Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best recipe

I slice/chunk deer loin up then flour it and the fry it. I eat it until I am full, then throw the remainder in a crackpot with stewed tomatos and sauteed onions. Let that cook for a few hours and then serve over mashed potatoes.

I do a lot of venison pastrami and slice it up and vacuum seal it. Can make Rubens that are AWESOME or just a sandwich.

Also i will can quite a bit again this year if I get one. My 3 year old was begging me to eat both. I already got a confused look from her also when I didn't bring home a doe on my first bow hunt. She really wants more deer and that's awesome.

Another classic is,

Make the rub by 1/3 1/3 1/3

1/3 coffee grounds (fresh)
1/3 kosher salt
1/3 of your favorite seasoning (I use Montreal steak seasoning, so I cut the salt back a bit as the seasoning has salt in it)

Take loin, roast or ham round, trim all silver skin and fat, rub down lightly with olive oil. Coat blended rub on preferred cut of meat. Once coat let rest for 20 minutes and get a skillet hot with a couple splashes of cooking oil. Get oil hot, sear meat till it is crusted well all the way around. Have the oven preheat to 350, and put meat in glass baking dish. Cook for 35 minutes at 350, finish the lat 5 minutes at 400. It is delicious.

Nanny, I have to say, I'm suspect of this one... coffee grounds?? Doesn't sound good to me, but I'll take your word for it. ;)

Nanny, I have to say, I'm suspect of this one... coffee grounds?? Doesn't sound good to me, but I'll take your word for it. ;)

Shredder on here has had it. Actually many people have had it, it is a great recipe. Will be some of the best you've ever had and can not taste the coffee at all.

I do a lot of venison pastrami and slice it up and vacuum seal it. Can make Rubens that are AWESOME or just a sandwich.

Also i will can quite a bit again this year if I get one. My 3 year old was begging me to eat both. I already got a confused look from her also when I didn't bring home a doe on my first bow hunt. She really wants more deer and that's awesome.

How do you make pastrami? That sounds awesome, and I can eat ruebens until I explode! If its a secret I understand...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/02/venison-pastrami.html

I omit the juniper berries because they're kind of a pain to get around here and I also skip the bay leaves because I can't find the powder and don't want to grind any. This looks like a lot of work but it's worth it.

I take a roast and chunk it up small enough so the cure can penetrate it. I also flip it for about 4-5 days then give a quick wash. If you don't wash it well enough it will be salty as heck so don't skip that part.

It's so good that I usually do at least one if not two deer worth of it each year. If you don't have a smoker you can just make a foil smoke pack to add that flavor then finish cooking it. In my smoker it cooks pretty darn fast being its so lean. Good luck.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/02/venison-pastrami.html

I omit the juniper berries because they're kind of a pain to get around here and I also skip the bay leaves because I can't find the powder and don't want to grind any. This looks like a lot of work but it's worth it.

I take a roast and chunk it up small enough so the cure can penetrate it. I also flip it for about 4-5 days then give a quick wash. If you don't wash it well enough it will be salty as heck so don't skip that part.

It's so good that I usually do at least one if not two deer worth of it each year. If you don't have a smoker you can just make a foil smoke pack to add that flavor then finish cooking it. In my smoker it cooks pretty darn fast being its so lean. Good luck.

You can also do this in the oven, but without the smoke it would just be corned deer. Still pretty tasty I would guess! My wife hates corned beef...wonder if she'd like corned deer or deer pastrami.

We used to have the most trouble figuring out what to do with the front shoulders. Now we do this everytime: keep the entire shoulder whole and place it in a large tin baking pan. Meanwhile chop carrots, leeks, onions and panfry until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic to panfried veggies for a few minutes. Transfer veggies to tin pan with the shoulder. Add some whole small potatoes. Add a bottle of red wine, cans of chicken stock, beef stock and vegetable stock. Cook at 275-300 for around 5 hours in the oven. All of the tendons and other tough parts in the front shoulder just melt away. I'm going from memory and I could be forgetting something we do but you get the idea, doesn't have to be specific.

We used to have the most trouble figuring out what to do with the front shoulders. Now we do this everytime: keep the entire shoulder whole and place it in a large tin baking pan. Meanwhile chop carrots, leeks, onions and panfry until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic to panfried veggies for a few minutes. Transfer veggies to tin pan with the shoulder. Add some whole small potatoes. Add a bottle of red wine, cans of chicken stock, beef stock and vegetable stock. Cook at 275-300 for around 5 hours in the oven. All of the tendons and other tough parts in the front shoulder just melt away. I'm going from memory and I could be forgetting something we do but you get the idea, doesn't have to be specific.

I assume this is covered while in the oven. sounds good!

Put roast in slow cooker with Envelope of Italian seasonings and envelope of Au-jus brown gravy mix a cup of water cook until you can shred with a fork. Basically Italian beef recipe but works outstanding with venison as well

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Just had this recipe for dinner but instead of a sandwich I made garlic mash potatoes and but the deer and gravy over potatoes. AMAZING. Hands down favorite deer meal to date.

Top Bottom