Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DIY Euro Mount

I think you are boiling them for to long. I Euro mount every one of my deer even if i am planning on doing a shoulder mount. But i do not use the method you are doing. I only boil mine for 2 hours in a pot after i have fleshed them out and taken as much meat off as i can. After 2 hours in the pot i pull them out and cut the remainder of the meat off or use pliers to pull if off. Then i boil it in clean water for another half hour, pull it out and power wash the rest off. It only takes 3 hours from start to finish. If you want it to be super white you can put it in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide for 15 min. It will whiten out more as it dries.

Petty much what I do, and just use normal hydrogen pyroxide then a couple days of sun. I dont like the white painted look. And I dont like any on the teeth.

So I got the skull all done and finally a state-shaped Iowa plaque.

Last but not least...what is the best way to attach the skull to the board?

I've read things about using a wooden dowel, through the board and into the foramen magnum (into the brain cavity).

What size of a dowel, etc. What's people on here use, etc?

Here it is NOT attached to the board...
photobucket-31562-1358708066064.jpg

The first one I did I cut down a piece of a broken arrow to go into the back of the skull. I still ended up wiring it to the plaque. The second one I did I just wired it. I used the braided picture hanging wire. Two small holes in the plaque and wrap the wire in through a couple if the small passages in the skull.

I would suggest simply screwing it on. There is plenty of bone for a screw to bite into.

I don't want to crack the skull...plus I want the capability of removing the skull from the plaque if need be.

Pack the brain cavity 2/3 full with papaer or foild and the fill the rest with Bondo & screw into that. :way:

I've read a bit about that...but concerned the Bondo, etc would leak into the small holes, etc and come out the eyes and what not.

The first one I did I cut down a piece of a broken arrow to go into the back of the skull. I still ended up wiring it to the plaque. The second one I did I just wired it. I used the braided picture hanging wire. Two small holes in the plaque and wrap the wire in through a couple if the small passages in the skull.

Pics? Interesting...

My wife had a ton of small coat hooks she had planned on using for a project but never got around to doing it. Well after 3-4 yrs of not having all my Euro on the wall i decided to try one of those hooks. I was amazed how well they worked. Could hardly see it behind skull. Hooks perfectly into the brain cavity. The hook has a enlarged end to kinda support the skull from slipping. The pointed jaw bone pieces that stick down is the 2nd contact of support. Can easily take down and hold with ease. Very sturdy! It also gives it a more forward look than downward facing look. Ill try and post pics of my setup to give ya a better idea.

My wife had a ton of small coat hooks she had planned on using for a project but never got around to doing it. Well after 3-4 yrs of not having all my Euro on the wall i decided to try one of those hooks. I was amazed how well they worked. Could hardly see it behind skull. Hooks perfectly into the brain cavity. The hook has a enlarged end to kinda support the skull from slipping. The pointed jaw bone pieces that stick down is the 2nd contact of support. Can easily take down and hold with ease. Very sturdy! It also gives it a more forward look than downward facing look. Ill try and post pics of my setup to give ya a better idea.

Yes, pics please! :drink2:

i use screw anchor and drill a hole in the skull just below the brain cavity and attach like that never falls off it bumped

Here's a pic of the wire method. I went in the passage where the optic nerve would be. You can see it if you look close, but I wasn't really that concerned with it. You could probably hide it a little better than I did.

photobucket-5475-1338740502262.jpg

I put a screw up through a plaque into the brain cavity on mine. Worked great, but i do like the idea if being able to take it down and look at it whenever you want.

toggle bolt works great and is removeable if you feel you need to. The only hole you would need to drill is in your plaque. Your euro turned out looking nice. Now the next one will be a piece of cake.:grin:

Top Bottom