Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

coyote hunters and their dogs.

I guess I can see the reasoning of the CO, that you can't 'neccessarily' control the dog once it's out of the kennel. But, if the dog owner is knowingly letting them run through some property with the intention of pushing out coyotes, then that should be illegal. Hard to prove, but there needs to be some reasonable way to enforce.

If your man enough to shoot a dog you should be man enough to tell the owner you did it and if any of you really have the nuts to do that pm me and I will give you my number so you can call me to come watch. I will bring the popcorn.

I guess the dog will be kept where it belongs then.

papajess said:
It mean keep your dog on the property that you have permission. Simple as that.

Well I don't own coyote dogs nor do I hunt with them anymore. We found out its not worth feeding them just to send them through posted properties. It's a lot easier just to drive on a bordering property and dump a 30 round clip into the timber and watch the coyotes and "your" deer go haywire! I kid, I kid, the only thing stopping people from doing it is ethics. So it could be a lot worse than a random dog not getting caught before it crosses your fence line.

Happy once :)

I was out late muzzleloader season a few years back and movement was ssllllooooowwwwww. Then I heard the bay of a coyote hound off in the distance, coming closer. I thought it might not be a bad thing if the hound drove a deer past me, not my dog so how could I be at fault? :D

As luck would have it, the dog did not send any deer my way. He did run past me within sight though.

I chuckled as he left my property and hit the river bottom across the road. It wasn't long and the dog's owner truck was tearing up and down the road (he runs locator collars), with no roads for miles to access the river bottom. ;)

Just some FYI for those that want to shoot the dogs. You might want to check out the Iowa Code. I would hate to see this happen for both parties. With todays technology of the garmin tracking systems its not the same old 3 S's anymore.

Section 717B.2 It is a criminal offense to injure or kill a dog in the state of Iowa. The unjustified killing of a dog may result in imprisonment up to 2 years, up to 6250 dollar fine, or both.

The only justification for shooting a dog is if you can prove it is molesting livestock and that can be very difficult.
You should re read that section. There is a list of reasons you are allowed to shoot a dog. This is just one of them. Most country dogs do not have rabies tags. I know mine dont.

351.26 Right and duty to kill untagged dog.

It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.

Last edited:
I guess it must be where your located. I don't run dogs anymore but did for 30 years. I haven't found any non-locals that said no if we waited till after deer season. And most of the hound guys now don't even carry a gun. Dogs catch them or they go free. Alot of yotes this time of year are at peak rut and some don't mind taking off on a straight line for 20 miles. But I would always stay clear of people's ground that were dead set against it. jclaws a CO might be able to clarify that but I think hunting dogs are classed differently. And yes there are a few bad apples as with anything. You folks need to contact your Reps. and Sen. to get the law changed. You can talk tough on here all you want to but but i have known some hound owners that if you shoot a dog you will want to sell your property. Just talk to them reasonably. Then call the law if you think you need to. A dead coyote ain't all bad.

I guess it must be where your located. I don't run dogs anymore but did for 30 years.
And times change...

Used to be most land was owned by farmers who were more than happy to have coyotes killed. People who ran coyote dogs probably didn't even have to ask, as most farmers never batted an eye, could have cared less. Now, land ownership is shifting towards the recreational landowner. I fall into that group.

As things change, as much as the coyote hound runners hate it, they are going to need to realize it and adapt or quit.

JNRBRONC said:
And times change...

Used to be most land was owned by farmers who were more than happy to have coyotes killed. People who ran coyote dogs probably didn't even have to ask, as most farmers never batted an eye, could have cared less. Now, land ownership is shifting towards the recreational landowner. I fall into that group.

As things change, as much as the coyote hound runners hate it, they are going to need to realize it and adapt or quit.

Things up my way must be different. Only a few people don't allow coyote hunters now and that's because they've had a bad experience with them. Which is understandable. Back when we used dogs we tried to make sure they stayed off but accidents did happen from year to year. Surprisingly though I don't remember a time when we had a big confrontation with a landowner over dogs. A group south of us had a dog shot but that's about the only time I've heard of anything like that happening. Funny thing is we've picked up more hunting ground since the cattle market went up. Some that used to hate coyote hunters are allowing us to hunt now. I also don't know a single piece of property in my area owned by a non resident. I guess the farmers dozing all the timbers isn't completely bad. At least we can hunt the little cover left rather than look at no trespassing signs, and our 480 will never get dozed.

