Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trap care

Fishbonker

Life Member
My trap stakes were frozen into the ground until last weekend. I couldn't pull the traps, 220s, until then. They have been sitting, unset, in their buckets all winter. They are pretty rusty. Would you guys do anything with them or just leave them in the barn all summer and use them "as is" next season?

They take up trap dye a little better when they have a light coat of rust on them.

You do dye them, right? ;):D

You do dye them, right?

I see what ya did there. Almost a quadra entendre.

I have used trap dye or whole walnuts in the past but only when they were new. Waxed 'em too. I though I'd like a nice waxed trap. Turns out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I boil all my traps in walnut hull juice every year prior to season. My leg hold traps I wax..... I never wax conibears.

A lot of trapping forums I visit, "especially ones up North" say to de-grease and spray paint your connibears. They paint theirs white up there due to the snow during the trapping season. You could paint them brown or black. Make sure to wrap a piece of masking tape around the jaw area where the trigger makes contact. You don't want dye or paint in that area. A little steel wool and some walnut hull boil like Blake suggested will work fine too. I actually have some new ones that have been hanging outside since Dec. that are getting a good coat of rust on them so I can prepare them for this fall.

I prefer a waxed trap myself. No dye necessary when its already been waxed. From what Ive heard the cost of wax or a razor is cheaper then dye. Oh wait...what are we talking about?

Oh wait...what are we talking about

Well, I think some of you are talking about the drapes matching the carpet and others are talking about a preference for waxed traps. Me, I'm talking about how to maximize my potential for obtaining fur, either waxed, dyed or rusty (au natural).

My traps have been on the shed since '08. I'm assuming they have enough rust to take on some dye for next fall. I can't wait to run a line again.

Top Bottom