Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Talk about a kick in the butt

Very sorry you have to go through this. Be strong. I can't imagine the thoughts, the fear, the wondering. But you can get through this, time to focus. You're a hunter, focusing is in your blood.

Listen to me about this as I have experienced the same devestating news. The first few days of fright are the worst you will proably experence. After 2 biopsies, 6 months apart in 2010, I was told that I have prostate cancer. Even though we were kind of expecting this pronouncment it is still a shock and very scary. Since then I have had surgery to remove it and then 35 radation treatments and am now taking hormone treatments every 4 months and am currently in remission, thankfully. Get yourself as much information as you can before making any real important decission with your doctor. The Amercian Cancer Society web site is a great place to start. It will give you a different out look rather than the fears you are now experiencing. Talk to the doctors from an informed position and you are more likley to get much more honest and realistic answers. Before you decide on a course of action, I would also highly recommend getting another opinion from Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn. I went there after the local surgeon failed to get all the cancer because it had moved outside of the margins of the prostate glan. They are great there and set me up with a radiation treatment program and helped make it possiible for me to stay there for the time of those treatments. There is some discussion as to whether they are #1 or #2 in the nation for cancer treatment, but either way they are great. This cancer tends to migrate around the body and after finding a couple of spots through a bone scan, Dr Choo decided to begin hormone shots. After the second shot 4 months apart those spots faded and were undectible, so I am offically in remmision as of now.

Please know that your diagnosis is not an actual death sentence! There are wonderful doctors and medical teams that are advancing their knowledge and treatment options everyday. There are many suvivors out there and you will be among them soon. Just after my surgery some women who were cancer surviors gave us a white board thing that they have painted different imspirational quotes on and I look at it everday in our kitchen. Two of these quotes are especially important to me, "Feed your faith and you fears will starve to death" and from Abraham Lincoln " It is not the number of years in your life that count, it is the life in your years". Another dear person gave another quote from Lincoln, " I have been driven many times down upon my knees by the utter conviction that I had no where else to go". Prayer can really do wonderful things so wrap yourself in it and what ever the course ahead you will be much easier to live through. :way:

If there is anything else I can tell you about or recommend to you just send me a PM and I will try to help. Best of luck and life to you!

I feel for you, sir. I hope things go as good as they can go and I hope you have plenty more autumns to hunt. For lack of any better saying, kick cancer's ass!!!!

Best wishes on beating this, Biggest Buck!

I encourage people to get an annual physical, as the Doc caught a precancerous condition when I was 45.

Listen to me about this as I have experienced the same devestating news. The first few days of fright are the worst you will proably experence. After 2 biopsies, 6 months apart in 2010, I was told that I have prostate cancer. Even though we were kind of expecting this pronouncment it is still a shock and very scary. Since then I have had surgery to remove it and then 35 radation treatments and am now taking hormone treatments every 4 months and am currently in remission, thankfully. Get yourself as much information as you can before making any real important decission with your doctor. The Amercian Cancer Society web site is a great place to start. It will give you a different out look rather than the fears you are now experiencing. Talk to the doctors from an informed position and you are more likley to get much more honest and realistic answers. Before you decide on a course of action, I would also highly recommend getting another opinion from Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn. I went there after the local surgeon failed to get all the cancer because it had moved outside of the margins of the prostate glan. They are great there and set me up with a radiation treatment program and helped make it possiible for me to stay there for the time of those treatments. There is some discussion as to whether they are #1 or #2 in the nation for cancer treatment, but either way they are great. This cancer tends to migrate around the body and after finding a couple of spots through a bone scan, Dr Choo decided to begin hormone shots. After the second shot 4 months apart those spots faded and were undectible, so I am offically in remmision as of now.

Please know that your diagnosis is not an actual death sentence! There are wonderful doctors and medical teams that are advancing their knowledge and treatment options everyday. There are many suvivors out there and you will be among them soon. Just after my surgery some women who were cancer surviors gave us a white board thing that they have painted different imspirational quotes on and I look at it everday in our kitchen. Two of these quotes are especially important to me, "Feed your faith and you fears will starve to death" and from Abraham Lincoln " It is not the number of years in your life that count, it is the life in your years". Another dear person gave another quote from Lincoln, " I have been driven many times down upon my knees by the utter conviction that I had no where else to go". Prayer can really do wonderful things so wrap yourself in it and what ever the course ahead you will be much easier to live through. :way:

If there is anything else I can tell you about or recommend to you just send me a PM and I will try to help. Best of luck and life to you!

