Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This is in the legislative forum.

Risto2351

First off, you don't know what your talking about.

The taxes on land for residents and non-residents landowners is exactly the SAME!

Also, I bet my family and I spend just as much as you do or more on groceries, gas, and food. We always support our local town.

Don't go telling me the just because your a resident you should get special privlages.

My family and I have been hunting, fishing and trapping in Iowa for the past 15 years before Iowa was even on the radar for a prime whitetail spot.

This is the Unites States of America. It's a free country! Your telling me a family who makes a big investment in purchasing land can't even hunt it? Your telling me that constitutional?
C'mon? If your think that's right? C'mon man.

I was born and raised in Iowa but I had to move with my job. Now I can't even come back to my home state and hunt deer that I had for 10 years? It's unreal and it's most of you residents who thinks there superior to everyone else that won't let non resident landowner hunt there own LAND!

You put blood, sweat and tears into your land and you can't even enjoy your hard work?
That's not right and everyone of you know it.

Maybe try buying some land in the state you are in now?

I'm sitting in a hotel in Indianola, eating some local pizza and drinking some beer. Spent quite a bit of $$$ in Iowa the last few days. Just talked with 2 of my local landowner neighbors.

Found some sheds, I'm in for the long haul, whatever they choose to do? We enjoy it. I think there is a solution to this issue, I'm confident both sides can work this out.

What does any of this have to do with buying land in the state I reside in now?

As a matter of fact I own land in both Iowa and the state I live in now.

This issue of non resident landowners hunting there OWN LAND will never be solved due to selfish, cocky residents who think they have all the rights.

non resident land owners

It still amazes me how some residents struggle with understanding why non resident landowners feel they should at least be able to buy an any sex permit every year. We own the property and that in itself is enough to secure us the priviledge. Basically it is no different than owning anything.You own it you should be able to use it.Tell me how many acres does an Iowa resident have to own to get a free tag?Residents are always refering to the fact they own the deer and in a sense they are correct but nrlo s also help feed them and provide the habitat for them to flourish.More thanonce I have heard some people think we are selfish because we limit access to others to hunt our land.Like we should reward them while they carry this torch to support not allowing us to hunt.As far as Im concerned it should cost me exactly what it cost an Iowa resident to hunt in Illinois if he owns land here.No way can it be considered fair to be in a lottery with non residents who do not own land.At least some of you are seeing agrilcuture is driving land costs up rather than deer hunters.I would think a legislative group that can be influenced to make decisions about something they have little knowedge of could some day screw you boys over something that matters to you!

wwo22 to say that you spend more money in our state than we do is ridiculous. You can come on here all hot and bothered and piss and moan all you want but it's not gonna get you anywhere.

Has any nonresident landowner ever been allowed the same privilages as Iowa residents? NO! If you think Iowa should change just because you bought land here. Your out of your damn mind.

Last edited:
Hot & bothered? Your funny. It's the fact that I am correct about this situation is what is pissing the big residents of Iowa off.

I lived in Iowa until I was 25 and I've been gone now for 5 years.

It's pretty said that I had to move with my job and I can't even come back to my home state in the United States of America and hunt my OWN land? And you can honestly tell me that you think that is correct? If you think that it is then I will never post on this site again.

I still have a house in Iowa which I pay a mortgage on just like you superior residents do! I probably spend more money in Iowa then most of you on here! And I know that's a fact!

Never once did I say the non resident landowners get 3 tags just like the resident landowners do but 1 any sex tag a year would be nice! They can keep the price too. I don't care about that.

What I do care about is your bone headed residents who think their s*** don't stink pisses me off. I was a resident too once.

I always let residents hunt and fish on my land. From deer to coyotes.

So don't go telling me that I'm all hot and bothered when I am 100% correct on this situation.

This is a free country! No one and I mean no one should be able to tell you that you cannot hunt on your OWN HARD EARNED LAND!

Seems to me NR landowners knew the rules and regulations before buying any Iowa land. Unless they've owned it for 50 years, and the rules and regs were different back then, they have no leg to stand on, it is what it is. Nobody forced you to buy it.

wwo22- You knew you'd lose your resident hunting privileges as soon as you became a non-resident. Nobody forced you to move. That was a choice you consciously made. It doesn't matter if you spend a billion dollars a year in Iowa, the law is the law, if it changes it changes, but until that day, your argument doesn't hold any water. No reason to get all worked up about it, move back if its that big of a deal to you.

Last edited:
I moved because I did what was best for my family and I and I know all of you would do the same thing.

This NRLO sitaution will never change because most Iowa residents won't let it happen.

I said what I had to say. I didn't know there were so many close minded, selfish users on this site.

I guess I should be pissed when I took the wife and kids to Florida because I didn't get the resident discount on the $1000 plus I spent on Disney tickets.
If it was up to me I would let every NR land owner get ONE either sex tag for their property, but the problem is there would be another flood of NR landowners making the price of property sky rocket.

