Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

pulling treestands?

Lucky13

When do you guys pull treestands? do you pull the stands? Im going to pull all of mine just because Im changing some sets and hopefully adding some new farms to the list...i know that someone on here had said they dont shed hunt until late because they didnt want to spook deer, do you use the same theory with stand removal?

I would pull them before shed season. Nothing seems sacred these days with shed poachers and I would not want my stands out there personally. The less exposure to the elements, the longer they will last.

I don't pull stands unless they need moved to better area or need maintenance. I put an extra ratchet strap on often but my stands also have chains & locks 4 safety.

I pull every year, no sense in letting them weather for 7 months when not necessary, inspect every one, replace parts as needed. I enjoy the work, makes that buck in the fall that much more satisfying. I don't use any ladder stands or may feel a little different, my safety is number 1 and why take that unneeded chance? I think a lot of guys are just to lazy, not all but alot

We usually leave them up because we put them in that spot for a reason...good wind, major travel route, access...etc. we don't put up a questionable stand so usually we leave them up. If we find a deer is using a new area we put up a new one with the prior things in mind. We have A LOT of stands but with the different winds it gives you plenty of options.

Last edited:
I hunt mostly public so I have no choice really but to pull them, even if I did own private I'd prolly pull them anyways right after season, Mother Nature is hard on stuff, rain sun snow ice etc

I take them out right after season because I'm more likely to move them to a better tree the next summer with what I learned the previous fall

I pull mine yearly for safety reasons yearly. People think I am nuts, but safety trumps it everytime.

We usually pull all our stands the weekend before shotgun season. We hunt a mix of public and private and don't want anything disappearing...we also don't want to have any sweet spots identified because a stand is still sitting in a tree. The thought of some guy from the orange army rolling into a property I hunt and climbing into a stand I worked to set makes me unhappy so I try to eliminate the option.

For you guys that leave stands hang,as I do,at least put new ratchet straps on every other year in the interest of safety. The elements are really hard on the thred holding the hooks on the ends and you can't tell till they fail. I know from experience.

I only pull the stands that are in spots I do not plan to hunt the next year, I have stands that have been out over 10 years.
Is it possible to order new replacement straps or are you guys just using basic ratchet straps?

Wood like to add sumthing I learned from this last pull, get stands out b4 they get frozen into the ground holy smokes was that 1 a real pain in the butt, glad I had a hatchet!!

Top Bottom