Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

need some input

Lucky13

As i have stated before this is my first year in the state of Iowa. I had a great bow season with seeing many deer and some pretty neat encounters. Now I have been reading what you guys have been saying about the deer herd which I am somewhat in the dark about because I dont know what it was like before....

My issue...

I hunt some ground that is what I would consider to be pretty good, with lots of good up and coming bucks and what I feel is a good buck to doe ratio...This ground that I hunt is owned by my boss...touchy but it works out and he doesnt hunt nor does anyone else hunt it...Today he mentioned something to me about hunting this late doe season and shooting some does, which i replied with a solid NO and expressedn my concerns...he replied with a simple well that was part of the deal and I an renig your hunting rights for next year...now was he joking I dont know!!! So what does a guy do?

When i think about shooting does I think about the fact that i could be killing a bred deer that would give birth to what someday could be your Iowa Monarch!

This wouldnt be a big deal if i had other ground to hunt but as of now i do not...This is a different issue because A i work with the guy and B I dont want to lose the right to hunt the land...

So what do i do??
thanks

I'd at least go shoot one or two does to keep him happy. A decent place to hunt is better than no place to hunt. If he really wants does gone, he will find someone else to come shoot them, possibly a lot of them. And if you currently have sole permission on this ground that would be even more of a reason to keep him happy. And you can keep some control. Just my thought.

He owns it. Doesn't have to let you hunt it. He wants some does shot. Do it or plan on finding another property.

If it were me I'd hunt the late doe season and kill a few does. That's an issue I address with landowners prior to hunting so I know what exactly they want me to do. Most of them reply with "you know better than me so you make that call." I've had one who allowed bucks only and I've had several that want a few deer taken.

I'd plan on harvesting a few doe fawns to have the smallest impact if your worried about it.

When runner meets the road it comes down to whether you are willing to lose your best hunting spot over it. I'd only be concerned if that specific property isn't showing adequate numbers of deer.

Ditto to the above. His ground, his management plan...although expressing your concerns of overharvest, I believe, was ok. But in the end, if he wants some does gone, he will figure out a way to do it with or without you. That being said, just because you go out to shoot a few does doesn't mean you will actually get the shot. And if worried about shooting the mother to the next Iowa record...just because she has the buck fawn doesn't mean it will make it to grow record antlers. And like said above, maybe focus on the younger does.

You indicated that you had a great season and saw a lot of deer...that tells me that in your specific location there is still a healthy population. I would not hesitate to shoot a few does in that case and I would make sure that whoever was giving me sole access to a quality area had plenty of deer sticks in his freezer too! :D

The deer population is highly variable and location specific, more so nowadays than ever before. If you have a good population, then by all means, keep it under control by taking a fair number of deer off of it. If your area was way down though in population, then yes, you probably have more of a dilemma on your hands. But in your case, the solution is clear to me! BOOM! BOOM!

Right on target Daver; As a landowner, I set the parameters when I let guys hunt. Some guys are only allowed to shoot does and seem happy to do it. Others may be allowed a buck one year but not necessarily the next. But all are expected to shoot as many does as possible; we aim (pun intended) for 30 to 50 does each year and generally come pretty close to that.

His land his rules. Either apologize for not understanding the rules and dont shoot a couple does and don't hunt there next year or shoot a couple does as requested and be glad you have a great place to hunt. Either way apologize for not fully understanding the landowners expectations.

Its absolutely ok to express your concerns! You are the eyes and ears of the herd on that property. But like others have said, do as he asks and hunt the late season. Aim to shoot a yearling or two. This will keep the doe herd older and more productive. A yearling will only have one fawn, if any at all. Count your blessings on having sole rights and do what it takes to keep it that way!

Shoot a doe, enjoy some backstraps. Keep him happy. Maybe ask why he wants does shot . . . . I wouldn't argue with him. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom