Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Good Iowa Whiskey or Bourbon

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
I have a bet with a guy I met who was originally from Colorado who lived in Iowa for a few years and then moved back. We bet on the Iowa game and if he wins I have to provide him with a bottle of a good Iowa whiskey or bourbon that he can't get out there and if I win I get a couple sixers of some local craft beers. Well I decided I'm gonna get him a bottle no matter the outcome since he did promise to take me elk hunting and mule deer hunting in the next two years. So what are you guys favorites? We both prefer Cedar Ridge to Templeton as far as a shooter and thats how we usually drink em. He can get both of those locally out there so he wants something else. Any ideas.

If you are drinking them as a shooter you need to take your skirt off, not to mention grow a little hair on your chest.

Some guys just don't deserve the finer things......:rolleyes:

If you are drinking them as a shooter you need to take your skirt off, not to mention grow a little hair on your chest.

Some guys just don't deserve the finer things......:rolleyes:
They are usually sipped, but when we get together ice fishing or hanging out at deer camp they are shot.

Only thing worse than doing good bourbon as a shooter is mixing with anything besides an ice cube or two.

As far as Iowa bourbon or whiskey, to answer your question, would be to get a bottle of the real Templeton Rye. I hear there is still some made locally. I saw a picture of a bootleg bottle, it was in an old Jim Beam bottle with duct tape as the seal. I'm not sure it wasn't a hoax, the guy that showed me the pic is a true bourbon connoisseur.

Last edited:
Only thing worse than doing good bourbon as a shooter is mixing with anything besides an ice cube or two.

As far as Iowa bourbon or whiskey, to answer your question, would be to get a bottle of the real Templeton Rye. I hear there is still some made locally. I saw a picture of a bootleg bottle, it was in an old Jim Beam bottle with duct tape as the seal. I'm not sure it wasn't a hoax, the guy that showed me the pic is a true bourbon connoisseur.
I had a glass of what I was told was the real stuff from a guy one night when we celebrated my completion of an internship. He was originally from that area and said he had his connections. The stuff was hands down the best I've ever had.

That is not a hoax! Very Very smooth. Just finished a bottle.

A friend of mine in Carroll gave me a bottle of supposed TR it was a flask shaped bottle with a stamp on it that read greetings from Templeton. If it was fake b would be shocked it had a wicked kick to it. I would try and find a bottle of that for him Guy told me that bottle cost $45 about 10 years ago

Templeton gets my vote also.

If it is worth drinking, do it straight, room temp, maybe just pour it in a glass to be polite. :D

Top Bottom