Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Never too late

Shovelbuck

For better than a decade, I've watched the fine folks here post photos and stories of taking their son or daughter on turkey hunts. To be quite honest, I was a bit jealous as my son had never had an interest in chasing turks around. He's been a deer hunter since it was legal for him to do so, I just couldn't get him interested in the three toed critters. Today, I joined the ranks of the others here with being able to post a photo of my sons first turkey.:) He will be 30 in a couple of months but it's never too late. I think he's hooked!
Of course it helps when his first bird is a dandy snow white tipped Merriam with 11 inch beard and 1 3/16 hooks!
The bird came in so close to the blind and decoys that we had to just sit and watch him whoop up on the jake decoy until he got further away and gave him a shot at about 6 feet. As an added bonus, he used an original 1860's vintage muzzle loader.

Last edited:
As always great pic shovel. Congrats to your son on his first bird and to you for getting him hooked on the springtime tradition.

Kratz

Congrats to you and your son on his first of many. The Merriam's are definitely the most beautiful of the subspecies.

Thanks everyone.:way: I just talked with my son and he cooked the bird up today and he and his family really liked it. He says he's getting another tag! Looks like I've created a monster.;)

Congrats to you and your son on his first of many. The Merriam's are definitely the most beautiful of the subspecies.

Congrats to you and your son, Jay! I'll respectfully disagree with the above and say that the Gould's is the most beautiful subspecies and if I didn't know better about you and where you hunt, I'd say that's a Gould's! WOW! BEAUTIFUL BIRD!!

Top Bottom