Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11/22/13 Buck down!

alh09

I haven't seen this buck on camera but twice since the season started. But I had plenty of pictures of him prior. You may remember my post about trail cam pictures of him: http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48263

It has been a rough year for me as I had only seen one shooter while hunting, and only two on my trail cameras all season. It seems as the numbers are way down in my area. I had hoped to get a crack at this buck during the early season, but he disappeared.

I asked my boss if I could hunt the morning of 11/22 and he told me he wanted me back at 10:00. It is a 40 minute drive to my property... so I feared I would have to leave the stand way too early. I decided to go for it anyway. The morning started out very disappointing when I pulled the card from my camera by that stand and there was only one deer all week. 8:00 came around and I had not seen or heard anything. At 4 degrees, my toes were starting to get very cold. I was spacing off when I looked up and seen a puff of breath in the sunlight on the edge of a grove 80 yds away. Once I put the binoculars on him, I instantly knew who he was. He was walking to my buck decoy, when he got to 40 yds, I tried to stop him, but no luck. At this point he was a couple feet from the decoy. I feared that he would level the decoy and run off into the horizon. But luckily, he was more curious than aggressive. He circled down wind of the decoy, and gave me a 30 yd broadside shot. He ran 10 yds. Double lung and a little slice in the heart.

"boss... I can't make it in by 10:00..."

Good luck to all still waiting on "the one"... there is still hope! :way:

awcn.jpg

Last edited:
Now THATS a great story. The limited time you had, the drive and the temps all tell me you are passionate about what you do. You deserve that buck-nice job!

Top Bottom