Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

puff of smoke?

Deaner

I know the president was just trying to have a photo op to make it look like he knows how to shoot guns and likes them..., but the picture that came out over the weekend (I tried to download it on here but I couldn't get it to work so hopefully someone more computer literate then I can post it) shows him supposdly skeet shooting at Camp David. My question to all of you is what is that puff of smoke at not quite the end of the barrel? You see the smoke coming out of the end of the barrel but about 3 or 4" back from the end of the barrel there is another puff of smoke shooting strait in the air. What the hell is that second puff of smoke from?

Obama-skeet-shooting-jpg_zpsa7655e9c.jpg

Hard to tell from the view but looks like the stock might be out on his biceps rather than in the shoulder pocket. If so, no wonder he wants less recoil. Seriously though, many that shoot a LOT of clays shoot ported guns. When shooting many thousands of rounds a year, even with relatively light loads, the dreaded "flinch" can rear it's ugly head and will hurt your score. Looks like a pretty piece of wood on that gun. Probably borrowed it from Cheney... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's a Browning 525 or 625 with ported barrels for clay shooting. Lots of guys in my Skeet league in Michigan used to shoot those same guns. Glad to see hes got a gun in his hand. I'll bet if it was a black gun he wouldn't have shot it :grin:

I don't buy it. I highly doubt he's shooting that gun because he likes to. My guess is it's a "good guy" ploy. "Look hunters and sportsmen, I'm on your side" while at the same time he guts our 2nd amendment. Just my opinion.

Sorry for the comment on ported barrels. I know a lot of doubles used for clays have ported barrels to make it easier for long days at the club.
I was just talkin some trash and didn't mean to offend or put any one down.

At the risk of sounding naive, I didn't know there was such things as ported barrels. Guess you learn something every day...

Mean Dean you can get them on most any barrel in one sense or another. Pistols, rifles, shot guns, muzzle loaders you name it.

Most of the new high quality sporting guns such as the one our President is holding is ported to reduce recoil to make a quick recovery on the second bird. Most skeet and sporting clay courses have follow up shots, whether it's a double or report pair.

To answer the original question what is the second smoke cloud. The first cloud is once the wad passes the port holes the gas escapes out the holes. The second is once the wad gets out the end of the barrel the remaining gas that didn't escape thru the ports is blown out the end of the choke tube.

Last edited:
Get that man in a layout blind next to me, looks like he has been shooting for years :)

Seriously though, I would like to crumple a goose and have it fall out of the sky and smack him upside the head.

Get that man in a layout blind next to me, looks like he has been shooting for years :)

Seriously though, I would like to crumple a goose and have it fall out of the sky and smack him upside the head.

Get him out here in December for an Iowa deer drive!!

Top Bottom