Risto2351

First off, you don't know what your talking about.

The taxes on land for residents and non-residents landowners is exactly the SAME!

Also, I bet my family and I spend just as much as you do or more on groceries, gas, and food. We always support our local town.

Don't go telling me the just because your a resident you should get special privlages.

My family and I have been hunting, fishing and trapping in Iowa for the past 15 years before Iowa was even on the radar for a prime whitetail spot.

This is the Unites States of America. It's a free country! Your telling me a family who makes a big investment in purchasing land can't even hunt it? Your telling me that constitutional?
C'mon? If your think that's right? C'mon man.

I was born and raised in Iowa but I had to move with my job. Now I can't even come back to my home state and hunt deer that I had for 10 years? It's unreal and it's most of you residents who thinks there superior to everyone else that won't let non resident landowner hunt there own LAND!

You put blood, sweat and tears into your land and you can't even enjoy your hard work?
That's not right and everyone of you know it.

WW,

I am glad you put it in perspective on your second post on IW to let me know I do not know what I am talking about. My wife tells me that all the time.
That being said I will answer your post.

Yes you are correct about the land taxes and they are not that much.

No one said we were superior but tell me when the last time you filed an Iowa income tax form?

If you do not live here there is no way in heck you spend as much as I do in our iowa economy. I went to an Iowa Walmart tonight, little ceasar's pizza, Blaine's farm and fleet and ate at an Iowa restaurant this afternoon. So if you do not live in Iowa how do you spend that much in Iowa every week 52weeks a year.

Final question is if you knew what the rules where when you left why bitc@ about it now?
Because you knew the consequences but a job was better elsewhere?

I would think that with what Iowa has you would want to leave it like it is now.
Every two to three years leaving the quality where it is now is actually pretty good.

I'm sitting in a hotel in Indianola, eating some local pizza and drinking some beer. Spent quite a bit of $$$ in Iowa the last few days. Just talked with 2 of my local landowner neighbors.

Found some sheds, I'm in for the long haul, whatever they choose to do? We enjoy it. I think there is a solution to this issue, I'm confident both sides can work this out.

Hardwood the state of Iowa thanks you. When I am in Minnesota or Wisconsin this next week I will be doing the same.

It does suck that Great guys like you, jdubs and others can not hunt here as often as you like but I am sure you can see what would happen when the flood gates open?

I moved because I did what was best for my family and I and I know all of you would do the same thing.

This NRLO sitaution will never change because most Iowa residents won't let it happen.

I said what I had to say. I didn't know there were so many close minded, selfish users on this site.

Cool down, you're out of line with your accusations and name calling. Virtually every state in the nation reserves some rights and privileges for their own RESIDENTS. Do you really think you should have the same rights as all residents in each and every state you choose?

Should your children be able to pay in state tuition to whichever state they choose to go to college, etc?

I commend you for that and yes I would do the same.

I would not expect the laws though to change for me and I would hope that the Iowa people would fight to keep it that way.

Don't consider it selfish and close minded to have a different opinion than yours.

It is pissing and moaning matches like this one that has driven me away from this site. It seems that many many of the threads on here turn into exactly like this one. If I wanted to see this kind of stuff I would flip back and forth between Fox news and MSNBC.

No matter what side of the argument you are on in this case, if you can't look at the other side and admit they have some legitimate gripes, you have completely lost the spirit of being a true outdoorsman.

nrlo

I asked earlier how much land does a resident have to own to qualify for a free tag? And you cant throw non residents and non resident land owners in the same bag and expect that to be viewed as fair. You all set there and talk about preference points and owning land is a point.

It is pissing and moaning matches like this one that has driven me away from this site. It seems that many many of the threads on here turn into exactly like this one. If I wanted to see this kind of stuff I would flip back and forth between Fox news and MSNBC.

No matter what side of the argument you are on in this case, if you can't look at the other side and admit they have some legitimate gripes, you have completely lost the spirit of being a true outdoorsman.

Jw,

Sorry you see it that way.

Not everyone is going to agree on everything all the time.

As long as it is civil and not judging ones character a civil

Discussion is great.

There are also many other posts on here that are not as neatly debated.

I asked earlier how much land does a resident have to own to qualify for a free tag? And you cant throw non residents and non resident land owners in the same bag and expect that to be viewed as fair. You all set there and talk about preference points and owning land is a point.

I don't think there is a limit.

As soon as you have an Iowa drivers license and file an Iowa tax form you are in.

Remember that is my opinion.

So do you think that a couple acres gets you a free tag? I always thought land owners got tags because they provided food and habitat.Illinois I think requires you own 40 acres.Looks like Iowa loses alot of revenue passing out tags to the guys that may have a big yard.Interesting

Top Bottom