Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NEW CWD RULES ENHANCE RISKS professor John Fischer of the University of Georgia told

Never mind new guidelines, Shut Down all the private fenced hunting period. No captive animals of the deer species, period!! That is how this all got started in the first place.

Never mind new guidelines, Shut Down all the private fenced hunting period. No captive animals of the deer species, period!! That is how this all got started in the first place.

You going to shut down all outside hunting to stop EHD? Which I think started along time ago in the free ranging. Funny all the money spent on CWD and it still doesn't kill as many deer as EHD.

You going to shut down all outside hunting to stop EHD? Which I think started along time ago in the free ranging. Funny all the money spent on CWD and it still doesn't kill as many deer as EHD.

EHD is caused and spread by stagnant water (bacteria in the water) entering the bloodstream. CWD is spread from animal to animal. Having high fence enclosures is not helping the situation from being spread. EHD is a natural disease. What are ya gonna do?

EHD is caused and spread by stagnant water (bacteria in the water) entering the bloodstream. CWD is spread from animal to animal. Having high fence enclosures is not helping the situation from being spread. EHD is a natural disease. What are ya gonna do?

I agree with you, just wanted to clarify that EHD is not bacterial. It's a virus spread by a biting midge that is in the stagnant water.

EHD, supposedly deer can develop immunity to, eventually. Don't think that happens with CWD. CWD may,,and I say,may,,,be able to be spread to humans.

I agree with you, just wanted to clarify that EHD is not bacterial. It's a virus spread by a biting midge that is in the stagnant water.

Did not know that. Thanks! Also did not know there was such thing as biting gnats.. as if the regular ones arent bad enough! :D

I've posted a lengthy treatise on CWD and the risks in another thread. The most likely history on how CWD got started in our wild ungulate population was from a study conducted by Colorado State University on sheep scrapie.

They were testing whether scrapie could be transmitted from sheep to deer by housing both either together or in adjacent pens (I don't recall which; it isn't really important). Anyway, wild deer routinely came up to the captive deer and interacted through the fence. The researchers proved that scrapie could be transmitted to deer in the pens, but within a few years, deer in the area started showing signs of disease and CWD in the wild was born.

It was through pen-raised deer and transport of those animals across state lines that we have effectively moved the disease across the country.

Last edited:
It was through pen-raised deer and transport of those animals across state lines that we have effectively moved the disease across the country.

Not sayin your wrong here, but if the pen raised animals in Colorado tested positive and they knew that it could be transmitted from animal to animal why would they be stupid enough to move them across state lines?

There was no test available for decades that could determine whether animals were "infected" with the protein responsible for the disease. Up until the 2000's, animals were often sold across state lines without any knowledge of whether the animals had the disease (it can take years to see the outward manifestations of the disease).

In the early years, the only way to determine whether an animal had the disease was to kill it and look at brain tissue. People owning deer that had otherwise great genetics would be very hesitant to kill their animals on the chance that they were infected. Once in a new state, animals got loose or they interacted with wild game through the fence, thus the disease was spread.

Remember, many people didn't even believe that this disease was anything but a virus (that we should be able to detect). It is not; it is a mis-folded protein that can be passed from animal to animal. We have the tests now, but the "cat is out of the bag", so to speak.

And yes, there is no chance for animals to develop immunity to this disease. :(

Top Bottom