Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well after reading the paper just now I read there were 6 car / deer accidents between Jan.5 thru the 10th. I dont know if deer numbers are down or not but that seems like a significant amount. This was just one county. I just dont know if this argument has merit yet.

I 100% agree with Saskguy n Boonerz. If somebody wants to start a petition to stop the Jan antler less season, I'll sign it. You can't control how others hunt or what they want to shoot. Either by choice or accident. Get rid if the season and you won't have to worry about it so much.

I would only support getting rid of this season if the numbers are truely down. Ive only heard 1 story of ehd in this county and am suspicios of that story. This season continues to get referred to as the shed buck season and that is where I feel the jelousy and agenda kick in. Are we wanting to get rid of this season because of low numbers or the potential shed buck getting harvested? There is a big difference. Before everyone jumps on I do understand that some counties were hit pretty hard with ehd but were they hit hard enough to sustain themselves in the next couple years? Once again, I have never hunted the antlerless season but would like for those that reply to think about why they PESONALLY want this season to end. If its because you saw a drastic fall in numbers in your county or hunting area then you will get no argument from me.

boonerz said:
I thought we were talking about the need for late antlerless doe season not purely shed bucks or the traditional Iowa seasons which includes late muzzie...

Shooting shed bucks happens...happens to everyone...not a huge deal but something I don't try to personally do if I can help it. If it happens...sure we get over it and at the end of the day it is just a deer and the world keeps spinning. But I'm not sure why this keeps going back to shed bucks and now the traditional season. I thought it was intended to discuss the need for this late rifle season to reduce the state's deer population...

I've never shot a shed buck. It's been ten years since I shot a doe. The population on our farm is good and getting better. 90 percent of the neighbors around us are dozing their timbers and creek lines so I'm starting to see a lot more mature deer calling our ground home. My county doesn't have late antler less so it doesn't effect me. Pretty sure the county I'm from only allows like 3400 antler less tags a year. What's going to destroy the deer numbers in my area is habitat loss but nobody seems to care. I'm just very fortunate that my family owns ground that I can hunt, because if it keeps going the direction it's going in ten years maybe less if you don't own your own hunting ground a 2 year old 6 pointer is going to be a wall- hanger.

I've never shot a shed buck. It's been ten years since I shot a doe. The population on our farm is good and getting better. 90 percent of the neighbors around us are dozing their timbers and creek lines so I'm starting to see a lot more mature deer calling our ground home. My county doesn't have late antler less so it doesn't effect me. Pretty sure the county I'm from only allows like 3400 antler less tags a year. What's going to destroy the deer numbers in my area is habitat loss but nobody seems to care. I'm just very fortunate that my family owns ground that I can hunt, because if it keeps going the direction it's going in ten years maybe less if you don't own your own hunting ground a 2 year old 6 pointer is going to be a wall- hanger.

Join your local Pheasants Forever, Donate, help them puchase ground that can be turned into public hunting. It's the only thing, other than killing ethanol, that can save habitat. I'd blow up bulldozers and tiling machines, but jail time doesn't sound good.

A petition should happen!!!
This is a process just like guys on here r "doing their part" to speak up for gun rights. I don't tell the gun-rights folks to "not worry"- I think it's great 4 folks to speak up & tAke action 4 gun rights. Lot of ways to do that. Same with hunting regs & laws. This is generally a once a yr fight. Thankfully FB hasn't permanently won. Statistics, evidence and data "proves" deer numbers are down in vast majority of state on average. To levels lower than "agreed goals".

Perspective?

We are facing a "fiscal cliff". Our country is on the verge of fiscal collapse.

The Second Amendment is about to be repealed/amended.

There are more leeches on our "support systems" than the tax payers can support.

I'm supposed to worry about a shed buck getting killed?:confused:

Or whether WalMart pays a "living wage"?:confused:

My lobbying efforts will be focused on other issues.

We are facing a "fiscal cliff". Our country is on the verge of fiscal collapse.

The Second Amendment is about to be repealed/amended.

There are more leeches on our "support systems" than the tax payers can support.

I'm supposed to worry about a shed buck getting killed?:confused:

Or whether WalMart pays a "living wage"?:confused:

My lobbying efforts will be focused on other issues.

And of course that's ur right and I agree & applaud u for sticking up for above. U obviously don't want late ant season to go away. I respect ur opinion and side there- even though i disagree. For a group to "walk & chew gum"... Fight for multiple things is not that hard. If U were on the side against FB & for this season ending- a petition would take u all of 30 seconds to do. There's nothing wrong with siding or voicing on a concern about how our state manages its resources. Very quick & easy and personally, I think there's the opposite view o FB that does feel passionately about this. Lets be clear- FB isnt goin to let this issue die because of the gun debate or debt issues. They r far more organized than almost any force out there and they would love nothing more than folks like us to roll over or not say a thing. Nothing would please them more.

Ok, all you IowaWhinetailers! Time to step up and do something besides on-line complaining from your parent's basements. ;)

Got your attention yet? :D

Get there or shut up! :way:

LEGISLATIVE LISTENING SESSIONS ON NATURAL RESOURCES SET FOR JANUARY

Iowa's natural resource priorities will be the topic of three listening sessions sponsored by state legislators in January.

Meetings are set for:

-- Ames on Thursday, January 24, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Room 101, College of Design Building, Iowa State University (Sheldon Avenue Extension, east from Hyland Avenue).

The events are being co-hosted by State Senator Dick Dearden of Des Moines, chair of the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee, and State Rep. Chuck Isenhart of Dubuque, ranking member of the House Environmental Protection Committee. Area legislators have also been invited to sit on the listening panels.
Interested groups and the public are welcome to testify on conservation, climate, energy, environment and related issues, including outdoor recreation and state parks.
"We are setting our agenda for the 85th General Assembly, which covers 2013 and 2014," lsenhart said. "This is a chance for people who care about sustainable development and stewardship of our natural heritage to let us know what should be on our legislative to-do list so we can best serve the public interest," according to Isenhart. "For example, one of my questions is how can we make infrastructure investments in and create jobs through the production and use of all kinds of renewable energy."
According to Dearden, the committees are also looking for input on clean water, clean air, soil, wildlife, wetlands, habitat, rivers, lakes and trails.
Anyone may testify. Priority will be given to people who sign up in advance and those speaking for a group. Written input will also be collected for sharing with other legislators. To sign up, email bill.freeland@legis.iowa.gov or call 515-281-6311.

I just checked the DNR reporting site and the total harvest showed only 115273 for the entire year from Sept 15th to Jan 20. I can't check the trends page for this season yet, but I am guessing that is out of around 350,000 licenses sold. In 2005 that number was an estimate of 211,000 total and in 2006 a reported 180,000, as I try to remember, with about the same number of licenses issued. Anyone besides me see some thing terribly wrong with this picture? Any guesses for next year's harvest? Mine is around 105,000 total! That will mean MORE THAN 2 of every 3 licenses will go unfilled!

I love reading a great thread to only find IowaChiro poisoning it with his "know it all" attitude...

The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended VOTES: 160 - 71.43%
I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay VOTES: 7 - 3.13%

Well, at least from "hunters" point of view- I think the response, stance and position is very clear. Hunters aren't "every citizen" but they sure are incredibly impactful & our state's most valuable management tool. DNR sides with you on this issue. DNR needs to win this issue & be the "decider" VS Farm Bureau & our Biologist Governor Brandstad.

I truly will do a some learning on how petitions work. Maybe some others will as well or know a lot more. Thanks to all that contributed. I think many are doing more though too- lot of folks mentioned how they wrote in to Gov, DNR, Legislature, etc. Thanks all- great discussion and sure think FB has a lot of good solid opposition to all their $, lobbying, etc.

I love reading a great thread to only find IowaChiro poisoning it with his "know it all" attitude...

Hmm..seems a lot of folks agreed with me in this thread Palex, and I imagine your opinion of me would be different if I was on the other side of the argument. I admit to being a bitter sonofabitch towards farmers. Had a couple of them tell me a few years ago, and I quote, "Iowa is for farming now, if you want to hunt, go out west". That kind of flipped a switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom