Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

200 inch Deer Poached

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

frontpagebuck_primary.jpg

This photo is not a photo of the deer that was poached in this article.

Moravia Man Pleads Guilty to Poaching Deer Scoring More Than 200 Inches
<O:p</O:p
CENTERVILLE, Iowa - Jerry Kaster, 40, of Moravia, pleaded guilty and was assessed the maximum amount of $20,000 in liquidated damages for unlawfully killing of a trophy whitetail deer in Appanoose County. The case began with a call to the Turn in Poachers hotline on December 2, 2010.

According to the investigation, Kaster had shot a buck deer that scored more than 200 inches, with a .270 rifle while driving in his minivan on a rural road in the Lake Rathbun area.

Conservation officers located Kaster, the deer, and Kaster’s rifle at a residence a few miles from where the deer was killed. A .270 bullet recovered from the deer was later matched by the DCI to Kaster’s Ruger .270 rifle.

Kaster was fined $195 for one count of unlawful killing of an antlered whitetail deer and $195 for one count of unlawful transportation of whitetail deer. The DNR seized the Ruger .270 rifle Kaster used in the violations. He will also lose his hunting privileges.

While under investigation for this case, Kaster was fined in 2012 for falsely obtaining landowner tags to hunt deer.

In the course of the investigation, conservation officers determined that a matching set of shed antlers off this deer had been sold by another person to a collector for $8,000.
The timely reporting to the Turn In Poachers hotline made apprehending this trophy deer poacher possible.<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
Why does it matter that sheds were sold here? as if it not legal or something... Or is this just another DNR crying jab?

These fines are not nearly big enough! If he could get 8000 out of a pair of sheds, the fine should be just as high. He probably don't care that he lost his license. It doesn't take a license to poach.

These fines are not nearly big enough! If he could get 8000 out of a pair of sheds, the fine should be just as high. He probably don't care that he lost his license. It doesn't take a license to poach.

I hope the DNR did not plan set an example out of this guy by fining him less than $400.... Geeze the guy who has got 4 speeding tickets in the last few months had paid more than that! :way: I agree with Spencer - taking his license is useless.

I hope the DNR did not plan set an example out of this guy by fining him less than $400.... Geeze the guy who has got 4 speeding tickets in the last few months had paid more than that! :way: I agree with Spencer - taking his license is useless.

At the beginning of the article it's stated that his damages were assessed at the maximum of $20,000. It's my understanding that he has to reimburse the state that amount of money and the other amounts listed in the article are the court costs.

Last edited:
Well that gives me some closure to a deer that disappeared from my property in 2010. Here are pictures of the poached deer and the deer from my property in 2010 - sure look the same to me.... Bastards....

null_zps0fa55a8e.jpg

null_zps650b1b7b.jpg

Last edited:
I think the DNR exaggerated a little when they said 200". A shame none the less. Sucks to see a giant go down this way.

That deer is 200 and that isn't the only deer Jerry has, or had, over 200. I believe they took several heads out of his house when they "raided him". Just couldn't prove anything on the rest.

That deer is 200 and that isn't the only deer Jerry has, or had, over 200. I believe they took several heads out of his house when they "raided him". Just couldn't prove anything on the rest.

Did Mr. Kaster perform his own taxidermy work? If he doesn't I'd want to talk to the guy who did his heads or anyone that he says helped him load the deer etc. I know my taxidermist always wants to hear the full story about the kill and then fixes the tag to the back of the mount. If one guy is bringing giants in every year that has to raise some questions....

I'm glad the DNR busted this guy as well as some others in that area recently. Appanoose Co. and the surrounding area has a lot of problems with poaching. I only wish there were steeper fines in place. This guy clearly knew what he was doing and with the value of a deer like that it may not be enough to keep him from trying again someday.

Top Bottom