Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Loess Hills

I was thinking of heading out to Loess Hills to try turkey hunting public ground during 4th season. I have heard on occasion that turkeys are abundant out there.

I was thinking of driving out on Friday after work and hunt/scout that evening and then hitting it again Sat and Sunday if needed. I have been looking at the maps already. I am looking for any advice or tips from people have hunting out there before.

Thanks in advance

We have alot of birds but the public gets hit pretty hard, so the birds get call/decoy shy, by 4th season. Which unit?

What part of the Loess Hills are you thinking? The hills start where I live north of Sioux City in Plymouth County and run south through the state with several areas of public hunting. My ground is just yards from Five Ridge Prairie, which is a vast area with lots of timber and native prairie. We have lots of turkey and not much hunting pressure there. It is very rough and if your in good shape I can almost guarantee you will have good luck. Plus the scenery is unbelievable. Let me know if you want further info.
Paul

I was originally thinking of trying around Pisgah because its a little closer to home. I am open to opinions and realize that most public by fourth season will be pressured and have its own challenges.

Isn't there a DNR visitor center right there in pisgah? Maybe if you gave them a call they might have some info to send your way. Just a thought.

Top Bottom