Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I was short on time, so..

IowaChiro

[/IMG]
20131103_113139_zps6b900c42.jpg
[/IMG]I made a tough call Sunday Morning to take a buck that is decent by anyone's standards, but would have gotten a pass if I had more time to hunt this year. I'm taking my son Pheasant and Prairie chicken hunting in South Dakota this week, and off to Florida next week. With family dinners and other obligations, I only would have two days to hunt after this past weekend. Last year I was lucky enough to place my stand in the perfect bedding area, and with a strong south wind, harvested a pretty large 8 with a 26 inch wide spread. That was the only time I sat in that stand. Some similarities with last year. Iowa got beat this weekend, my wife was out of town on a shopping trip, and it was warm and windy. So I was back in that same bedding stand on Sunday morning. I had very little deer activity around me that morning, as 6 does milled around, eventually bedding about 40 yards away. At around 9, I was thinking a nap sounded good, and was considering getting down. I looked through the woods to the west, and saw a pretty good buck coming towards the does. At first I was like, Oh yeah, shooter. Then I waffled a bit, as he chased the does around, going back and forth on whether or not to shoot him. Well, I waited a second too long, as I settled my 40 yard pin on him, he took off after a doe. I really wanted to shoot him at this point, after seeing his swollen up neck and how aggressive he was. I grunted a long grunt, stopping him at 60 yards, where he proceeded to rub a tree. I grunted again, same thing. So I turned away from him, and gave three short tending grunts, and hung the grunt tube up. When I turned back towards him, he was trotting towards me. I drew back, and stopped him at 8 yards....extinguishing his life with my z7. Moral of the story.....next November, I'm sending my wife out of town, and won't be so upset if Iowa loses.

20131103_113149_zps9d090766.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a pic of last years from the same stand
2012-11-10_13-25-46_154_zpsb8cb3884.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
X2! Good story though! You are going to be expecting a lot next year when the wife and Iowa scenario plays out again....

I'm loading them on photobucket now...and yeah..I'm probaby spoiled. I've sat in that stand twice, for a total of 6 hours, and have 300 inches of mainframe 8's to show for it. I'll call it my lucky stand.

OK..I suck at the internet..I can't get them off photobucket..I can text them to someone if anyone would put them up. Scratch that....Photobucket sucks..did it from my phone via the photobucket app...

Last edited:
Congrats! 26 wide, can't wait to see pics! Hope your pheasant hunting trip to SD is better than most of the stories I've heard so far this year. Birds are down big time but good luck!

Congrats, I've been bowhunting Ft Pierre National Grasslands the past few weeks up here in SD and have seen more chickens than pheasants - hardly any deer.

Congrats, I've been bowhunting Ft Pierre National Grasslands the past few weeks up here in SD and have seen more chickens than pheasants - hardly any deer.

That's where we are going Friday and Saturday. Thursday and Sunday we are around Watertown.

Sweet, you staying in Pierre?

Pheasant numbers are down, but seeing more now than couple weeks ago as the late grain harvest had them hidden.

Sweet, you staying in Pierre?

Pheasant numbers are down, but seeing more now than couple weeks ago as the late grain harvest had them hidden.

Staying in Sioux Falls on Wednesday night and Thursday night, Pierre on Friday night, coming back to Sioux Falls and staying Saturday night.. Going with a guy I sold a Brittany to. Looking forward to some father/son time, getting my dogs work, and seeing and shooting a prairie chicken.

Top Bottom