I was sitting in my house last weekend and had a truck come screaming up my driveway, we live on a dead end road, pulled off of my driveway and into my crp. He then proceeded to get out with his rifle and sit there waiting for his dogs to get through the neighbors ground to the north of me. He was parked 65 yards from my front door step. I really didn't want to tell the guy off because he lives about 3 miles from me and I don't want to be the bad neighbor, had he fired his gun off though, the dnr would have been called. I'm really not sure what he thought he was doing because there is no where on that road where he could have shot his gun because he would have been within 200 yards of a house at all times. Coyote hunters frustrate me to say the least. If I can't legally come through your property then don't send your property through mine.

I also see a loophole in this system for shed hunters and poachers, both resident and non-resident, all they would have to do is turn their dogs loose on your property and then walk in after them collecting all the sheds that they wanted, if they where found on your property, all they would have to say is I was going in to retrieve my dog and hide the sheds or deer. I hate to say it, but I could definately see something like this happening. There needs to be more regulations regarding what a coyote hunter can and cannot do.

I don't know how much snow you guys get but another problem in minnesota is kids running fox and coyotes on their snowmobiles running them over for giggles. They don't care whose land their on and most of the time your at work when they do it.

I realized this along time ago. Surprised it lasted this long. Yes we are changing into are mother country. Jolly ole England.

brand32-09 said:
I was sitting in my house last weekend and had a truck come screaming up my driveway, we live on a dead end road, pulled off of my driveway and into my crp. He then proceeded to get out with his rifle and sit there waiting for his dogs to get through the neighbors ground to the north of me. He was parked 65 yards from my front door step. I really didn't want to tell the guy off because he lives about 3 miles from me and I don't want to be the bad neighbor, had he fired his gun off though, the dnr would have been called. I'm really not sure what he thought he was doing because there is no where on that road where he could have shot his gun because he would have been within 200 yards of a house at all times. Coyote hunters frustrate me to say the least. If I can't legally come through your property then don't send your property through mine.

I also see a loophole in this system for shed hunters and poachers, both resident and non-resident, all they would have to do is turn their dogs loose on your property and then walk in after them collecting all the sheds that they wanted, if they where found on your property, all they would have to say is I was going in to retrieve my dog and hide the sheds or deer. I hate to say it, but I could definately see something like this happening. There needs to be more regulations regarding what a coyote hunter can and cannot do.

Steal your sheds? I must be in a different part of the country because in my group there's not a single person that gives two sh#ts about a stupid antler that fell off a deer. I've went out before with friends when I was bored but other than that nobody cares. I hope it never gets that bad around here or I would gladly quit hunting. A lot of people on here are victims. That's what I get out of it. Wether it's stolen stands people trespassing people shooting by there house everybody has a story. If a non hunter got on here and read through a lot of these thread topics they would think all hunters are idiots. I'm starting to think that myself.

Things up my way must be different.
I would agree that this is probably a regional issue. I would bet that areas of the state with highly sought after deer properties (southern two tiers of counties, E & NE IA, etc.) would be less hound friendly.

I'll give an open invitation to anyone that wants to come ride for a day to come on over. You can see that not all off these guys are the rotten bastards you make them out to be.

I'll give an open invitation to anyone that wants to come ride for a day to come on over. You can see that not all off these guys are the rotten bastards you make them out to be.
If I accept your invitation, may I taze the ones that are?:D

Last edited:
timekiller said:

TM I agree that way more are good than bad, but the bad ones typically are really bad and not borderline. It gives the whole sport a black eye.

Just like we debate the negative and the positive typically is forgotten about.

My question to the guys saying control the dogs is how would you plan on doing this? If any over you have had bird dogs I'm guessing you didn't shock the dog while pointing a bird. These dogs aren't your typical house dogs and aren't always easy to catch. I'm am just curious on suggestions instead of ripping the system. I've had deer HUNTS ruined by farm cats, farm dogs, and coyotes so I know what its like to be frustrated. I'm not fully understanding the problem with a hound running a coyote multiple sections and ending up in a posted farm. That dog and the hunter aren't after a trophy animal and are doing land owners, farmers, and deer hunters a favor. With that said I do see the issue with guys casting their dogs where they shouldn't be and driving/ walking where they do not have permission. If someone is opposed to it ask the hunters to catch their dogs (not as easy as it sounds) and everyone go about their day.

It's the same concept as the people that want to ban assault weapons. Most people that are against coyote hunting have never even tried it for one reason or another. Most people who want to ban assault weapons have never been around them. They see them being used in negative ways and instantly everyone that owns one is in the same category as the person that used the weapon negatively. They see a guy doing something wrong coyote hunting all are put into that category. I'm over it everything in my area is fine. I feel sorry for the people that have to deal with the few down south and I hope they stay down there.

Top Bottom