Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lymes disease question

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
I pulled some cameras and did some work on the farm on Monday. I have never ran into so many ticks in my life. Easily by the hundreds, and unfortunately some of them were deer ticks.

Long story short, I spent almost 30 minutes naked in the headlights before I headed home to make sure I got them all off.

When i got home and hopped in the shower I found a nice little deer tick stuck in my armpit. In a panic i just scratched it off.

Anyhow, even if it attached itself the first minute I stepped out of my truck, it was only on me for 4 hours, but I have a nice little red spot where it was. Should I be concearned?

Its not a bullseye or anything, just a red spot. Ticks freak me out, and are enought to ruin my day.

Not sure, but I was always told if you find it less than 12-24 hours you should be fine. I've also heard you should save the tick to be tested. Again, just what I remember hearing.

I've been dealing with Lyme disease for over 8 years now. It is a nasty disease that is relatively unknown in the medical world. Do yourself a favor and err on the side of caution and ask your doctor for a round of antibiotics to be safe. Certainly wouldn't hurt you.

I think you're fine. If it acts up at all (more than a small red dot where the head went in), be adamant with your doctor to have tests ran. I had the same thing happen a few years back on my thigh, after three days the spot got larger so I went to the doc. He said it was just a little infection and sent me home with antibiotics.

Long story short - three weeks went by and it wasn't getting better and developed the tell-tale bullseye so I went back. He finally ran a test and indeed it was Lyme Disease. Luckily it was still early so no long-term damage...but it is something that I'll live with forever and that can rage at any time.

At the docs right now getting tested. Was at the farm 2 weeks ago and was bit a dozen times, some u didn't find for a couple days, now running fever headaches chills.ticks I read can carry up to 10 different illnesses.
I'm taking the safe route and I feel like crud anyway.

I had one buried in my side last week, red dot and bullseye was starting. I got the treatment immediately, don't wait...scary stuff if it is left untreated.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

Look this link over. Lots of different diseases that are all somewhat related in symptoms. Lyme is just one of several serious diseases that the ticks will give you but not all ticks have been proposed carriers. Learn the ticks in your area or areas you visit, practice tick prevention on your children and pets along with yourself. When in doubt, see a physician and get the tests run if indicated.

I react to deer tick bites almost immediately, almost feels like a chemical burn. Brown (dog) ticks don't have the same effect. Anyway, I knew I picked up a deer tick earlier this year, so I called my Doc and went on antibiotics.

I guess docycycline, the preferred antibiotic for treating Lyme, is in short supply, so they subbed in amoxicillin. I'd rather get ahead of the infection than to fight it after symptoms occur.

Two salts of doxycycline are available. Doxycycline Monohydrate and Doxycycline Hycalate. You should be able to find one or the other available at most pharmacies. I'd go with one of these.

Two salts of doxycycline are available. Doxycycline Monohydrate and Doxycycline Hycalate. You should be able to find one or the other available at most pharmacies. I'd go with one of these.

I wasn't real happy about the amoxicillin substitution, but didn't realize it until I got home from the pharmacy. Cheapskate Pharmacists. :thrwrck:

:D

While doxycycline is the drug of choice, there is a significant shortage of it right now in both the human and animal pharmacies. Costs have risen nearly 1,000%; from pennies per tablet to 4-5$ as the pharmacy's cost. Obviously the decision is still easy if a person indeed has a diagnosed illness, but 4-5$ per tablet dramatically increases the cost and makes it a bit more questionable as prophylactic treatment---and many insurance companies have not adjusted their coverage of this drug with the recent price change. Just an FYI.

Just was in the same boat, found two embedded for approx 24 hrs....freaked out and pulled them off. Went and got doxycycline 10 day treatment for 10 days...cost was $39, WAY better to error on the side of caution...get the antibiotic, IMO

You guys need to load your clothes on with a pre-treatment of Permathryn. I go really heavy on that, let clothes dry (like you're supposed to) and for every 100 ticks the other guys get - I maybe could have 1 that sneaks by or is on the clothes. Regular bug spray does jack-squat compared to Permathryn. Buy concentrate and mix your own spray.

You guys need to load your clothes on with a pre-treatment of Permathryn. I go really heavy on that, let clothes dry (like you're supposed to) and for every 100 ticks the other guys get - I maybe could have 1 that sneaks by or is on the clothes. Regular bug spray does jack-squat compared to Permathryn. Buy concentrate and mix your own spray.

I will echo the permetherin recommendation, it makes a huge difference. Use a permetherin based product on your clothes and a DEET based product on your skin and you will very rarely end up with ticks on your skin.

X2 on the Permethrin. I sell a ton of it and it works very well. I sell aerosol cans and spray jugs. I've got a friend that fences. About a month ago 2 of his guys had Permethrin on and 2 didn't. Not a tick on either of them but the other two guys pulled like a hundred off.

Top Bottom