Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which State will be the 1st to move it's gun season out???

Indiana tried, vote went thru then hunters petitioned and got it changed. Would have been nice, 16 days of gun season starting nov. 15 is a joke

Kratz

politicians and insurance companies rule Indiana's date that gun season comes in,which is the middle of the rut,which is such a shame. I hate gun season with a passion in Indiana,we have tried to fight it and keep getting shot down by the political powers which are ruled by the big money which is fed to them by the insurance companies.I love you iowa for which you have and stand for !

Same planet as you buddy. I've got a couple on the wall that say Indiana isn't so bad. I think it's well rounded. There's something good for everyone... It's not a monster buck state. Every state could ise some improvements. and I don't like the extra doe season, but to each his own. Over 90% of bucks still have antlers during the doe season, though I'm still not a fan of the doe season. Iowa isn't much better than Indiana. I hunt both states every year.

Your right we have some decent hunting in spite of not being able to get out of our own way. Katz is right, the law was brought up for change by the DNR and our wonderful public shot it down. We don't want any attention from outside states because our laws suck so bad. For growing big deer.

Indiana has the chance to be a whitetail power house,allways has had the potential,just gets shotdown by the political rule

It would like to see some changes but it will never happen here in KY. We have alot of deer and the KDFWR wants as many does killed as possible. Where i live and hunt (zone 1 county) it's unlimited does. This year gun season (HP rifles) starts Nov 9th and runs till nov 24th. 16 straight days of hp rifle pressure. At least the culture is slowly changing from brown and down so more 1 1/2 yr old bucks are given a chance to grow. Last year was a great year for trophy production and this season is right on track of last. Hard to convince others that we need to fix it when they feel it ain't broke, ecspecially after the record # of big ones killed last year. I also hunt SE Ohio and when I first started going up could not believe the difference, average buck was easilty 10-15" larger than at home. I feel this is solely due to the shorter gun season after the rut, shotguns and muzzleloaders only. Hard to imagine what we could be if given the opportunity.

SORRY! I was going to respond to the requests on claims I MADE & then the great timed vacation came which you'll see with the timing of the last post here :). For what it's worth, no matter how trivial, if I say I'll do something, I do....

The request was for me to back up my claim that the DNR's goals for deer is not just population - in a nutshell. I claimed it was ALSO heavily revolved around economy/economic value, new hunter recruitment, biology & make-up of the herd, older bucks, bringing in revenue (tags, etc) etc, etc, etc. All additionally reasons why other states would see huge benefit to a later gun season for the many reasons folks can expressed & have so.

OK, I will admit... I cannot find any "stated goals" that precisely say the DNR is trying to accomplish XYZ, whatever it may be. So, this is up for some logic, interpretation, opinion and a very simple case to be made that could end up with 2 differing opinions. Here's what I've found and the logic that tells me the DNR has goals far deeper than just managing the population.....

1) The DNR keeps active records & promotes Iowa's trophy bucks. This can be seen on their website http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/DeerHunting/IowasRecordBucks.aspx They have official state measurers and keep track of Iowa giants yearly. For a state only caring about population - I cannot see why this would have any mention if that were the case.

2) HUSH- population control AND providing meat to the needy (2 goals, not just population) http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/DeerHunting/HelpUsStopHungerHUSH.aspx

3) Governor Tags. Probably not a fan by most as to how unfair and un-needed the program is BUT it's meant to go to celebs and those who can put Iowa deer hunting out to the masses across the country to attract and promote Iowa Deer hunting. Awarded to folks who continue to have the most impact and create the most spotlight for Iowa Deer hunting (TROPHY BUCKS). http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-22/celebrity-deer-hunt/52745192/1 Most disagree with the program like I said (for dang good reason) but surely not a program (managed by DNR) that sounds like having anything to do with population control & management in my strong opinion.

4) I can't find the source on this BUT there was an article done by the DNR that reflected the past of deciding on the late gun season. In the article, it did talk of farmer's busy schedules during November so they pushed it back so they had time. But, the article clearly stated they "did it with a purpose, knowing that keeping guns out of the rut would allow many bucks to wise up before the gun hunters were in pursuit, allowing more bucks to reach mature ages" or something along those lines. It had mentioned how other neighboring states also had large farming populations and gun seasons during the rut but Iowa had a strategic goal and plan for managing Iowa's deer & bucks to get them older with the later season. That was some tidbits I've recalled from some past reading, sorry on the non-specifics on this one, I'm sure many recall the same though.

5) Can we just agree the state actively pursues economic benefits of deer hunting? Tag sales, businesses that get revenue, bigger bucks = higher NR tag prices (IMO) & a long list of economical benefits the state gets. Obviously this is a short list above & we could list many other sources and reasons the DNR wants a balanced herd, age structure, $ coming in, new hunters, monster bucks, etc, etc. My opinion and at least wanted to back it up with some quick info that I feel helps better make the case.

There are changes planned for Missouri's deer future seasons.

Yes, people are stubborn about the traditional dates but those guys are getting older and hunting less, but changes are in the works. Difficult to say when it will happen and if they'll stay the course and follow through with the proposed changes.

Turkey season is changing too. Love that idea. Having to be out of the woods at 1pm is ridiculous!

