Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BBD!!! 1st of year and a giant!!!

Still an odd problem, also grew up on a cattle farm and can only remember one time when the cattle got out, gate left open-front yard was well fertilized. Sorry, just seems strange the farmer doesn't keep up his fences better.

Still an odd problem, also grew up on a cattle farm and can only remember one time when the cattle got out, gate left open-front yard was well fertilized. Sorry, just seems strange the farmer doesn't keep up his fences better.
Iowa law needs to be looked at since not many farmers raise livestock these days. The old "right hand rule" subsidizes those who do have stock. I've had a fair amount of "other people's critters" on my place.

I don't think we should be picking on farmers in general we spend a lot of time keeping our fences up. We don't have as many problems as some but stuff happens. If a cow really wants to leave there's not much you can do. But all of the cows we own we take pride in there calms ness so when something bad happens we can get her back. A few years ago we had an animal go nuts at the smell and sight of blood. We chased her threw town and she got out to a field and as she was about to step in the corn we shot her. I bet if that cow is as bad as she seems shooting was a good call.

Sorry Sniper, I hate to call you out... but I've seen a couple ridiculous posts out of you so I went ahead and read your post history...

Wow! You just never have anything positive to say about anything. I might suggest you start taking the half full approach to life and I'm sure we will get some positive posts out of you :)

I think he needs some happy pills.

Skip,

I believe there may still be a bounty available if you take the back hooves into the courthouse. I for one don't care for the taste of wild bovine. The meat tends to be a little dry, and you have to marinate the heck out of it.

I am a little surprised that you went with the 30-30. I understand the mentality in tight quarters, but I would have never stepped foot on that farm without a little more wallop over my shoulder. The first 2 that I cracked were with a 300 WSM and they took another in the noggin to slow down. Just be careful next time.

*Also, this is personal opinion only, but hold up the head next time for the harvest pic and make sure the tongue is in. We do owe these animals a bit of respect.

Congrats!

Sorry Sniper, I hate to call you out... but I've seen a couple ridiculous posts out of you so I went ahead and read your post history...

Wow! You just never have anything positive to say about anything. I might suggest you start taking the half full approach to life and I'm sure we will get some positive posts out of you :)

Bahahaha He NEVER has anything nice to say! He is just always stirring the pot.... :thrwrck:

Iowa law needs to be looked at since not many farmers raise livestock these days. The old "right hand rule" subsidizes those who do have stock. I've had a fair amount of "other people's critters" on my place.

Right hand rule applies in MO too. Those will cattle get a very fair shake out of that deal....those that dont.....not so much like me. :D

What in the world can you do when cattle cause that much damge on your property??
We have a neighbor that is constantly battling his own herd, if they ever did that much monetary damage on our farm we would have a serious storm on our hands... is property damage caused by others livestock something that is hashed out with insurance companies?

The bulk of my insurance business is farm insurance. Each farmer has livestock liability on his farm policy (well they should have it anyway). Cattle/Horses/Sheep if they get into and damage crops the insurance company will pay out in most cases if the landowner/insured is negligent.

About 98% of the comments on here are totally awesome. Well Done Skip!! The 2% well, we know where they came from. Thanks for making my day guys. Too cool.

Skip, you are, and always will be my hero. When this is all over, can we get an apartment together? Be a good idea since you're freezer will be jammed full of bovine and all. I say hang that head over your wife's side of the bed.... have it in a looking straight down pose--I believe it's the "ICU" form from Meder... You'd have to check for sure on that.

The "right hand rule" only applies in Iowa if it is reduced to writing and recorded at the County Recorder's office. Then it binds all subsequent owners. You can also enter into any written agreement on maintenance that you want. Otherwise landowners sharing a common boundary are jointly responsible for the cost of maintaining a fence, which doesn't mean that they equally share in the cost. There are several factors to be looked at in determining which owner benefits, landscape and so on. The law as written is vague, but thats how the appellate cases read in Iowa.

Last edited:
This is funny. Leave it to skip, the cattle assassinator, to stir everyone up.

I'll be over for steaks this weekend. Did this fill up the walk in?

This is funny. Leave it to skip, the cattle assassinator, to stir everyone up.

I'll be over for steaks this weekend. Did this fill up the walk in?

Sadly, the farmer & family will be the only one partaking. Felt like since it was still kinda "their beast" & they put the HIT request on it- I'd give it back to em. Well worth it though, thrill of the hunt on a crafty old warrior is priceless- free range hunt and all. I'll get to remember that hunt forever with the mount above the fireplace (or wife is taking above suggestions on bedroom- genius idea from THA4 I'm discussing with wife tonight) or -we've tossed around the idea of a full, life-size mount.

All joking aside - the hide would make a cool rug and a constant reminder of the "old warrior".

Top Bottom