Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

Found a few more. Timekiller loves my dogs coat. He wanted to know where he could get his dog one.

IMG955490.jpg

2012-11-27_19-01-57_97.jpg

That's a pink camo Kevlar badger fighting coat. I know enough not to say anything bad about a dog tough enough to wear that.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Don't forget that trapping season runs through January 31'st. With a little snow on the ground it makes conditions perfect for snare-sets for coyotes. :way: You can actually continue trapping for beaver up through April 15th! And one new bit of info I saw in the regs this year, "You can shoot beaver, but not with a shotgun or spear." :D Wonder who caused that law to be implemented? Anyway, fur prices have been fair this year so keep after em'!!:way:

My contribution

Here's my contribution to this thread. :D

Decided to trap one night a little bit ago. Pulled traps the next day because I was tired of skinning. ;)

P1060004_zps1729fca0.jpg

BONKER!!!!! Have you been spreading your sincere and caring ways on my trap line? Its been a while since your "Free cat" post. Figured you had to be responsible for this! :D

picture.php

Well my first shed hunting outing didn't do to well on Saturday so Sunday I decided to set some under ice beaver sets at a creek that has been causing a farmer friend some problems. Every year he hires a backhoe to tear out the dam and by fall it is completely rebuild again. It has been a few years since I trapped it so I figured now was the time.

This is the dam:
picture.php

These are some tools of the trade: 3-30 conibears work great for these critters but must be kept completely under water in Iowa.
picture.php

This time of year, any open water should be considered "active" and it wasn't long before I spotted this....

picture.php

And this.......

picture.php

After the set was finished it looked like this:

picture.php

Notice the "diving logs" above the trap to make surface swimming beaver dive down into the trap. Also make sure there are no other tunnels close by, if so use sticks to block them off. Use dead limbs since fresh cut trees are considered food to beaver and they will yank them out! :D The water in front of this entrance was chest deep. Good waders are worth their weight in gold. Always use caution on creek ice. This creek is well over my head and I could not imagine going for a swim in it. Beaver activity will keep ice thin in spots. Thin re-freeze and a skiff of snow can hide what is below. Be very careful! I hope to have some beaver pics to show you soon. I caught my biggest beaver out of this creek about 20 years ago, I think it went about 65 lbs. :way:

BONKER!!!!! Have you been spreading your sincere and caring ways on my trap line? Its been a while since your "Free cat" post. Figured you had to be responsible for this! :D

Would I take a pic like that and post it? Duhhh. Of course I would but alas, I cannot claim this one. Funny pic.

The coons have been active around here. I caught 4 in the past few days. That is after a several week lull. Trap cam pics will be up in PMA in a few days.

I pulled traps already thinking the year was as good as done. Guess I should have waited till the end of season.I'm new at this so am learning alot from you guys and this thread. Thanks for all the info(and for getting me hooked on this),my boys and I had fun these past few weeks. I just got a dozen 220s after xmas and I am thinking of getting a couple dozen more.

You have more ambition than me Troy. I have quite a few area's that I am supposed to go trap, but I'm waiting for open water. I chopped a few beaver out of the ice early this year, and that was enough for me.

You have more ambition than me Troy. I have quite a few area's that I am supposed to go trap, but I'm waiting for open water. I chopped a few beaver out of the ice early this year, and that was enough for me.

With these temps this week I am wishing I had waited for soft water instead of this hard stuff! :D

Well, the beaver traps were only out a few days without any activity. This stretch of flooded creek goes on for over a mile and the animals have a huge area to travel. The cold temps last week made checking sets a real pain so I pulled them all until ice out. The boys and I used a portion of our fur earnings this year to purchase a Foxpro predator caller. Saturday morning was cool temps and calm winds. Perfect conditions for calling. I had some deer scraps that were getting hit hard so I decided to set up on that side of the farm. I purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 several months ago but never got a scope put on it so I decided to grab my old trusty Remington 30.06. Here is my set up.

picture.php

I Decided to let out a couple challenge howls then started in with a cottontail in distress. I actually climbed up into a buddy stand I have set up on the fence line so I had a great view. About two minutes into the set I saw movement about 1/4 mile away. It was a doe high tailing it out of my neighbors timber like a scalded dog! What I witnessed next was something that made me wish I had a camera crew along with me! Five adult coyotes ran out of the timber in a single file pack and jumped a full height fence. They then continued towards my distress sounds through a big CRP field. When they got about 150 yards from me they all split up as if in sync. Three traveled to my down wind side and two continued toward the sounds of the caller. When the lead male got broadside to me I let out a "wooof" and he stopped in his tracks. I squeezed the trigger and the shot was true. A tuft of fur flew out the other side and when he went into a spin I could see his side covered in blood. I jacked in another round "this is where the AR would have been handy" :D The three dogs that split downwind were in to much brush so I raised up on the other dog in the CRP but he was hauling the mail at about 300 yds by this time. I touched off another one but it was a clean miss. It was an amazing sight to see all of those guys hunting together. Goes to show how efficient these deer killers can be. Here is the one that didn't get away.

picture.php

I have a feeling I am going to have to get tricky to get the rest of the bunch but I will keep after them. :way:

Last edited:
Top Bottom