Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Said the heck with deer hunting.......

IowaDave

PMA Member
....and went out with a few buddies and shot our limit of birds!
I've been concentrating on filling my deer tag so much this is really the first time I've been out all year.
Somehow I forgot how much enjoyment I get from watching the dogs work a field. Even though the temp was a little raw, we had a great time!

And no we weren't over our limit....the guy taking the pic was hunting too.

10651-nov_24th_birds_original.jpg

Wow, I didn't know there were that many roosters in all of Iowa - let alone in one place. Looks like a very fun day and some good shooting.

Wow, I didn't know there were that many roosters in all of Iowa - let alone in one place. Looks like a very fun day and some good shooting.

One word- habitat. There are 200 acres of switch grass behind us and probably hundreds of pheasants in there. Makes for nice deer cover too! :way:

Way to ruin it for everyone....

J/K

Only a few roosters left on Iowa and you killed most of them :)

Last edited:
That does look fun Dave, do you guide?! I only need a couple for a quick meal.

Myself I am going to try and call a few song dogs this weekend for gits and shiggles

That does look fun Dave, do you guide?! I only need a couple for a quick meal.

I haven't followed your posts real close, but if you're one of the guys who are passing 150" deer because you feel confident you can get a bigger one, I'm up for a trade of hunts! :D
When I say the habitat is good for the deer, it is but we still just don't have very many 'big ones' right around here. Mostly all open farm country and very, very little timber for them to hide in- most of them migrate south to the Little Sioux River Valley to the timber down there. A 150 incher around here gets the whole town talking!

I'm talking ditch parrots here, not deer!

Me too! Trade you a couple days' guaranteed limit (if you can hit anything) of birds for a deer hunt on one of those places I see on TV where 160+ inchers are behind ever tree! :grin:
I'm half kidding.....it's not my place, I just look after it and have exclusive hunting rights to it, so I'd better not run my mouth too freely!

One word- habitat. There are 200 acres of switch grass behind us and probably hundreds of pheasants in there. Makes for nice deer cover too! :way:

Was there any good bits of timber around there? It seems when I see good habitat like that and it's in deer country with timber, the predators are around like crazy too and very few pheasants. I wish I had place like that in open areas of N Iowa. Wow- you guys sure did great, very nice!!!

*Ok, nevermind, I just read down on the "little deer habitat" or timber part. Wow, that's ideal pheasant land. Lucky bum!

I wish I had place like that in open areas of N Iowa.

Haha! The grass is always greener on the other side. I'd sell my soul to Lucifer to have exclusive rights to a big chunk of timber in an area where there were more 'big' deer!
I'm definitely not complaining about what I've got though.....for around here, it's definitely as good as it gets for pheasants & really close to that for deer.

I can't remember the last time I had a good pheasant hunt. I quit hunting them in 2008 when my shorthair passed and the population was too low anyway in my area. You are a lucky guy :)

Top Bottom