Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best thing to plant come spring?

tsainswo8768

So our plan is to plant some purple top turnips in the late summer. We want to plant something in the spring to attract deer to the area in the mean time as well as fight back the weeds and unwanted plants till then. we are going to do it in a couple different plots. Any suggestions?

Also is it ok to plant turnips one year after another as long as we fertilize and lime as needed?

Thanks guys
Tim

I think you can plant a clover/oat mix in the spring and till that under come time to plant turnips.. you shouldnt plant turnips for more than 2 consecutive years to cut down on diseases.. your best bet would be to follow dbltree's mix in his brassica thread and tells you how to rotate your crop so you always have something for them to eat

Check out all of "Dbltree's corner" postings. The guy has done a ton of research and has brought so much information for free to the viewers of this sight. I think he likes to suggest something like......

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

One of the easiest things to plant and maintain for early and then again late attracting of deer is RR soybeans. Tough to beat imo...

NWBuck

With the clover and spring wheat. Would have till under or could you just use a yard plug and add turnips? I mean if you choose a perennial clover? And I planted winter wheat and winter oats in August and the deer ate them down to bald spots. But I am looking at added 6 aces to the two I started this year. My over all goal would be to plant something once and not have to keep spending money every year.

If you don't want to spend money every year. Go with Clover. But you will still have to probably apply lime and fertilizer and then rotate the clover plot every 3 to 4 years.

Rotate a clover plot why is that. Disease or something
I just frost seed every year, hoping it will eventually be weed free one day

Top Bottom