Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

good hunting knive?

madplotter

PMA Member
I have been a Buck traditionalist for years. Anyone have any thoughts on a good modern hunting knife? Any comments on the SOG's?

I have no less than 3 Buck knives in my pack and one Gerber love them all. My new favorite is the Havlon Piranta. Check that bad boy out. You may never need another knife again and at a fraction of the cost of a SOG or some others. I have several friends who use them on elk with no problems whatsoever!

Gerber

I've been rocking the Gerber 8 inch with skinner on the back side. Love it! Keeps a good blade and is very durable. I think I bought it at Bass Pro.

I bought a Outdoor Edge Swing blade last year and love it! I have owned multiple knives with gut hooks and none of them can keep up with the swing blade. I use to keep 3 knives in my pack and now that is the only one i have...

I own a number of different manufactured knives and really like the Knives of America knives. The KOA knives hold an edge well, are well built and have an outstanding warranty. I broke a tip off one (my fault) and they replaced the knife with a new one without questioning what happened.

crkt hole in one knife very light weight. for keeping in the pack. or a big ol k bar on the hip. k bar is a good hip buster if you dont have a saw

I have been a Buck traditionalist for years.

This is my favorite hunting knife: Buck Kalinga

picture.php

I have several knives. My biggest thing is putting a good edge on them. Don't want to sound like an infomucial here but the Work Sharpe knife sharpener is super easy fast and puts a fabulous edge on all my knives.

I like my old high carbon Old Timer. Can find them around if you look for them. Otherwise I'm partial to custom knives made by iowawhitetail members ;)

Mobile Cooter using IW

Currently using the outdoor edge swing blade. As mentioned above, the gut hook is very nice. Be careful using the havalon knives as several people cut themselves.

Cutco Drop point. Lifetime warranty and they sharpen for free when you send it in. First one I had, I didn't send it in for 5 years to get a "new" edge put on. If the tip breaks send it in and you get a new one sent to you.

I can sharpen a knife like nobody's business, so factory resharpening plans aren't attractive.

I got a fairly large knife collection.

For many years, I carried a Case XX Small Game Hunting Knife. Long narrow blade to cut the anus free on deer. No need to bust the pelvis or open the ribs IMO, seen more people get hurt doing this than it's worth.

Then, I used a Case Muskrat Skinner for years until I almost lost it. My daughter had given it to me as a Christmas present prior to her death. It doesn't leave the house now. It stays in the safe with my Grandpa's Marble sheath knives.

Recently, I had a Buck sheath knife that I was really fond of until I lost it. Now I'm carrying a Schrade folder.

I own a few koa's the yukon belt knife is my favorite made by them.
I do most of my deer work with a 74' vintage old timer folder that my dad carried growing up.
I've got a lot of very nice knives that never leave the house including some I've made myself.
The maker isn't near as important as the steel s30-v and D2 are great steels but there is something about 1095 high carbon that keeps drawing me back

I bought a Outdoor Edge Swing blade last year and love it! I have owned multiple knives with gut hooks and none of them can keep up with the swing blade. I use to keep 3 knives in my pack and now that is the only one i have...

I'll second this post. Love my swingblade.

I purchased a hand made knife about 20 years ago and it is with me all the time in the field. Best money I have ever spent on a knife. Paid 120 then, if I knew how to post picks I could show you its battle scars. Cant say how many roosters ducks geese turkeys and deer it has cleaned and is still going strong. Look into one some time.

Top Bottom