Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Trailer Buck

NWBuck

PMA Member
Well here's a story with kind of an interesting strategy involved, so I thought I'd post it for all to see...

My Dad, now 77, still likes to get out hunting, and has developed a pretty effective blind set up. Well...no need explaining it, here it is:
TB1.jpg
Needless to say, it's nice and cozy inside there on even the worst weather days :D

He has a real long walk from his house to the blind setup...
TB2.jpg
Dad likes to hunt with a decoy and uses his grunt tube quite a bit. Here's what the decoy setup looks like just east of the blind.
TB3.jpg
Friday morning, the 16th, he was set up and ready to go as daylight began to break. Just after legal shooting time, two bucks appeared below the blind by the fenceline. The first one skirted the setup just out of range, but the second committed to the decoy, side stepping with the stiff leg walk, looking for a fight. At 11 steps the buck was coming in to go nose to nose with the decoy and Dad let him have it with the crossbow. A straight on frontal shot right through the brisket and into the body. He said the entire bolt was inside the buck when he gutted him. I'm not the best at blood trailing, but believe even I could've followed this one :D
TB4.jpg
At the end of the short trail was a dandy buck! Not real wide, but great height and character junk too! Congrats on a terrific deer Dad!!
TB5.jpg
This is the second nice buck Dad has taken in this way, so I think our chances of getting him out of that trailer to hunt somewhere else are slim. Anyway, I know he's a lurker from time to time, so will let him fill in any other details I may have forgotten. Congrats again on a great buck Dad!!
TB6.jpg
NWBuck

Last edited:
Good stuff man congrats to your dad.

Now that is a blood trail..... wow

Mobile Cooter using IW

Probably the coolest blood trail I have ever seen right there. Great job! I wanna try that kind of setup turkey hunting!

Top Bottom