Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dead raccoons

scooter

anybody finding any dead raccoons while out hunting? been seeing quite a few around SW IA. seeing some during the day acting sick, good idea if out and see any to take them down.

Just saw a show tonight on IPBN about urban coons. There is a new(?) strain of distemper in coons that can infect dogs and cats that are already vaccinated against distemper. Don’t know if this is what you are seeing or not.

I am a good bit away from you guys, but I found a few dead coons in one of the orchards on my farm not to long ago...kinda wondered the same thing as to how they died...definitely not shot

Distemper puts a lot of coon down every year. If you see one acting really strange send a junk arrow his way or give him a good tap to the back of the head. Either will be more humane than the distemper. I've trapped thousands of them and have only caught a few That were obviously sick.
Would defiantly like to hear more about this strain that can transfer to dogs. I don't like that one bit.

I watched the show fishbonker is talking about pretty neat. And ive seen a couple dead in the middle of fields kinda odd.

dead coons

last couple of years our coons have been poor. either sick or the hide has been poor, guessing there are just too many around, too bad the price of them is so low, sure miss when they were worth between 30 & 50 $ a piece, guess pita has forever changed that.:mad:

There has been 3 found in the last 2 weeks on the local golf coarse, 2 of them in a single night. Im very interested in this since I thought it was weird they just seemed to drop dead for no apparent reason. Should we contact anyone about this in case it has to do with a possible distemper danger to dogs? A good friend is the super there and he takes his dog to work every day. Would the DNR be a good contact, or someone else?

racoons

DNR would be a good choice guessing it's common to have them die off if overpopulated about like any thing in nature it takes care of itself, as stated in some earlier posts there was a good program on a nature show about urban racoons one thing they said was ring worms were a threat to man and pet's. they will act funny when out in the daytime and should not be approached, if possible i would just shoot them but be careful because it would still be illegal if out of season and no hunting license.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom