Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

Thanks guys. I really did want to have him mounted, but I decided I was going to wait for one with some better spots on the sides and back. He does have a very good belly, so hopefully he is worth a little money. If I catch a big one that is colored like that smaller one, I will probably have to get it mounted. From what I've seen, it's kinda tough to find a good cat taxidermist in this part of the state, so I will have to do some looking around between now and next season (probably jinxing myself). There will be two fur buyers in town tomorrow, so I may actually get prices from both of them. I know cats are a pin in the butt to grade, and sometimes there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between a $75 and $300 cat. Statewide average was about $250 last year, but those were all western cats, so we'll see.

For us non-trappers, how do you go about releasing a trapped bobcat?

Shoot them in the head first! :D

I kid, I kid. I too have heard that you can cover them with a coat/blanket/etc and then pin that down and then release the foot. I would like to see that once before I ever do it myself though!

I'm not real sure about the blanket idea. If I would have given this little guy a blanket, I think he might have returned it as confetti. I have a homemade catch pole to grab them with. The key is getting the front paw in with the neck. This keeps those claws away and it also helps so you don't choke the cat down too far. Cats arteries run close to the surface of their skin, so they are very easy to choke out. Worked pretty well for me, the hardest part was getting that paw in there. It only took a couple seconds to cinch down, get the trap off, and take the noose off. He sure didn't want to leave when he was free. He just backed into some cattails and growled at us until we left.

I'm not real sure about the blanket idea. If I would have given this little guy a blanket, I think he might have returned it as confetti. I have a homemade catch pole to grab them with. The key is getting the front paw in with the neck. This keeps those claws away and it also helps so you don't choke the cat down too far. Cats arteries run close to the surface of their skin, so they are very easy to choke out. Worked pretty well for me, the hardest part was getting that paw in there. It only took a couple seconds to cinch down, get the trap off, and take the noose off. He sure didn't want to leave when he was free. He just backed into some cattails and growled at us until we left.

Sounds like a good method and I bet it provides some excitement. Thanks!

I just re-read this whole thread. Too many awesome comments and positives to let this thread die. I would also like to commend Skully for getting his boys involved and showing them great work ethic. Congrats man, so cool. To everyone else who commented on here, THANKS for the positive comments. Pics were awesome too. Anymore?

I did not take many pictures at all this year. Just a few when I got home and my little girl gets all excited about what I catch. I will take a pic before I sell em.

DSCF1115.jpg

DSCF1114.jpg

DSCF1112.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

DSCF1105.jpg

2012-11-14_16-55-42_960.jpg

2012-12-02_16-12-51_314.jpg

2012-11-14_18-55-55_129.jpg

2012-11-14_18-54-21_40.jpg

2012-11-27_10-37-42_399.jpg

2012-11-14_16-55-49_849.jpg

Love the pics Brian! The one of your daughter hugging the dead muskrat is priceless! Made me giggle! :D Also like the chain down the den shot. I have done that a couple times only to find a pissed off badger at the other end! Keep them coming boys! :way:

With highs projected to be upper 30's/low 40's next week, just wondering if it could get the coon out and moving a bit. thanks from a rookie trapper.

With highs projected to be upper 30's/low 40's next week, just wondering if it could get the coon out and moving a bit. thanks from a rookie trapper.

Like jnr said, the coon "rut" is quickly approaching. Boars will be out looking no matter of the weather. Try some 160 or 220 box sets with some type of fish and some blackies boar delight lure in it close to some den trees and I think you'll be surprised what you can catch this time of year.

I have done that a couple times only to find a pissed off badger at the other end!

That's exactly what was waiting for me down there. That was just a dirt hole set. But I did need a little more dry dirt for some other sets so it worked out pretty good!

Where could someone find trapping lure/supplies? I'm in s.e. iowa(duh) and not sure if there are any places close or just order online.Where would you guys recommend?

se/iowa.justin said:
Where could someone find trapping lure/supplies? I'm in s.e. iowa(duh) and not sure if there are any places close or just order online.Where would you guys recommend?

I've had good luck getting stuff from Minnesota Trapline

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Top Bottom