Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

coyote hunters and their dogs.

Been following the thread and I think it's been said multiple times that having a dog run a coyote through someones property that started running a coyote a section or 2 or 8 over that it wouldn't be as big of a deal but it's when someone stops on a road right on someones property lines and lets the dogs out to run through property marked with No Trespassing signs ect. is where it becomes an issue. Or when someone drives within 65 yards from someones front door with rifle in hand waiting for their dog to come running through hopefully with a coyote in front of it. I don't own land but if I did, I would also be frustrated with someone purposely letting their dogs run through my property. But if the whole chase started over a couple sections or miles whatever the case may be, I understand that the dogs are just doing what they think is right. I think what people are trying to get across who is bothered by this loophole or situation whatever the case may be is to just be courteous of other people and to use your best judgement when it comes to some of these issues.

If I accept your invitation, may I taze the ones that are?:D

Sure, but it shouldn't be a problem.:way:

Seriously though I know that there are bad ones out there that at best give the yote hunters a bad name, and at worst are just dangerous. Where we hunt is not deer heaven either-it's mostly open farm country where 5 mile races are not uncommon. There's not much timber for the yotes to circle around in. With good tracking it only takes a dog a few minutes to get through a section. Usually any deer that get bumped run out ahead of the dogs, and then right back around to where they came from. Oh,.... and any dog that thinks he was made to chase deer doesn't get too far into his career unless he changes his way of thinking.

My question to the guys saying control the dogs is how would you plan on doing this? If any over you have had bird dogs I'm guessing you didn't shock the dog while pointing a bird. These dogs aren't your typical house dogs and aren't always easy to catch. I'm am just curious on suggestions instead of ripping the system. I've had deer HUNTS ruined by farm cats, farm dogs, and coyotes so I know what its like to be frustrated. I'm not fully understanding the problem with a hound running a coyote multiple sections and ending up in a posted farm. That dog and the hunter aren't after a trophy animal and are doing land owners, farmers, and deer hunters a favor. With that said I do see the issue with guys casting their dogs where they shouldn't be and driving/ walking where they do not have permission. If someone is opposed to it ask the hunters to catch their dogs (not as easy as it sounds) and everyone go about their day.

I would start with training your dog. I know its not easy to train a dog but guess whos problem that is? You also said its not easy to catch your dogs also whos problem?

Been following the thread and I think it's been said multiple times that having a dog run a coyote through someones property that started running a coyote a section or 2 or 8 over that it wouldn't be as big of a deal but it's when someone stops on a road right on someones property lines and lets the dogs out to run through property marked with No Trespassing signs ect. is where it becomes an issue. Or when someone drives within 65 yards from someones front door with rifle in hand waiting for their dog to come running through hopefully with a coyote in front of it. I don't own land but if I did, I would also be frustrated with someone purposely letting their dogs run through my property. But if the whole chase started over a couple sections or miles whatever the case may be, I understand that the dogs are just doing what they think is right. I think what people are trying to get across who is bothered by this loophole or situation whatever the case may be is to just be courteous of other people and to use your best judgement when it comes to some of these issues.

Well said- a little courtesy goes a long ways.

I would start with training your dog. I know its not easy to train a dog but guess whos problem that is? You also said its not easy to catch your dogs also whos problem?

Not trying to upset you but you clearly haven't been invloved in any hound hunting. This is exactly going with what bowtech said as far as people hoping on the negative band wagon on assault rifles. In my opinion if you don't have knowledge about something you shouldn't try and tell someone else how it's done.

Papajess-
I'm guessing you haven't spent a whole lot of time around coyote hounds. It's not quite that easy. It's not lack of training- it's that you're trying to keep a dog with one purpose in life from doing the only thing he knows how to do. It can be a bit challenging.

Not trying to upset you but you clearly haven't been invloved in any hound hunting. This is exactly going with what bowtech said as far as people hoping on the negative band wagon on assault rifles. In my opinion if you don't have knowledge about something you shouldn't try and tell someone else how it's done.

Your right i havent. And im not trying to tell you how its done im telling you yo stay on property that you have permission and if you cant follow those LAWS i advise a different hobby.

papajess said:
Your right i havent. And im not trying to tell you how its done im telling you yo stay on property that you have permission and if you cant follow those LAWS i advise a different hobby.

If you had read any of this thread you would realize that no laws are being broke by dogs going on posted property. That's what it's about. So the whole follow LAWS or get a new hobby doesn't apply. But thanks for trying.

TM I agree that way more are good than bad, but the bad ones typically are really bad and not borderline. It gives the whole sport a black eye.

Just like we debate the negative and the positive typically is forgotten about.

