Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cutting Timber

GOARMY

I need/want to have some timber select cut as part of my overall management plan. Called and spoke to the local forester and she said he would not help me if it involved cutting timber?

I thought they did that kind of thing?

Anyway, If I have to go it alone I will but maybe its me? I want the white oaks cut and need to find out exactly what I have and then want to put it out for bid. Has Anyone here down it before?

Help if you can.

Unfortunately what you are running into is the direct result of what we have discussed in the other forester thread, severe budget cuts to the DNR's Forestry Bureau. They have barely been able to keep all of their foresters on the job, and the only way they have accomplished that is through federal grants.

Historically district foresters have helped landowners with timber sales, but when some of them have to spend up to 50% of their time doing urban inventories, or hanging gypsy moth traps, there really is no time left over to continue several of their historical services.

My suggestion: Work with your district forester to get a stewardship plan established for your property. Be up front with them about what your goals are, and they will develop a plan suggesting activities that will help best meet your goals. Once you have your plan, find a reputable consultant forester (DF will have a list) to help you implement the plan. If it includes a timber sale, you can expect to pay somewhere around a 10-15% commission. Don't let that scare you away. It is highly important that you have a professional help you with your timber sale so that your objectives are met, not a logger/timber buyers.

Next suggestion, contact your legislator and tell them you would like to see your DF helping landowners like yourself, instead of counting city trees or hanging gypsy moth traps. The level of service will get no better without returning the funding back to pre recession levels, and it may get significantly worse if nothing is done.

Last edited:
Why do you want to cut white oaks? They'd be a last resort for me. I'd do what JW suggested and get a forester to come up with a plan.

My timber is mature and park like in some spots. I can cut it and it will grow up way thicker than any neighbors property. Couple this with food and crp and I will have the spot deer want to live on. I have done this before with good results.

Top Bottom