Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ThermaCell

They work great on mosquitoes in canada, but I doubt they will stop ticks. Tucking your pants in rubber boots helps alot. Duck tape the tops and spray your pants and shirt down with a good spray is even better.

They work very well! If you are hunting or fishing, etc.when you need one they are a must have. Cons they may spook game downwind. I have not noticed much reaction to them though.

Not for ticks

I have one and have used it a few times in the early season...works well unless there's a lot of wind, in which case you probably don't need it anyway.

I do find it interesting that a lot of bear guides don't allow them...guess at least someone thinks they can spook game at times.

NWBuck

I thought everyone uses/has a ThermaCell?? I don't go to the woods in the early season without it. It is a necessity in August for bear hunting in Canada.

I guess im the only one that thinks Thermacells are WAY over rated. Never worked for me :(
I'm glad they work for others, maybe we have a special breed of bugs here?? :confused:

If it came down to choosing the thermacell or toilet paper in the hunting pack id choose the thermacell every time when the mosquitos are out. Works awesome!!

I swear by the ones that I have and have used them in Canada and Alaska with great results. Normally the skeeters seek me out before anyone else and with a thermacell they seem to hover outside of arms reach and not get any closer. As far as the ticks go I doubt they will work well with them. I don't care for the smell of the tick repellant, so I usually tape up the pant leg over the boot and apply some double sided tape above my knee and that will keep them from getting any higher up. It is usually interesting how many you can have stuck to it when you take it off.

I love my thermo cell but also don't think it does much for ticks. One thing that does work for ticks is a permathrin spray for your clothes and gear.(It's not to be put on skin!). It is supposedly odorless (I have used it for deer hunting without issues but prefer not to because I'm paranoid about even the smallest scent), and the application lasts for a week or two. This stuff really works! I never go turkey hunting without it on my clothes.

I love mine.. I will say, however, if you take a hung-over friend hunting with you, don't let him near the thermacell.. cooked vomit may be the worst thing Ive ever smelled!

I love my Thermacell. Last September, during a lull in my elk hunt, I tried to order one through my phone while standing in a massive swarm of skeeters. As soon as I was back in town for a day, I ordered one with the Fresh Earth cover scent and it worked great (after I got past the operator error).

sorry to bring back an old thread, but was looking at cover scents/scent elimination and had a salesperson give rave reviews of using the Thermacell with earth scented pads as a dual action bug repellent and cover scent. Claimed he had never been winded by a deer when using, and kept saying he wasn't trying to steer me away from the other products (he uses a spray on windier days). Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this as a cover scent?

Top Bottom