I most certainly agree. The same can be said about just about any sport. Bowhunting. Shotgun hunting. Party Hunting. Semi auto rifle owners. Anyone who uses a high capacity magazine.

As for the dogs running the deer, as Timekiller said, the dogs that take a liking to that don't make it long into their career. The good dogs are quite fascinating and are at the most, a brief disturbance to a deer.

I live next to a large public hunting area and this happens a lot with both coyote hunters and coon hunters. Several years ago I watched 4 coon hunters come up to the fence dividing my property from the neighbors. They were on the neighbors land and they lifted their 3 dogs over my fence and started walking across my yard to go out my lane to the road. I went out and told them to go back over the fence and walk out to the road through the brush. They told me they didn't have to because they were only getting their dogs. I told them to take their dogs back where they had caught them. They told me they didn't have to because they couldn't control where the dogs went. I backed off a little but still told them to get moving and not to come back because they were not welcome. I live over a quarter of a mile off a little used country road and don't want any one walking across what I consider my yard in the dark at 10:30 at night carrying pistols and a rifle. They may have been great guys but when they gave me guff they wore out their welcome. :thrwrck:
Lets consider another possible situation. I am walking my dog past your house and decide to turn him lose to do his business in your yard. Instead he sees a cat and chases it through the pet door into your house. He can't catch the cat but after running around a little he has to go and poops on your kitchen floor. If this happens every weekend is that ok? After all I really can't control that and he is only doing what dogs do. I guess that I could just walk into the kitchen to retrieve him because I do have that legal right. :rolleyes:

Please understand that I do very much respect other's rights to property, but I also realize that lots of coyote hunters use this as an excuse to allow their dogs to run anywhere they choose to run them. Also I have watched some of these hunters shoot across roads and certainly across fences where they have no permission of any kind to do so with rifles, shotguns and even with semi-auto pistols. I don't honestly have a good solution to this problem except to use common sense and respect instead of doing what ever you want just because you are coyote hunting. Remember the "do unto others rule", but then maybe you don't really care if my dog poops in your kitchen, even if I do.:D

I have followed some of these guys before and they go country block after block doing this. The ones I've seen just go wherever because of the "who can stop us attitude." I hunt, I trap, and I wonder if something happens to one of their dogs on land they don't have permission on, do you think they won't raise hell because their dogs got injured or killed in my traps, thats the bs I have to worry about.I know I shouldn't have to worry about this, but look at some other examples of stupid people winning cases they shouldn't win.

Listen I'm sure every landowner on here has had to work their tail off to get the land they have. I cant tel you what I did to get here unless I drank 2 six packs. I know that unless you own land you will never understand how important it is to the person that owns it.

We had more than one war over land and when you trespass for any reason on a landowner you are pushing what may be the nicest person to the edge. I dont want anyone on my place that I dont let go and some of my own family aint welcome due to their actions. I will defend my property against any action be in in court or in the field.

Notice the red, white and blue flag that flys over that yellow one. Its my FOB so dont think I wont defend it. I be other land owners are pretty protective of what may be the most important thing they own and stand for freedom and private property on ones own land.

I have a zero tolerance policy when it come to trespassing on my farm. I also have a zero tolerance policy with dogs that run deer. Having said that I could care less if coyote hounds cross my property after all the deer seasons are over. If a coyote hound is trained properly it only chases coyotes and wont even pick its head up to look at a deer. A few seasons ago I was shed hunting when a pack of 4 hounds chased a coyote though my property. I watched 20 deer stand within 60 yards of the coyote as he come through the timber and then the dogs came through on the coyotes trail. None of the deer ran or even acted scared. That tells me that the deer haven't been chased by dogs previously. Needless to say the deer weren't affected. What is important as a land manager is controlling coyote populations. Especially if your a deer manager. I have heard that a coyote will kill as many as 20 fawns each Spring. So imagine what half a dozen will do to the herd in your area. Now think about those buck fawns from that 190" you saw last fall being carried in the mouth of a coyote this Spring. Even if you manage coyotes by calling, spot and stalk, running with trucks, running hounds, trapping or all of the above you cannot thin the population enough. Rarely will coyotes get away from well trained dogs unless the coyote gets in a culvert. So it is a very effective method and shouldn't be stopped in my opinion. I could care less if the dogs run through but the hunters shouldn't be shooting or walking on land they don't have permission because safety becomes an issue. If you hunt with hounds I would recommend waiting until after deer season so your dogs don't affect someone elses hunt. Regardless of your coyote hunting tactics as a deer manager I wish you the best of luck and hope you kill all you can. :way:

Top Bottom