Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Double

muddy

My buddy Moose and I hit some public land Friday morning. We somehow managed to get ourselves set up in between 6 different gobblers and shortly after fly down 2 came in and one committed 100% up to 6 yards. He let me shoot first and I drew my 49 pound Bear Kodiak Magnum throwing a 500+ grain cedar arrow tipped with a Zwickey head and planted him right there. I literally came unglued. For years I had said I would try to shoot something with traditional tackle and it had just happened, and with one of my Dads bows. Coroners report showed that I barely got him, the arrow severed the spine, a millimeter higher and I'd have missed totally. Better lucky than good.

Arrow stuck into a tree behind him. He had a beard just over 11 inches and spurs that were 1 1/4 or so, a VERY nice bird.

Over the course of the next hour and a half we had 2 more birds come in to 6 yards and on the 3rd bird Moose managed to hit the bird at 6 yards, but not kill it. It stuck around for another 45 minutes or so strutting for a hen and when the bird made to leave we shifted around in the blind and Moose smoked it at 30 yards. The bird ran off and we eventually tracked it up.

Mine was a limb hanger too, took me awhile and MANY laughs but he finally hung!

I will NEVER forget this hunt. We had 3 adult birds fully commit to the Dave Smith Jake at 6 yards and 1 adult hen come in and peck a DSD hen in the head repeatedly. Beautiful morning spent in the Creation.

Great work boys!

Mud congrats on the traditional bird, definitely a cool accomplishment. Setup looks bad ass, that spot looks familiar and definitely miss hunting their with you guys.

Congrats again bud
Kratz

Well I guess we have a new definition of "Limb Hanger" now. :D

Seriously, awesome job, congrats, looks like a great time was had by all!

I'm sure Pops was smiling down on that hunt Muddy! Very cool being able to take such a boss bird with his traditional tackle! Congrats to you both!

Top Bottom