Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracking Light

NWBuck

PMA Member
Recently helped my nephew track a doe in the dark during youth season, and it occurred to me that my old 4 D sized batteries police light is probably woefully inefficient compared to what's out there today. Specifically, I would imagine LED lights and rechargeable battery would be nice. So what does everyone use or recommend??

NWBuck

I have a Gerber Carnivore Blood Light, it has a regular light and also a purple light. If you have a hard time seeing blood like I do, this lights up the blood trail like someone put highlighter through out the woods. For me it makes tracking at night ALOT easier!!

I also have one of those gerber lights, and I am red/green color blind and its the only way I can usually track a deer...or have my buddies come along and usually run down the trail while I stand there looking like a moron.. but the gerber light I really like! even the regular flashlight is great IMO

I've tried a lot of different lights through the years, but for me, nothing works better than a Coleman lantern.

Any yellow light works the best for me.. ive tried the blue tracking lights (they are horrible), ive also had great success with a lantern.. we used to cover up half of the lantern glass with aluminum foil to help direct the light to a specific spot

If your big old flashlight is a Maglight, they make LED replacement bulbs for them. I have a 3-D battery LED maglight and it puts out a pretty awesome beam of light. Find yourself a bulb and you would be good to go. If not, my dad recently bought a little energizer LED flashlight that holds 3 AAA batteries in it stacked side by side in a triangle, about 20-25 bucks at walmart, and just as bright as the expensive lights that run on $5 lithium batteries. Don't overlook a headlamp either, always nice to keep the hands free, especially after you find your deer and have to drag em back out.

If your big old flashlight is a Maglight, they make LED replacement bulbs for them. I have a 3-D battery LED maglight and it puts out a pretty awesome beam of light. Find yourself a bulb and you would be good to go. If not, my dad recently bought a little energizer LED flashlight that holds 3 AAA batteries in it stacked side by side in a triangle, about 20-25 bucks at walmart, and just as bright as the expensive lights that run on $5 lithium batteries. Don't overlook a headlamp either, always nice to keep the hands free, especially after you find your deer and have to drag em back out.

It is a mag light, and I didn't know they made the led bulb replacement. Thanks for the tip...although I might be tempted to buy a blood light as well.

NWBuck

Primos makes a blood tracking light. Works really well for me! It's light and rechargeable, I even use it to get to my stand if I need it.

flugge

I feel your pain. Been there done that a few times. Makes for a good laugh for all my buddies though. My wife calls it color ignorance not color blind.

I have a streamlight and a surefire. They both run on lithium batteries and are extremely bright. Going on 3 years with the same batteries.

If you want a great flashlight that puts out a ton of light on batteries that seem to last forever... Streamlight protac 2AA. It has a high, strobe, and low beam. runs on 2 AA batteries. I handed them out as gifts for my groomsmen a couple months ago, and every one if them has called me to tell me how awesome they are and they use them all the time. About the size of a mini mag light, so easily carried in your pocket. I've had one for about a year and a half and simply won't buy anything else. You can pick one up for around 40 online but they are frequently back ordered. Only downfall is the beam is kinda narrow, but it's incredible how bright the stupid thing is.

Sent from my DROID3 using IW

shadowpeople said:
If you want a great flashlight that puts out a ton of light on batteries that seem to last forever... Streamlight protac 2AA. It has a high, strobe, and low beam. runs on 2 AA batteries. I handed them out as gifts for my groomsmen a couple months ago, and every one if them has called me to tell me how awesome they are and they use them all the time. About the size of a mini mag light, so easily carried in your pocket. I've had one for about a year and a half and simply won't buy anything else. You can pick one up for around 40 online but they are frequently back ordered. Only downfall is the beam is kinda narrow, but it's incredible how bright the stupid thing is.

Sent from my DROID3 using IW

Like mine also. Carry extra batteries when blood trailing. They can burn through them on high beam. I don't use lithiums, maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

-}}}---------->

Top Bottom