Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

870 Express cleaning

meyeri

PMA Member
Hey guys,

I am in the process of changing out the wood stock on my 870 with a synthetic shurshot thumbhole stock that I just received. I was amazed at the rust pitting that had begun under the wooden forend where it contacts the metal tube it attaches to. I've had this gun since I was 15 and I always thought I did a good job of cleaning it but I am now re thinking my cleaning routine after 13 years.

I don't know how you can adequately clean this part of the gun since the only way to see it is to take the forend assembly completely apart, but it was an issue on mine. My guess is the wood holds in the moisture and with all the days I spent turkey hunting in the rain without a blind it's no suprise looking back.

Up until now I had never had my 870 taken down this far, but after inspecting the parts I was definitely missing some areas. As a guy who is pretty much self taught I'm not sure what other guys do as far as a cleaning routine. I was pretty much showed to rub oil on the outside, run a couple swabs down the bore and call it good.

Do you guys disassemble your guns almost completely to clean them? If so how often do you do that?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

About once a year I will knock the pins out of shotguns I use and also clean and oil the trigger assembly, etc. I can't say I've ever had the wooden forend of my 870 off, but it really doesn't get used nearly as much as the semi auto either.

NWBuck

When I do a full cleaning (twice a year) the forearm and barrel come off the gun. Not difficult to do and it allows me to clean the entire barrel.

870s love to be abused. I usually just let mine air dry and wipe down with wd40 and out it back when out in the rain. If the rust gets too bad, it's time for paint!

Havent had any rust issues with any guns yet. Usually clean before the season starts like others have said, by taking the forearm off, removing the barrel and removing the pins from the reciever to clean the trigger mechanics.

Top Bottom