Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

noway in hell does mark drury live in iowa- show me the school records where his daugher attended school in Southern Iowa- The company itself is based in Mo, which does not prove anything , but all the signs point to no. I dont blame them, but the drurys do what they need to do to get what they want. helping the DNR not only helps their company but also helps them in their pursuit of deer and helps keep their land values up. its all godd, but lets call a spade a spade here . they are business people and as everyone knows in life sometimes you have kiss some tush to make everyone happy. back to some of those earlier posts, zero difference between drury and most non resident landowners, beacuse they both want the same thing and they are both non residents and byw- only reason they can afford to buy all your land is because we lete them hunt here which in turn sells their product

They are no more or less important than the land owners, however they are in the public eye. Monkey see, monkey do. Take mike smith owns 80 acres of timber and farms 200, he's from Des Moines Iowa and do the round table talk with him and the Iowa DNR and put it all over youtube, then do the same thing with the Drury's and you'll see a 10 fold comparison in responses between the two. Go to the store and have someone who's never picked up a bow buy a Drury video and a whitetail freaks video and say learn how to hunt from this video. These are the ways I'm talking the drury's impact IOWA. You are taking my comment out of context. I wasn't inferring that the Drury brothers are the ultimate deciding beneficiary in Iowa's rule and regulations. I simply state an opinion that said these guys do it right, they have helped drastically open the public's eyes at conservation efforts, QDMA, TSI and they are directly impacted the people of Iowa.

If it is a monkey see monkey do thing you better be thanking the Lakosky's too.

Tough for any state to monitor and track individuals on there whereabouts and where the family is. The NSA is doing that, but they have a bigger budget than the Iowa DNR.

Set a time requirement and get it over with. Not all husbands and wives spend every day together (work or play).

Worst case they get to shoot a buck off the property that they paid for!

Unlike you, I don't hold them in esteem and doubt they advocate for the average Iowa deer hunter.

Took the words right out of my mouth! These people probably don't give to craps about the average Joe. Sure hope you don't base you fondness for them based on meeting them at shows or appearances. They are business men first and foremost and some of us continue to buy into them and their products.

"The court found that each man has families living elsewhere and they regularly return to those locations after traveling to Iowa and other states. The court said the DNR's conclusion that the men are not permanent Iowa residents is supported by substantial evidence." .....Based on aforementioned sited ruling, how is it that Mark Drury and Scott Prucha, each who have wives and famillies living in another state,(Mo. and WI.) continue to qualify as Iowa residents....seems like a case of unequal enforcement of the law .. IMO ...just seems like it reeks of favortism/politics.

Once again the Supreme Court of Iowa shows it's intelligence or lack thereof:

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was a resident of Arizona while her husband remained a resident of Texas and worked for NASA.

Hilary Clinton decides to become a resident of NY to run for the Senate while old Slick Willie remained a resident of Maryland/DC. She buys an apartment in the city and low and behold.

Rahm Emanuel decides he want to be mayor of Chicago, sets up residence there while his wife and kids are in DC. Wins the race and they later join him in Chicago.

Point is spouses can be residents of any state they want. It happens on the federal level every day.

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was a resident of Arizona while her husband remained a resident of Texas and worked for NASA.

Hilary Clinton decides to become a resident of NY to run for the Senate while old Slick Willie remained a resident of Maryland/DC. She buys an apartment in the city and low and behold.

Rahm Emanuel decides he want to be mayor of Chicago, sets up residence there while his wife and kids are in DC. Wins the race and they later join him in Chicago.

Point is spouses can be residents of any state they want. It happens on the federal level every day.

The only ones you left out were former VP Dick Cheney and the current
President. I think those three guys in the court case must have peed in
someone's Kool-Aid.

The Supreme Court of Iowa affirmed that the Iowa Department of Natural Resources can determine the requirements that establish residency for obtaining resident hunting licenses.

Other residency requirements are moot.

