. Which I believed I repeated 20 times. I let the little guy run up to the deer, just 20 yards away, and to watch his expression when he got up and lifted up the big rack was priceless. I wish every kid could experience what he did at that moment. I couldn’t have been prouder for the kid, to be ten years old and on his first hunt and keep his composure like he did and make a great shot!! We took a bunch of pictures with the deer, and I let him make phone calls to his brother and parents. Listening to a ten year old with that much excitement after killing a big buck was awesome. The poor kid struggled to get each sentence out he had so much energy. We took the deer into town and had friends and family over to celebrate and everyone was so proud of the little guy! We caped the deer out and took him in the taxidermist. I know that everyone has their opinions on what a kid should shoot for their first deer, but this kid wanted a big buck and told me all summer he wasn’t going to shoot anything unless it was going on the wall. Well he made it happen and I know this will strike a lifelong passion for hunting!

545756_4714410663764_328754518_n_zps75e70124.jpg

422763_4713915371382_1386892696_n_zpse0e66605.jpg

403334_4714413623838_555591957_n_zpsf4184edc.jpg

420834_4714409983747_611053539_n_zpsa5972a08.jpg

198749_4714409503735_895636491_n_zps1828db03.jpg

Good story...great buck! Congrats to you and the youngster. I'm sure it was a blast to see him get his first buck and to be full of so much excitement! Nice work boys

Hooked him for life!! Congrats on the harvest. I remember mine like it was yesterday with my dad, not the biggest of my career but the memory was the best.

Top Bottom