Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
You could frost seed clover and add lime, P&K asap afterwords but you can also till inn lime and fertilizer with a disc this spring, the cultipack (or firm soil by some other means) broadcast clover seed and cultipack again.

Lacking a cultipacker is what makes frost seeding so appealing...:way:

No cultipacker here yet. I thought about dragging a harrow across it, just to break it up a bit. Then frost seed it.

Thanks.

Some of those seeders can take some practice!
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

Dbletree: One of our clover plots is due to be turned over into something else so this year I will use the space next to it that was Brassicas before to plant a new clover plot. The area is about 1.5 acres. I have always used Clover Plus from Biologic before, but this year I want to order from Welter's. Do you still use them for seed? If not who should I order through? I am planning on Alice White, Kopu II, and Jumbo Ladino; Do I need to order the coated or non-coated? Should I mix any oats in with the clover blends? Thanks as always for your plethora of information.

Yes those three are a great mix from Welters. You can also get a hold of Aron Palm from IA-MO Hybrid Mix also has a great mix of white clover. His cell is 641 919 1695

You might want to call them both and compare prices and shipping, but they both have great mixes.

Coated/uncoated is fine.

If you plan on planting this in the spring, I would plant oats with the clover as a nurse crop.

Yes those three are a great mix from Welters. You can also get a hold of Aron Palm from IA-MO Hybrid Mix also has a great mix of white clover. His cell is 641 919 1695

You might want to call them both and compare prices and shipping, but they both have great mixes.

Coated/uncoated is fine.

If you plan on planting this in the spring, I would plant oats with the clover as a nurse crop.

Which oats would I need to order? I know I have seen you mention Jerry Oats in some of your posts. How much should I include for 1.5 acres with the clover? Thanks.

Which oats would I need to order? I know I have seen you mention Jerry Oats in some of your posts. How much should I include for 1.5 acres with the clover? Thanks.

50#'s oats per acre is fine and any oats will do and you may find them in your area to avoid shipping costs. :way:

... What's the latest that you'd attempt to plant clover for a spring planting? Not sure when I'm going to get my lime down, but it's looking like it may be a while. Just curious as to what would be the latest that you'd plant clover before just deciding to wait until fall?

Thanks.

I'm in central MO. Thanks!

Steve

Early May perhaps but if ample moisture clover can be established almost anytime. Summer brings risk of drought however so earlier is better.

Early May perhaps but if ample moisture clover can be established almost anytime. Summer brings risk of drought however so earlier is better.

May be that long before all this snow melts Paul.

We still have 12" or more up North and will hopefully frost

seed next week. Maybe. :confused:

A little advice needed here. I have two plots that were radishes this past fall. I want to go and do some frost seeding this weekend if we get enough snow melt.

I am gearing up towards transitioning these two plots to a clover / blend of clovers.

My question is besides the white clover is their another to add, perhaps a red? Maybe some chickory? Just looking to see what you have used in the past. Both plots are roughly an acre in size and I have the means to clip them if needed.

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to leave them in clover if they take off good. Last year I put them into clover in the spring and burnt them off late summer and put into raddish.

Again, thanks for the help here

One white clover is fine but you can add red to get things started (red will eventually die out), you could also add some crimson clover to get some quick growth (crimson is an annual)

You can mix several white clover varieties for diversity, the deer could care less but weather/pest/grazing extremes may hit one clover harder then another and a mix is just a little insurance.

Alice, KopuII and Jumbo Ladino are a good combo :way:

April 13th, 2013

White clover doesn't look like much first thing in the spring...

but that brown patch turns lush green soon enough!

and if you wisely planted winter rye in the plot...it easily keeps them fed and adapted to coming there....year around

grasses are always trying to invade the clover areas but they can easily be cleaned up with herbicides

The end of may and first part of June are excellent times to spray clovers to kill grasses and our favorite mix is this

12 ounces clethodim, 6-8 ounces glyphosate and 1 quart of crop oil per acre

Sprayed on when clovers are actively and robustly growing in late spring, glyphosate will have little effect on established white or red clovers and we kill the cereal rye at the same time with the same mix. Use a BP sprayer, ATV sprayer or tractor mounted sprayer and get the job done to keep your clovers grass free!

Soil test this time of year and apply lime, P&K as needed (if needed) because healthy clover will stand a better chance of out competing weeds/grasses and tolerating drought if well fed.

In some cases a small clover plot or trail is all there is room for but if you have a 1/2 acre or more (our plots are typically 2-5 acres) consider planting a combination of crops that will keep deer coming to one place year around...making them incredibly easy to pattern and...harvest.... :way:

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28

I had a good stand of newly seeded white clover last fall but I'm afraid it is wiped out. I've not seen anything growing back yet. Do have about half a stand of red clover in the rye,radish,pea patch.

As many of you have seen we were recently buried with anywhere from 6-24 inches of snow and ice up here in SD. Looks like more snow or rain to come this week too. While we welcome the moisture I would rather it hold off as rain. It will be a couple weeks at best until we can put a disc to any ground in south central SD. How late is too late to put white clover seed down? I wish we could have frost seeded, but I wanted to work up a couple of plots that have been other plantings the last couple years. I need to work the soil and prepare the seed bed yet before I do any seeding.

As many of you have seen we were recently buried with anywhere from 6-24 inches of snow and ice up here in SD. Looks like more snow or rain to come this week too. While we welcome the moisture I would rather it hold off as rain. It will be a couple weeks at best until we can put a disc to any ground in south central SD. How late is too late to put white clover seed down? I wish we could have frost seeded, but I wanted to work up a couple of plots that have been other plantings the last couple years. I need to work the soil and prepare the seed bed yet before I do any seeding.

as long as you get moisture almost anytime is fine, add some seed as soon as snow melts!

Paul, I have a clover plot that I don't rotate out that's looking like it needs revitalized can I replant clover with good results or should I rotate out?

Paul, I have a clover plot that I don't rotate out that's looking like it needs revitalized can I replant clover with good results or should I rotate out?

You can re-plant Travis but results are usually better if you can give it even a few months break. Tilling it under and planting a summer crop of oats, buckwheat or millet for example and then planting rye and clover in late August would yield better long term results.

Top Bottom