In Nov. I was at the new Brew Pub in Albia( Albia Brewing Co. I think ?..some decent brews and consistently Great Brew Pub food..try their custom pizzas, and 50/50 burger...half bacon and half beef..bring a defibulator, it is GREAT )..whoops, lost my train of thought......Anyway, struck up a conversation with guy at bar sitting next to me..says he was one of the guys in the lawsuit. Apparently he retired from some company in the late 90's....bought his first Iowa farm in early 2000's...not a rich guy by any means ( and sure didn't look it )...says he has always worked 2-3 jobs his entire life, and stiil does...says in early 2000's he called the local CO and asked what was necessary to establish legal residency. Also, said he called Co's boss in Des Moines( Dermand ?) and has faxes from him outlining the proper preceedure/ process....he complied with all requirements... Because he was retired, and was his own boss ( think he said he had a couple of small business and could work anywhere he wanted)...he chose Iowa. His kids were all grown and out of the house. His wife still had a part-time job back East....He bought a house, registered to vote, got an Iowa drivers license and bought a car in Iowa. Told me over half of his income was earned in Iowa and pays state and federal income taxes as an Iowa resident ....It is all in the court documents according to guy....He was a legal Iowa resident from 2006 -2010...in 2010 the law was re-written to say that if you were in Iowa solely for purposes of hunting, fishing , trapping you are not a legal resident....he was totally legal until law was re-written and said would remain legal until courts rendered final ruling. I asked if he could have been Grandfathered as a resident, but apparently courts ruled no such thing as being Grandfathered....so now, because he only bowhunts, and is in mid sixties ,will only get to bowhunt his farms 3-5 more times if he stays healthy and can hunt until he is 80 !..Would be an easier pill to swallow, he said, if law was being enforced equally...ie, Mark Drury, Scott Prucha and many others with the RIGHT connections....

Medacine Man,

I also know one of the defendants and I must say that the state is for sure cherry picking. I am not wanting to get into a ping pong with anyone but I am not stupid and would think you would have to be blind not to see whats really going on, read that Judge and DNR. I also know that the law does not apply the same to everyone. I do remember seeing an episode of gettin close where lee said he came to Iowa to hunt deer. Drurys are there to hunt deer period. Until the state treats everyone fairly I will have to bite my Tongue right now.

What is left to prostitute out now that they have run the herd into the dirt? politicians and judges have fore sight advantage as to laws and rulings and it will always favor the fat cats which I'm not one of. So many people on here have brought up good points but its all for nothing. When was the last time you got a round table meeting with the DNR? Maybe you and I lost the invite in the Mail? Lots of us have the same drive and ability as any pro hunter on tv given the land and a money backer behind us. I am too busy working to pay for my farm to be tied up in politics. All of us who work hard and own land deserve the same benefit as another landowner. There should be no difference from the landowner who works for Ford and the one with a show on the outdoor channel. thing that burns me is you can be a drunk rouwdy country singer come here and Iowa DNR falls over and hands you tags and HUSH. PLEASE. If there was never another show on TV about Iowa there still would be a bulls eye on Iowa forever.

Last edited:
Medicine notice the lack of responses to your post. The thing that burns me is that so many say "you knew the rules when you bought in Iowa". If your post is accurate that is the second instance where the law has changed negatively after NR's bought property, the first being the NR archery doe tag being eliminated and now the residency requirement. Oh well. I'll keep applying and keep coming.

Medicine notice the lack of responses to your post. The thing that burns me is that so many say "you knew the rules when you bought in Iowa". If your post is accurate that is the second instance where the law has changed negatively after NR's bought property, the first being the NR archery doe tag being eliminated and now the residency requirement. Oh well. I'll keep applying and keep coming.

Jdubs

A lot of people are simply salty regardless of the circumstances. It was a witch hunt from the DNR. If I were those gentleman I would continue the fight until I see the celebrities tags pulled for the same reason. I'd also bring up the bias of the governs tags and test the constitutionality of it.

I challenge Officers like Dallas Davis, Kyle Jensen to do the right thing here and start looking into the details of these people, Scott Prucha, Mark Drury, Jeff and David Lindsey to name a few. It is about time we get some consistency in the way we enforce rules and regs. I do not care if the governor is a first relative, rules are rules.

Unfortunately for those 3 guys, it all comes down to legal "gamesmanship"......and its clear to me these guys were either targeted by DNR & the IA legal system, or had the wrong lawyer rep'ing them, or both. Ashame the government pulls this stuff, but they do. IRS, and other government agencies have been using same strategy forever.....singling out a few to serve as examples for the masses. DNR wanted to send the message that they are watching. These guys needed to prove that they met the residency standards that they had been given, but failed to do that. No question there are LOTS of others with lots less compelling cases that get away with it.....because they either stay under the radar or are so high-profile (like celebs mentioned) that government doesn't want to mess with them. These guys just fell somewhere in the middle and met the profile the gov't was looking for.

Not entirely accurate magnus. If Medicine is correct they did meet the residency requirement then it was changed. Big difference between claiming invalid residency and actually complying with residency regs and having them changed. Heck the guy called the CO to make sure he had the residency details correct.

If Medicine is correct they did meet the residency requirement then it was changed. Big difference between claiming invalid residency and actually complying with residency regs and having them changed. Heck the guy called the CO to make sure he had the residency details correct.

These guys needed to prove that they met the residency standards that they had been given, but failed to do that.

Pretty much what I said. Seems like they didn't defend themselves very well.

Top Bottom