That my friend is a ton of information and help. I thank you and will more than likely be contacting you after my meeting with the surgeon later this afternoon.
You are right about the fear, I'm scared to death right now because I have NO clue what I'm in for yet. These last 4 days have not been pleasant, but with my wife's support have been much better than it would have been without her. I just want to get tomorrow over with so I know where I stand.

And thank you to all who have included me and my family in your prayers.

PS: on a good note, I did take advantage of the weather and needed to clear my head a little today. So I went to my happy place (a tree) and killed me a tiny doe!

PS: on a good note, I did take advantage of the weather and needed to clear my head a little today. So I went to my happy place (a tree) and killed me a tiny doe!

Backstrap = good medicine. At least for the soul... Best of luck to you as you fight the battle! This thing can be beaten!!!

Hang in there man. They can work wonders with it nowdays.Thoughts and prayers are sent.Now go shoot a big 'ol buck and congrats on the doe

Hang in there man. They can work wonders with it nowdays.Thoughts and prayers are sent.Now go shoot a big 'ol buck and congrats on the doe

You know what's weird. In 28 years of bowhunting I've never taken a buck in October. I was always waiting for a giant and passed up numerous bucks that I'd shoot in the later days of November and in December. My first day out this year, Oct 7, my hunt lasted a little over an hour. From 7 am until 810, I had 6 bucks fighting and they weren't just tickling their antlers together either. Anyway after watching those 6 duel it out and having 2 more yearling bucks come in to watch, 3 does came flying in and all hell broke loose. The bucks scattered and began chasing this one doe, the biggest of the bucks pushed all others away and eventually pushed her my way with him following closely. At 810 I let my arrow and he dropped just 40-50 yds away. Now looking back I wonder what made me shoot a 130's buck that early in the year when I had almost 1 month of vacation beginning Oct 20.

Now I think I know!

That my friend is a ton of information and help. I thank you and will more than likely be contacting you after my meeting with the surgeon later this afternoon.
You are right about the fear, I'm scared to death right now because I have NO clue what I'm in for yet. These last 4 days have not been pleasant, but with my wife's support have been much better than it would have been without her. I just want to get tomorrow over with so I know where I stand.

And thank you to all who have included me and my family in your prayers.

Craig,

I completely forgot that there is a Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. That's halfway between here and Tucson. Your son and I can meet you there and trek off into the Tonto National Forest in between treatments and chase desert muleys, javelina, quail, etc. I'll even give you first shot on all game!

You continue to be in our prayers and you will beat this!!

Craig,

I completely forgot that there is a Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. That's halfway between here and Tucson. Your son and I can meet you there and trek off into the Tonto National Forest in between treatments and chase desert muleys, javelina, quail, etc. I'll even give you first shot on all game!

You continue to be in our prayers and you will beat this!!

Haha, that's awesome Brian!

Great news today. The cancer has not spread to my lungs. This was my biggest fear. Thank god for that. Surgery is tentatively set for November 4th. Cant wait to get this shit out of me.

That is really good news! Since I am married to an RN she has me in annually for check ups, etc. preventive is the best medicine for the rest of us.

God bless you and your family!

Great news today. The cancer has not spread to my lungs. This was my biggest fear. Thank god for that. Surgery is tentatively set for November 4th. Cant wait to get this shit out of me.

You just made my day, Craig! I go with my mom for her appointment on the 4th. How about we pray for each other on this one? And then get you down here for some desert critter chasing!!

Last edited:
Sounds like a wonderful plan Brian. I will pray for you and your mother. And one day I will he down to hunt with you!

For this kind of a situation that is great news. With it being somewhat localized and the early detection you should get a very good prognosis. Before my surgery they put me through a complete physical and a colonoscopy and a heart stress test. I am guessing that you have already completed most of those so best of luck to you on Nov 4th and a easy and quick recovery. I am sure that many of us will be thinking about you on that day. For many of the people on here please take this lesson to heart and get a regular check up because this cancer thing is not just an old person disease. And if you truly want to go hunt in Arizona with Brian then MAKE IT HAPPEN, you know you can do it!!!

Top Bottom