Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting Good Pictures

I usually run cameras from mid summer to late march. I use a mineral my buddy's cousin makes and owns (showmemineral). I also do a mix of corn and deer cane together after the season is over seems to work well. Try different stuff till you find what your deer like. It gets addicting, good luck!

I usually run cams basically all year long down here, we have deer that sometimes won't lose their antlers until April. I run them on Minerals from March-Oct, and the rest of the time I run them on food or water sources, trails, scrapes.

This is what I use for a mineral mix down here in MS, and it works great. I have been working on this mix for a few years, and I believe I have winner now, as the deer destroy anything you put it on. It makes 157 lbs of mix, which is enough for 6-10 sites depending on how much you put out. I will put it out in late March, and freshen it up in late June.

1-50 lb bag of NutreBeef(r) Mineral (A good all around mineral)
1-50 lb bag of Cargill Right Now(r) Emerald Mineral (A good spring mineral)
1-50 lb bag of Stock Salt
2-1 lb boxs of Baking Soda
2-2lb bags of Powder Sugar
1 container of Pre-Sweetened Grape Koolaid

I used the 2 separate free choice minerals for specific reasons, the NutreBeef Mineral, because it is an excellent all around mineral, that is very low in salt (max 20%), so you get more needed minerals per 50# bag that the deer can utilize. It also has dry molasses in it so it helps with palatability since most pure minerals tend to be bitter. The Cargill Emerald mineral is also a low salt mineral, but is a great spring mineral, that helps the deer in early spring to overcome their magnesium deficiency, the same as cattle before they are put on pasture in the spring. Both minerals have a good Calcium to Phosphorus ratio close to 2:1.

The reason for the baking soda, is, it acts as a rumen buffer, keeping the pH of their digestive tract in check, basically keeping stomach aches away. The plain stock salt is for spring and summer, as the deer will naturally go through a sodium deficiency because the moisture and potassium content of the lush green vegetation they eat, interferes with efficient sodium conversion in the body and increases the need for sodium. The sugar and koolaid is just for the initial wow factor, to help the deer locate the site, and is gone relatively quickly.

I would go put it out this weekend and see what deer made it through! You could put just about anything out and they will find it. I'm trying some feed they use for cattle. It's basically chopped/cracked corn and some modified corn distillers. GOOD LUCK!

Top Bottom