Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lymes disease question

I bought mine at Dicks Sporting goods in the camping section. Only place I could find it in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, but that was a year ago. It is the way to go. It definitely lowers the number of ticks that get on your clothing.

A few years ago I was very sick for a few days when my wife noticed the bullseye rash on my hip. Getting the doctor to treat me for it was nothing short o pulling teeth. After researching it I found that nothing else causes a bullseye rash and finally convinced the doctor to treat me. For whatever reason the Doxycycline made me even more sick and had to switch to 6 (maybe it was 8) weeks of Amoxcilline. That was back in 2007 and I've had no issues since.

You might have to be persistant with the doctor, if your doctor is as hard to convince as mine. From what I read, the danger is when the bullseye rash goes un noticed and therefore you go untreated.

Good luck!:way:

Wondering if anyone here has any experience or feedback on the various bug repellent clothing that has permithrin permanently bound to the fabric?

I've seen this kind of clothing offered by Cabelas (BugSkinz), LL Bean, GameHide, Columbia, Ex Officio and others sometimes labeled as Insect Shield or Bug Shield.

I recently picked up a set of base layers, a hat and socks and so far it seems to have helped....we have mostly what locals call "wood ticks" up here i.e. American dog ticks. I'll be heading to NE Iowa later this year to scout for late muzzleloader and will definitely be wearing the bug proof stuff!

If any of you are having trouble getting your doctor to treat you check out Dr. Charles Crist in Columbia ,MO. His website will answer some questions even a new tick disease instead of lyme. I didn't have a bullseye rash.

Doctor's arrogance

I developed flu like symptoms 2 weeks to the day of being down at the farm and finding no less than 12 ticks embedded in me. I went to the docs last Wednesday and they drew blood and sent it off to the lab. Now mind you, I explained to the doc I had 12 ticks or more on me that I had to pull off, some I didn't find for 3 days - boogers are hard to find in some spots.
So they sent to blood off and had them run the tests. This is an Omaha doctor. Results came back negative for lyme disease. 12 days from the first symptoms, and I still feel like crud. Today I called Bethany Mo Medical center, the biggest town near the farm and asked them about tick born illnesses. They said there has been an abnormally high incidence of tick diseases besides lyme disease. I explained the situation, and they asked if my doctor ran an in-depth tick panel of tests....good question, one I couldn't answer. I called my doctors office and asked them the same thing. They said they checked for lyme disease. The staff acted as if they didn't know what a in-depth tick panel of tests were. They were going to check and call me back. That was 5 hours ago, so I am guessing it's a no.
I guess the tests mentioned will diagnose some of the other tick diseases, besides lyme. Takes 5-7 days for results she said.
So, next time, I'll ask my new doctor to run the series of tests. I'd rather be safe than sorry too. And if I'm not better soon, I guess I'll go and have the full suite of tests run.

I developed flu like symptoms 2 weeks to the day of being down at the farm and finding no less than 12 ticks embedded in me. I went to the docs last Wednesday and they drew blood and sent it off to the lab. Now mind you, I explained to the doc I had 12 ticks or more on me that I had to pull off, some I didn't find for 3 days - boogers are hard to find in some spots.
So they sent to blood off and had them run the tests. This is an Omaha doctor. Results came back negative for lyme disease. 12 days from the first symptoms, and I still feel like crud. Today I called Bethany Mo Medical center, the biggest town near the farm and asked them about tick born illnesses. They said there has been an abnormally high incidence of tick diseases besides lyme disease. I explained the situation, and they asked if my doctor ran an in-depth tick panel of tests....good question, one I couldn't answer. I called my doctors office and asked them the same thing. They said they checked for lyme disease. The staff acted as if they didn't know what a in-depth tick panel of tests were. They were going to check and call me back. That was 5 hours ago, so I am guessing it's a no.
I guess the tests mentioned will diagnose some of the other tick diseases, besides lyme. Takes 5-7 days for results she said.
So, next time, I'll ask my new doctor to run the series of tests. I'd rather be safe than sorry too. And if I'm not better soon, I guess I'll go and have the full suite of tests run.

A tick panel will consist of Lymes, Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis, RMSF, Babesia, etc etc. All of the tick borne diseases can present with the same types of symptoms and a lot of the above mentioned are becoming just as common as the Lymes Dz. (btw...make sure if you are on Doxycycline that you stay out of the sun for any length of time...)

I can't understand why so many doctors seem to be so slow on the draw related to tick borne illnesses. It's not like Lyme disease was discovered last year for crying out loud. Somehow, it seems like it takes the "medical establishment" 20+ years to get with it on some subjects and tick borne illnesses sure seems to be one of them.

I have heard countless stories over the past 5+ years that are almost identical regarding the labs/Dr's not screening for Lyme disease, et al. Don't they go to continuing ed of some sort, can't someone put together a 1 hour CEU course on ticks???

Top Bottom