Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

antelope hunt in Wyoming

killer buck

Hey guys, my brother and I are planning on going out to Wyoming to do some archery antelope hunting this upcoming August. We were looking into units 68, 72, or 73 to apply for. I know there is quite a bit of public ground in these areas, but I was wondering if any of you guys have been in any of those areas and have any thoughts about hunting out there and the odds of us drawing a tag for one of those units? This will be our first time goat hunting, trying do as much research as possible before hand. We were also looking at units 26,27, and 29, I know there is not as much public ground but is it pretty hard to get access on private ground for archery? Thanks

Thanks, yeah I have been looking at that and called a couple COs out there in regards of those areas. Just kind of wondering if anyone has been out there and had some experience and how pressured with people during archery season.

You won't see as many hunters out during bow season as you will during rifle season of course. I was out in a unit near Casper this past October and in 3 days all 3 hunters got their animals (rifle). We held off until the second week of the season and most of the other hunters in our unit were elk hunters per the local CO's we met. Keep in mind that animal numbers are down, but there's still plenty of goats to go after.

Last edited:
I actually just received my antelope mount back from Heying's Taxidermy in New Hampton, IA today.

150978_10100285364190053_658799155_n.jpg

Very happy with his work...Actually still has a sage smell to it!

Thanks for the info, the mount looks awesome and that's one heck of a goat. Hopefully I can see a goat like that

I think the mount actually makes him look bigger than he is. He's about 12" to the top of his antlers which is really a mediocre buck. Anything 14" or better is a real 'trophy' I guess you could say. My brother in law killed a 8.5" and his doesn't look that much smaller than mine with the way we had the ears laid back.

You can be a little picky on your goat. Look a few over before you shoot one so you can really judge their size and decide if that's the one you want.

My dad missed a 14"+ on the trip and I can say that was truly a monster buck.

Top Bottom