Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Yes, I do allow my resident neighbor to trap and hunt my property. I know it's a shocker because NRLO's are all a - holes, but yea I do grant permission to him.

Also, I did respond to your PM and said I appreciate you asking but I only give permission to folks I know. Over the years I've grown to know my resident neighbor very well and gave permission because he's a great guy. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Old argument after old argument. The facts are NRLO's are in Iowa and do have deer management problems not foreseen by the DNR or politicians. Many NRLO are serious deer managers and know killing big bucks depends on the overall health of the herd and ratios. I also permit hunting and allow resident hunters. So, under your scenario you have the ability to manage your land and I don't. Resident owners contribute to the deer issues as well. If you remember I have over 1500 acres around me owned by residents that allow no hunting. As you said earlier the state owns the resource and apparently don't care about the health of that resource on NR owned ground?

As I proposed introduce legislation that caps NR land ownership at 20% with guaranteed tags and the ability to sell to R's or NR's. Land management is achieved and worried residents are assured of minimal NR land ownership.

Fletch, you're completely unreasonable, have all the answers and nobody has anything of value to contribute, you win? NRLO's bought because the state of Iowa allowed it. Things change constantly and the state didn't anticipate the number of NR's who would buy land. What's the solution? Have the state take it all back and give it to you to manage.

The irony is that only the NRLO's seem to think that we have a problem that needs fixing by allowing guaranteed tags. In the end, it would make the problem exponentially worse. But, you dont see the irony and never will because your ideas only serve your wants. As far as answers, yes, I do have the answers, but you dont like them so you will continue to ignore their merit. I am through with this, you are the only one that seems to continue with the circular approach and its become boring.

You also can manage your land by allowing residents to come kill as many does and mature bucks as you see fit. No different than my place. But, you wont. I like the way you speak of letting residents hunt and then refer to the hunters as "him". Sounds like a sound management plan.....or not. Very typical, part of the problem, not the solution. Good luck to you in everything except ever getting any preference as a NRLO.

Fletch
I hate to drop this on you but iowa aint what it once was. I had a long conversation yesterday about some serious land ready to change hands and its not oh my in iowa. How could that be? No place is as
Good as here and the primary factor could be not allowing nr a tag on land they own. Funny thing is some serious names came up and the funny thing is this, you can go to walmart and buy a tag. And I want in on it. The people involved are serious hitters and dont want to hunt for free. How can a place where you can buy a tag over the counter be as good as iowa and their A1 approach at management?

And no you cant hunt there as its for me. See 14 hr days at work for many years allows me to say yes or no and I do say yes to some.

Last edited:
Iabwhntr, you're welcome. My place is not that big but if and when my neighbor quits hunting, he's no spring chicken, I would be happy to meet you when I visit and work something out. I do need some TSI advice :). Good hunting.

it would make the problem exponentially worse.

Dude, first of all, let it die. There has to be something better for you to do with your time. Secondly, it's obvious you like using big words, but if you'd like an explanation of what the quoted post above really means, let me know and I'd be happy to help out. But really guys...enough already :(

NWBuck

Dude, first of all, let it die. There has to be something better for you to do with your time. Secondly, it's obvious you like using big words, but if you'd like an explanation of what the quoted post above really means, let me know and I'd be happy to help out. But really guys...enough already :(

NWBuck

Oh please, I am all ears. I so want you to explain it all to me. I really do. Because I haven't a clue.

Sorry if you had to look some of those words up. I can back off on the vocabulary if it helps.

Last edited:
Fletch
I hate to drop this on you but iowa aint what it once was. I had a long conversation yesterday about some serious land ready to change hands and its not oh my in iowa. How could that be? No place is as
Good as here and the primary factor could be not allowing nr a tag on land they own. Funny thing is some serious names came up and the funny thing is this, you can go to walmart and buy a tag. And I want in on it. The people involved are serious hitters and dont want to hunt for free. How can a place where you can buy a tag over the counter be as good as iowa and their A1 approach at management?

And no you cant hunt there as its for me. See 14 hr days at work for many years allows me to say yes or no and I do say yes to some.

Again, huh?

I will agree that its not what it once was, but not allowing NRLO's tags has absolutely nothing to do with it. Really, nothing at all.

Go for it!! Read your posts and ask yourself if you have been civil or friendly (look in the mirror)

There are many residents and non-residents who get along on this site. This issue is extremely controversial for a good reason. Not be able to deer hunt (archery)on land they own is obviously controversial, especially when residents can shoot 3 bucks on the land they own.

It's strictly an access issue, political (group of hunters) have pushed for this. The residents that I have met in person are not opposed to NRLO tags, the small towns In Southern Iowa do care...they are getting smaller, empty buildings ...there are consequences for this of course.

It is what it is, hard to speculate on the future. NRLO have $$$ on their side, less controversy with lawsuits if a tag is issued, increasing numbers of outside buyers.

Residents gave a strong political group, and votes, and right now 9 to 1 tag ratio (best in the nation)

We will see?

Hardwood,
I completely missed this post earlier. Sorry, not trying to ignore you. For the most part, I believe that yes, I have been civil as well as friendly. Granted there have been a few comments that could have been worded differently, but over all I don't think I've said anything ugly or intentionally hurtful. Do you feel that I have? Is there a comment in particular that you found offensive?

As far as people getting along, I think Rodney King said it best, don't you?
I know this is a polarizing topic (I suspect that's why it's titled the way it is...) but for the most part it has remained fairly civil. After all we are on page 45 and the mods haven't shut it down yet. Impressive. Good job everybody.

I disagree with your statement about this being an access issue though. Provided your use of the word access is in relation to physical presence and not an ability to participate.
Will you clarify that statement for me? Because I'm not really sure what your point was.

Access--the concern is losing access to farms.

I have no hard feelings toward anyone, and I hope none my way. No worries!

This thread seemed to be getting a little inbred so I feel the need to jump in. Everyone has been pretty well behaved but I was wondering if there could ever be any common ground. I believe very strongly in property rights but would hate to see the land rush that would occur if NRLO's were guaranteed tags every year. I'm acquainted with one of the gentlemen involved in the Supreme Court case who owns land adjacent to mine. I am concerned about what will happen to his property; instead of hunting his property himself, will he now lease it to someone like IMB? Or lease it directly to other hunters? what was once a property hunted by one or two people could become a pass-through for many hunters. Earlier someone mentioned that they didn't think many NRLO owned large parcels and I'm wondering if anyone came up with a list or percentages? What are the thoughts on giving NRLO's one any-sex tag per 500 acres? And another thought, why do we keep calling these guys poachers and lawbreakers when they followed the rules put in place by the state of Iowa? 20 years ago one didn't even need an Iowa drivers license, just a voter registration card to prove residency. Now its a lot tighter, and that's a good thing. But it seems a bit like playing a game with the schoolyard bully who changes the rules as he goes along to suit himself. Just sayin'.

This thread seemed to be getting a little inbred so I feel the need to jump in. Everyone has been pretty well behaved but I was wondering if there could ever be any common ground. I believe very strongly in property rights but would hate to see the land rush that would occur if NRLO's were guaranteed tags every year. I'm acquainted with one of the gentlemen involved in the Supreme Court case who owns land adjacent to mine. I am concerned about what will happen to his property; instead of hunting his property himself, will he now lease it to someone like IMB? Or lease it directly to other hunters? what was once a property hunted by one or two people could become a pass-through for many hunters. Earlier someone mentioned that they didn't think many NRLO owned large parcels and I'm wondering if anyone came up with a list or percentages? What are the thoughts on giving NRLO's one any-sex tag per 500 acres? And another thought, why do we keep calling these guys poachers and lawbreakers when they followed the rules put in place by the state of Iowa? 20 years ago one didn't even need an Iowa drivers license, just a voter registration card to prove residency. Now its a lot tighter, and that's a good thing. But it seems a bit like playing a game with the schoolyard bully who changes the rules as he goes along to suit himself. Just sayin'.

I don't think that the rules were so much changed as they were clarified. The intent was always that you must be a "resident" to have resident hunting privileges. The problems started when guys started to skirt the true intentions of the rules. That's when the rules were clarified to more clearly set the standards for the original intent. I really don't feel NRLO's were following the old rules as much as they were side-stepping them. Keep in mind that it has never been legal to obtain an Iowa drivers license if Iowa was not your true, primary state of residency. Many guys are already breaking the law on that point alone just to get resident hunting privileges.

In my opinion, even at 500 acres minimum, we would see a large amount of ground get new gates and be posted if a tag is guaranteed. Ground that our true residents now have access to.

It's really as simple as: Move here and enjoy the privileges of a true resident. If not, enjoy the privileges of a non-resident or buy ground where you like the rules better.

Landrobber--Some very good points, it's a issue that doesn't seem to have a common ground. I like the +1 preference point idea if you own X amount of acres in Iowa. It was brought up on here by a local R. It would not bring in the land rush, but it would allow NR landowners to get drawn a few more times.

Isn't it ultimately about the money? As resident hunters we haven't gained anything by not letting NR land owner hunt own their own property every year. I mean, these properties aren't going to suddenly be available for us to hunt.

Now those properties will be leased out to other non resident hunters or outfitters. So the land will still be hunted, there is a shortage of hunting land in Iowa. That is why there is a waiting list for NR hunters that want to hunt Iowa.

The laws are so messed up it's ridiculous. A NR hunter can buy a doe tag party hunt with a group of shot gun hunters kill a good buck have someone in the party tag it and take it home out of state.

We allow rifle hunting in the lower counties for a late doe season. This puts the states money makers that have dropped in jeopardy along with tomorrows bucks (buttons).

I mean this stuff can't be happening but it is. How many hunters with rifles are outlaws that would shoot a big buck out of the window? Lets just give the fox keys to the hen house.

The state isn't interested in preserving the buck herd in Iowa. The state is interested in the revenue it can reap out of the deer herd.

The state isn't interested in preserving the buck herd in Iowa. The state is interested in the revenue it can reap out of the deer herd.
I agree 100%....The silver lining to not having a place to hunt or deer to kill is that we have plenty of bike trails.:rolleyes:

Well said!! And don't forget about all the mature antlerless/shed bucks that get killed in the late doe rifle season. IMO this is the greatest insult to Iowa's buck herd.....second only to EHD.

Isn't it ultimately about the money?

The laws are so messed up it's ridiculous. A NR hunter can buy a doe tag party hunt with a group of shot gun hunters kill a good buck have someone in the party tag it and take it home out of state.

We allow rifle hunting in the lower counties for a late doe season. This puts the states money makers that have dropped in jeopardy along with tomorrows bucks (buttons).

For revenue generating and managing the damaged Iowa deer herd maybe the powers that be should consider closing the deer season to residents and adding 5,000 more NR licenses at roughly $500 each for a few years! Can't wait to party hunt the late doe/ shed buck season with my new 223 with a 30 shot mag!

For revenue generating and managing the damaged Iowa deer herd maybe the powers that be should consider closing the deer season to residents and adding 5,000 more NR licenses at roughly $500 each for a few years! Can't wait to party hunt the late doe/ shed buck season with my new 223 with a 30 shot mag!

Could do that, but then what would you guys have to whine about 365 days a year?

Top Bottom