Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Now that is happening because of the regulations which I'm not arguing should be changed. The fact remains that all your NR enemies typically are in the upper half of deer managers. Guys aren't spending that kind of money to shoot little deer.

It's amazing how quickly everyone forgets all the good that comes from NR's as opposed to thinking they are the plague!

Forgotten almost as quickly as local residents access to private ground. Your comments are laughable. I will hold my tongue.

Forgotten almost as quickly as local residents access to private ground. Your comments are laughable. I will hold my tongue.

You beat me to it. I was just thinking it does residents a lot of good to have big deer on properties they can't hunt.

You beat me to it. I was just thinking it does residents a lot of good to have big deer on properties they can't hunt.

Lol you guys act like land is so "unaffordable" in Iowa. Give me a break, paying 2-3k per acre for top hunting ground is a drop in the bucket compared to other Midwestern states.

Go complain to all your farmers buying up your ground before you cast stones at every non resident!

Not casting stones at anyone, just a comment. When farmers buy ground in my area they usually let folks hunt with permission unless they themselves are diehard hunters. Most farmground that exchanges hands is between local farmers.

Lol you guys act like land is so "unaffordable" in Iowa. Give me a break, paying 2-3k per acre for top hunting ground is a drop in the bucket compared to other Midwestern states.

I'm fortunate enough that my family owns ground, I personally have nothing against NRs but if they want to make a debate out of it and start picking sides- I will always side with fellow residents on this one. Nothing personal but to say that NR landowners should have the same hunting privileges as residents makes absolutely no sense. These characters knew what they were doing. Yeah maybe they did change the regs and they think they got the wrong end of the deal, but I'm all for it and anything that will help prevent it in the future.

This NRLO just made a nice contribution to Dbltree. We all really have a lot in common in spite of our differences on Iowa regs! God bless!

Last edited:
Hate to break it to everyone but there is a significant correlation between all of Iowa's big deer and the NR farms only being hunted once every three years. Take those same farms and let your shotgun groups hunt them year in and year out and the great hunting will disappear quicker than allowing NR's to hunt every year!

You really do have yourself convinced that you know more about it than those that have spent a lifetime here. I laughed.

Dude, for real? On one of your envious, hatred filled earlier post's you stated you own several farms, guess what...that would make you "wealthy". Would it not? Easy to see who you really are. As for the whining... for someone with so much, you have them all beat.

None of these guys "bent the crap out of the rules" they followed the rules to get their residency, and then the rules were changed. Thanks to you and "neighbors" like you. Congratulations, I'm glad I don't own beside you. As far as "nervous", not likely. Give it up DUDE...its bad karma.

Lol. Ironic isnt it? My bed is already made and quite well. Yet, I continue to fight for my fellow Iowans that are not as fortunate as me. Because they deserve to have access to our State's resources. Because they LIVE here. Not on a technicality, but becauses they actually LIVE here for reasons beyond big antlers. They dont have a cabin and a PO Box. They have a house and job and family here all year long. I will continue to fight for them, because its the right thing to do. Not because its easy, not because I am "wealthy", but because they deserve to have access to the resources and not be pushed around by big money form out of state.

The only reason the rules were changed was out of necessity to protect access to our state's resources. None of us would have ever imagined the extent that some folks would extend to pursue large antlers when the original rules were put in place. Luckily for my fellow sportsmen in Iowa, our state was not afraid to do what was right for its citizens.

Nervous or not, I know of a handful of guys that will NOT be hunting here as residents next year legally unless they move, and move for real. Lol! I can guarantee you that! Some of them are names that you have all heard of. Others have been laying low and watching from the sidelines. The fact is, their neighbors all know who they are and there is no hiding from it now. Those that continue with the charade, will pay the price for their actions. The Iowa Supreme Court has spoken the final word on that. You dont have to like it, but that's the way it is and will be.

Ok there's 100% without a shadow of a doubt a huge benefit to having so much ground as a sanctuary in your state 2 out of every 3 years.

I

Without a shadow of a doubt, there is a real problem with all that "sanctuary" ground being posted "NO HUNTING" to resident hunters that used to enjoy hunting there. Eventually, the residents that can not afford hunting ground have to take up knitting. Not really a good alternative....you think?

I have hunted deer in Texas and spoke with locals that said they can not afford to hunt deer in their own state because it is primarily "pay to play". Why on earth would Iowa want to head down that same path. It's broken. It makes absolutley no sense. It is simple logic. But, selfish wants always cloud good logic. You and many like you have already proven that point all too clearly. There is no argument against it that is not pure fallacy or greed. None, and I have heard them all.

Go complain to all your farmers buying up your ground before you cast stones at every non resident!

I went back and read this thread and had to pull out this gem. I seriously did laugh out loud at this one! Please explain to me who owned the farm ground prior to our farmers that are supposedly buying it up. Was it non-farmers?! Is there new ground that is hitting the market for the very first time? Last I heard, they quit making ground quite a while ago...LOL Perfect example of absolutely no substance to the argument here folks.

