Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ouch!!!

I shot a deer that had an crossbow bolt stuck out of his head. Had it in there 2 months until I shot him... know people who knew the guy who shot it, and they had no idea where they even hit them... some people

I think if I went out tonight and saw that deer I would have to put a finishing shot on him. One reason to end any potential suffering, I'm wondering if he can eat with that injury and two to save the reputation of archery hunters. I would also agree that the hunter most likely wasn't nor ever intended for that to happen. All the previous mentioned situations could have very well of happened.

They're super tough animals so if he can eat he'll pull through. Would love to see any updates if you get more pictures showing him on the mend. Good luck everyone and hunt safe.

So you and Handcannon must be perfect and have never made a mistake? None of us know what happened and can only speculate. Me I try to still find the good and people and would assume tis was an arrow that got deflected, or the deer moved just before the shot. The first deer I ever killed with a bow was shot in the neck, not on purpose, but because I was anxious and just as I made the shot the doe whirled and that is where it hit her. For sure a terrible thing that happened to this deer, but chances are there is a hunter outr there that is sick about this, maybe even a young kid that was trying to harvest their first animal. But forget all that, lets just throw stones and bash someone when we have no first hand knowledge of anything.

That's cool you try and find the good in people but the fact still remains there are MANY bad hunters or poachers out there. I agree we shouldn't speculate as we don't know what happened here-however The sad fact is deer poaching takes place every night in our state and shots like this are taken all the time- I personally know (do not hunt with) people that try and kill deer with head shots ALL THE TIME. Those people Just don't post their poor choices on here.

I harvested a deer during shotgun season many years ago with that exact same injury. The impact of the slug caused both antlers to shed which I though was odd. When I look at his head I could see the fur on his cheek looked funny, like it was parted or something. When i touched it I felt something sharp. I got out my pliers and when I wiggled out slid a single blade broad head and about 5 inches of arrow. His jaw muscles were going to push it out had I not shot him. Amazingly he was very healthy overall and would have most likely made a full recovery.

You won't believe this but the buck I shot shotgun season couple of years ago... the one in my profile pic... when we were taking his hide off on his left side by his shoulder we picked out a bb gun pellet. It was stuck between hide and muscle. I don't think it affected him at all cuz his field dressed weight was 275.

Shot a big droptine buck once and it had a broken llwer jaw. It had 2 22 slugs in its jaw and a buck shot pellet in its neck. He was healty looking and acting until I hit him with a snuffer.

Top Bottom