Indiana tried, vote went thru then hunters petitioned and got it changed. Would have been nice, 16 days of gun season starting nov. 15 is a joke

Kratz

hey, what was the deal with this?!?!?! I can't imagine how good Indiana would be with a later gun season, oh my. They absolutely have a great idea with a 1 buck rule. Plus a late gun, oh my would everyone have tremendous hunting. what were the details of what proposed and how it all fell apart?

There are changes planned for Missouri's deer future seasons. Yes, people are stubborn about the traditional dates but those guys are getting older and hunting less, but changes are in the works. Difficult to say when it will happen and if they'll stay the course and follow through with the proposed changes. Turkey season is changing too. Love that idea. Having to be out of the woods at 1pm is ridiculous!

I'm just curious where you saw or heard they were changing, I'm really hoping they do, just wondering if there was some info out there or you talked to somebody with MDC, thanks

SE MN has antler point restrictions. If they go to a late November gun season or December, this area will be awesome.

Several big bucks have been shot here recently. One landowner in that area says it now compares to ... Across the river (Buffalo County) Wisconsin

Missouri is by far the worst state to attempt managing a deer herd in. We have 3-4 weeks straight of CENTERFIRE rifle season right when the young bucks are most vulnerable. I cannot stand it when the orange army heads out and starts throwing lead at anything they see. I'm envious of you all up in Iowa..

There are changes planned for Missouri's deer future seasons.

Yes, people are stubborn about the traditional dates but those guys are getting older and hunting less, but changes are in the works. Difficult to say when it will happen and if they'll stay the course and follow through with the proposed changes.

Turkey season is changing too. Love that idea. Having to be out of the woods at 1pm is ridiculous!

How do you know this!?? You've got my hopes up now!

Missouri is by far the worst state to attempt managing a deer herd in. We have 3-4 weeks straight of CENTERFIRE rifle season right when the young bucks are most vulnerable. I cannot stand it when the orange army heads out and starts throwing lead at anything they see. I'm envious of you all up in Iowa..

Most of Minnesota is worse. We have the gun season in early November every year. Plus we have a 16 day muzzleloader season. Most of November is guns.

SE MN has antler point restrictions and that is working, but the rest of us, poor hunting. We have great habitat but awful timing on the season.

We do have the (1) buck limit though

Here we have the Minnesota Deer Hunters Assn with their bib overalls and their chewing tobacco and they are large and powerful and fight every change the DNR tries to put into place. I would love to see the season backed up even just one week, but you have to realize we are the icebox of the nation and we will NEVER have a December season. Just getting it to the middle of November from the first weekend will be a huge challenge.

Here we have the Minnesota Deer Hunters Assn with their bib overalls and their chewing tobacco and they are large and powerful and fight every change the DNR tries to put into place. I would love to see the season backed up even just one week, but you have to realize we are the icebox of the nation and we will NEVER have a December season. Just getting it to the middle of November from the first weekend will be a huge challenge.

That's sad and I don't doubt one bit of that. Frigin tough guys are really a bunch of sissies.... Can't handle the poor cold weather. And honestly, that cold weather will keep them fighting for keeping the retarded early rifle season. Bunch of cry baby sissy pants. I'd love to say it to the whole group, I'd continue to say it as they pulled me aside and started beating the crap out of me too - bunch of sissies. Clowns ruin that state. What would be the best for example with MN - take the lower 1/2 of the state- Nov 22 gun opener, 8 days long. Upper 1/2 of state, Nov 18 opener, 5 days long. 1 buck limit continued. That state would be off the hook from something like that. I get so sick of folks knocking common sense like that. It would benefit EVERYONE!!!!!!

Sligh you should have seen them fight against the APR in southeast MN, mostly people who don't even hunt there. Now in its third year, people are finally seeing the benefit of it. There are plenty of problems with APRs and if we could just move the season back even one week it would be huge for this state, but the "Deer Camp" mentality of you got to get your buck every year is so foolish. Everyone says they would like to have a chance at bigger bucks, but if there was a yearling buck standing beside a big doe they will shoot the buck every time. It's just engrained in the culture in most of the state.

hey, what was the deal with this?!?!?! I can't imagine how good Indiana would be with a later gun season, oh my. They absolutely have a great idea with a 1 buck rule. Plus a late gun, oh my would everyone have tremendous hunting. what were the details of what proposed and how it all fell apart?

It was initially brought up for vote by a public opinion poll on the dnr website. It got enough traction to get a recommendation and preliminary adoption from the DNR. The last step was a public forum across the state for final adoption This is where it fell apart. The weekend warriors came out in droves to complain about moving the gun season out of the rut. The DNR then caved from their initial decision and didn't make the change.

I don't think we could ever produce the giants in northern Indiana where I am due to too much hunting pressure and smaller parcels. Southern Indiana is a different story. They mirror Southern Iowa with big timber and land owners with some nasty cover.

Yep, MN deer management is in the stone ages which is why I bought a farm in Missouri.

Rack Addict, do you have some inside info on MO gun season or is it just wishful thinking on your part?

If people are really concerned with deer/buck quality in Iowa they will push for size limits on bucks. That would really put a damper on the "brown and down" mentality during the shot gunning seasons, but it would give your young bucks a chance to mature.

How do you know this!?? You've got my hopes up now!

Some people have been saying that for years now.

I would not get ur hopes up too much on season changes for MO. Too many have the mentality here that the seasons r fine and u need to move to another state if u want change...

Top Bottom