Most of the farmers I know will still let a lot of local guys hunt if asked. They want the deer killed to reduce crop damage. But, they do hate the amount of deer that come off the nonresident farms that are closed to hunting. Kind of weird when you consider that these "sanctuaries" are considered a real positive by some. See where this is going....? Probably not if you have selfish wants.

Without a shadow of a doubt, there is a real problem with all that "sanctuary" ground being posted "NO HUNTING" to resident hunters that used to enjoy hunting there. Eventually, the residents that can not afford hunting ground have to take up knitting. Not really a good alternative....you think?

I have hunted deer in Texas and spoke with locals that said they can not afford to hunt deer in their own state because it is primarily "pay to play". Why on earth would Iowa want to head down that same path. It's broken. It makes absolutley no sense. It is simple logic. But, selfish wants always cloud good logic. You and many like you have already proven that point all too clearly. There is no argument against it that is not pure fallacy or greed. None, and I have heard them all.

I went back and read this thread and had to pull out this gem. I seriously did laugh out loud at this one! Please explain to me who owned the farm ground prior to our farmers that are supposedly buying it up. Was it non-farmers?! Is there new ground that is hitting the market for the very first time? Last I heard, they quit making ground quite a while ago...LOL Perfect example of absolutely no substance to the argument here folks.

Most of the farmers I know will still let a lot of local guys hunt if asked. They want the deer killed to reduce crop damage. But, they do hate the amount of deer that come off the nonresident farms that are closed to hunting. Kind of weird when you consider that these "sanctuaries" are considered a real positive by some. See where this is going....? Probably not if you have selfish wants.

Dude, come on. Is you land "open" to hunting? Do you allow these "resident hunters" put on drives thru your many acres? Evidently not if you have over 20 does in a field. Sounds like you have one of these "sanctuaries" you speak of. "Crop damage" all covered by crop insurance on the backs of the taxpayer. You may have a little knowledge about that. What I hear is the whining of perhaps the most "selfish" & "greedy" of all. If it looks like #hit and smells like shi# .... you might be a hypocrite.

You have to look no further than your own DNR for the number of NRLO and NR hunters. When the Iowa deer herd was recovering they conducted Governor hunts and continue to supply TV hunting celebs with annual tags so they can spread the word on big Iowa white tails. It is good for the business of selling tags for $500. Some people lose and others benefit! No turning back now!

I do hope that every single resident complaining about NR land being locked up is personally letting people hunt their property because they feel bad for their "people". Throw them a bone, open it up. Until that's truly the case it's just hypocritical to get angry with others about it.

I do hope that every single resident complaining about NR land being locked up is personally letting people hunt their property because they feel bad for their "people". Throw them a bone, open it up. Until that's truly the case it's just hypocritical to get angry with others about it.

We let people hunt our ground during late muzzy. Only season we don't hunt it. We also let them coyote hunt. We also have a five acre pond that we let people fish. If we were to shut access down we could easily turn this farm into a "sanctuary" but it's just kind of hard to turn other hunters and fisherman down when I hunt and fish other properties that don't belong to me. That's hypocritical in my book.

We let people hunt our ground during late muzzy. Only season we don't hunt it. We also let them coyote hunt. We also have a five acre pond that we let people fish. If we were to shut access down we could easily turn this farm into a "sanctuary" but it's just kind of hard to turn other hunters and fisherman down when I hunt and fish other properties that don't belong to me. That's hypocritical in my book.

Any geese on that pond? :way:

It seems to me most of the people complaing on this thread are from out of state. You will get no sympathy from me. There have been a coupla NRLO's around this neighborhood that somehow drew tags every year. Needless to say they sold their land and are gone now. They were nice guys but broke the rules. They posted no hunting.

Trust me when I say it takes excell spreadsheets to keep track of who is hunting where on our farms between all the deer seasons, mutiple turkey seasons, coons, yotes, on multiple farms. You get the picture. I am very fortunate to have access to ground that has been in the family along time. I have added my own as well. I am also happy to let friends and neighbors enjoy it as well.

If you want to stop the NR rush then you need to first stop the state Iowa from handing out "Celebrity Tags" at will. This is like Sutters Mill and a guy not being able to keep his mouth shut and yelling, "I just found GOLD!"

Your "Resident" celebrity hunters have sold you down the river too. Why would expect there NOT to be a problem in Iowa when you've been pimped out and pumped up to point that people think Iowa only grows 200+ bucks.

I promise you this, again, this year, someone will have the stones to post a picture of themselves cuddled up to the Lakosky's at the IWC, (who incidentally, just purchased a fifth farm in your area that you used to hunt), all goo goo eyed and grinning, and then complain about the onslaught of NR hunters.

It's your problem and only you can fix it. It won't happen moaning about it on a IW either. You have to take it to the House and win.

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." - Josey Wales

Top Bottom