Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sainfoin ??

Buck-Man

Anyone plant this stuff? I tried in spring in multiple plots and zippo.
Was a early spring plant and never germinated.
Plots are killed with gly and waiting . Im gonna till, culti, broadcast sainfoin that's been inoculated and culti again. This sound right? Any tips or comments?

Never tried it..but seeing your problems I looked it up and found this...

Sainfoin should not be planted next to shelterbelts because trees and shrubs will suffer from browsing by deer and elk

Sainfoin can be planted in the spring or fall. Seeding depth should be between 0.25 and 0.75 inches. All seed should be inoculated with the appropriate rhizobium prior to planting.

No idea if any of that helps, but seems from what I have read...its pretty picky stuff and not supposed to be grazed on for 2 years apparently

used the required inoculant that comes with the seeds.
planted the correct depth. zero germination.
so the 7th of sept I replanted maybe 2 acres ,inoculated again with a slurry ,mixed the 100 lbs really well .
A earlier killed plot I tilled up, drag harrow smooth then broadcast then cultipacked .
the other killed plot I tilled up, drag harrow smooth ,culti packed ,broadcast and cultipacked again.
a light rain later that day, and a light rain today. but I don't think it will do much being 90's and the ground is like cement its so dry.
ph is upper 6 low 7s

Last edited:
Top Bottom