Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off to a bad start!

Deer Nut

PMA Member
Late muzzleloader is off to a rough start. I should be changing into my hunting clothes right now. But, I blew a tire 30 miles from home on my trailer! It exploded, curled the fender over on the trailer badly, then a chunk of the tire flew forward and busted my passenger side mirror on my truck! So i'm at home right now waiting for Orchelns to open...... I doubt I can bend the fender back myself. I really need a 4ft pipe wrench! I'm just glad I didn't damage my wheeler.

On the road again! 4 hours later... Fixed the fender and got a new tire on. Let's see what else today has to offer. I'm headed to the woods.

Holy smokes did I have a crazy evening hunt! Hopefully tomorrow morning I will have a nice long story, with pictures ;)

Sick sick sick to my stomach. I had a DANDY 10 pt 110 yards out last night. Pulled the trigger, the smoke cleared, and he had only ran 30 yards and stopped. He stood there for 5 solid minutes. I couldnt get another shot. He eventually hunched up and hopped his rear end into a thicket. Short, painful hops. I assumed I just hit him too far back and the bullet will take care of him. I was wrong. I backed out. I didnt even look for blood. I came back 14 hours later and started trailing him. The blood trail was disappointing. Just small drops. Followed him 400 yards and found a bed. Followed drops of blood from there to another bed 100 yards further. Very little blood in each bed. There were coyote tracks all over and around that second bed.From there it was just tiny specs and he was running. He had a faint blood stain in one of his hoof prints. I think the coyotes were chasing him. It all led to a creek crossing and I couldn't find any more sign from that point on. 4 hours of searching. This one is going to haunt me for a long, long time. He was a stud. Big ten with a beautiful 5 inch flyer off his G2. I have no idea where I hit him and how I missed that badly.
Edited to add what I thought he might score. Solid 170. I need a beer.

Last edited:
I searched the entire timber. But I will be back to look more.

Forgot to mention something, his urine has blood in it. Must have hit him really far back?

That's to bad. I would walk that creek and look for a deep spot. He might have tried to hold them off in the water and could have died right there.

If there are yote tracks they killed him. No way if give up looking already.

Read a few posts and you'll realize this guy is a self proclaimed know-it-all, so take the post with a grain of salt...maybe two.

Continue your search as you are able, but keep your chin up...we've all been there. Good luck with the rest of your season!!

NWBuck

Last edited:
Top Bottom