Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dream Hunt Come True

You can not do enough to really get into shape to handle it out there....trust me :D

Anything you can do here helps tho...

He's not being mean, he is absolutely correct. There is a physiological barrier you will never be able to surpass coming from low elevation to high elevation for only a few days (even a week). It takes about a month for a healthy person to build the proteins needed in your red blood cells to capture enough oxygen at high elevation. Living at 7,000' elevation and hiking up to 10,000', I see it all the time when flatlanders come up here, whether from Phoenix or the Midwest. Having said that, train as hard as you absolutely can, especially if you are going to do a pack in hunt. You'll be looking at 50+ lbs of gear in and out without an elk to get out. Get on a stair machine with a heavy pack so you can get your body accustomed to that weight and feel.

As for boots, if you go the hiking boot route, get a pair that is designed for backpacking if you're going to pack in. If not, you're feet, ankles, and knees will be gone by the time you're out. When I get back from this soccer tournament, I can get you some good boot recommendations. Think about spending the money on good boots just like you would good glass.

There is a physiological barrier you will never be able to surpass coming from low elevation to high elevation for only a few days (even a week). It takes about a month for a healthy person to build the proteins needed in your red blood cells to capture enough oxygen at high elevation.

The quote above is true for the most part, but......

I've hunted in high altitude in NM and WY without a problem. Cardio exercise before going there, being sickle cell trait positive might help.

Don't let this thread discourage you!

The quote above is true for the most part, but......

I've hunted in high altitude in NM and WY without a problem. Cardio exercise before going there, being sickle cell trait positive might help.

Don't let this thread discourage you!

Certainly wasn't trying to discourage you, Curtis. Just pointing a medical fact so you know what you're getting into. Can't remember the name of the protein, but was talking to a local doctor about it recently. Randy's condition may very well be in his favor. Train hard and you'll do fine.

Certainly wasn't trying to discourage you, Curtis. Just pointing a medical fact so you know what you're getting into. Can't remember the name of the protein, but was talking to a local doctor about it recently. Randy's condition may very well be in his favor. Train hard and you'll do fine.

I know.. I'm glad you guys share the info too. Glad I have never been one of the guys who runs out of breath easily here. Would just make it that much more difficult.

Well just an update as we have finally narrowed every down. We will be hunting Unit 214 and will be staying in Steamboat Springs. We have been taking with different biologist and Wardens about the units and that is how we decided on unit 214. We will be going down for a week. Sept 13th through the 21st. I am hoping to take lots of photos and creating a new thread to keep every one updated day by day.

1. Run
2. Get good gear. GPS and clothing
3. Danner pronghorns work just fine for me. I have had 450$ Lowas that didn't work out, so stick to something you know boot wise.
4. Learn to call with a diaphragm now
5. Have good tires and spares (know where to get fixed if you have problems).
6. Don't overpack. Get your pack as light as possible then get it lighter.
7. Acclimate (diamox helps bigtime with minimal side effects), give yourself at least a day to do nothing when you get there.
8. Know your meat packing plan before hand. Ie...wheres the closest dry ice etc...
9. Hunt hard. Be aggressive. I'd rather blow chances that not get them.
10. Take any elk. OTC CO is tough and most guys fail.

Here is DIY my pack list FWIW.

ITEM OUNCES SPECIFICS REMARKS
FOOD Mountain House 9 entrees Stroganoff is best, anything with rice sucks IMO
Pop Tarts Horrible for you but about 400 calories
Home made Trail Mix 9 M&M's, Planters peanuts, Sunflower seeds and Raisins
Spam/Chicken individuals
Tortilla soft shells
Peanut Butter individuals
Jerky
Snickers and other candy bars
Beef/chicken bullion
Energy Gels
Gum
Honey Stinger Organic Waffles, Honey, 1-Ounce Packages (Pack of 16)
Ramain noodles, beef and chicken
salt/pepper
gum

DRINKS Hydration system Cabelas 100oz bladder/platypus backup
100 oz H20 Use to top off before hitting trail
Gatorade indvidual packs 1 to 2 daily to aid in electrolyte replacement
Sawyer 3 in 1 filter system
Large camp water reservoir
Katadyn pump needs new filter
COOKING Jetboil Sol Titanium stove
Jetboil fuel 100 gram cannister Used less than 2 cans of fuel.
Spork

Toileteries Toothbrush/paste
Baby wipes
TP - 2 rolls
small mirror for contact
Contacts/Solution
Glasses just in case
Blister kit/Moleskin
Medications Cipro. Immodium,ASA, IBU,Zyrtec diamox
Dental floss
Ear plugs

Equipment Frame pack Cabelas Alaskan
Day pack Sitka Flash 30
Kwik-Straps
Tent Big Agnes UL3
Sleeping Bag Big Agnes Mystic SL long
Sleeping Pad/patch kit Peak OYL lite long
GPS (2 double AA's) LIthium Dakota 20 loaded with myhuntinggps maps extra batteries
Head lamp nightblaster
hand held LED flashilight Blueline by Nebo
wind checker
face paint
license/stamps/zipties/pen
Elknut Playbook
Compact Camera/extra battery /charger Sony Cybershot 12.1MP DSC-W290
Video Cam/charger Cannon Vixia S10
Hunting knife Add big fixed for belt Havalon Peralta with extra replacement blades
Outdoor edge butcher set
Game bags 4 elk sized Allen brand this time
orange flag tape
parachute chord hold elk up, ties game bags in tree etc…minimum 30 ft
lighter/matches 2 sources of fire
duct tape
super glue
39 gallon garbage bags 2 to 4
ziploc bags
Mouse Traps/poison If you need them this will make sense. :)

Backup gear Extra release
fiber optic
Bow/arrows Black Widow

Clothing (packed) Rain Gear Sitka Down Pour pants/jacket
Beanie hat
Stocking hat
gloves Sitka Shooter
Extra Socks/liners/underwear 2 extra pairs socks and 1 extra pair core4elemnt underwear
Base layers
90% pants
KUIU Spindrift Packable light weight primaloft jacket
ITEMS WORN or CARRIED IN OUTSIDE OF PACK
Sitka hat
Sitka Base Layers
Sitka Accent Pant
Belt
Underwear -Core4Element

Swarovski EL and crooked horn carrier
Rangefinder Bushnell---needs upgrading but still works fine
Watch/alarm
Bugles Bully-bull and Elknut chuckler
Diaphragm calls 2 allstars, 2 raging bulls, mellow yellow
Reed Call fighting cow call by Carlton
Bow and arrows Bowtech Invasion. Easton axis 340 9.5 gpi tipped with 100 grain Muzzy phantoms.
Bear Spray UDAP 7.9 oz can
Handgun

I went to CO back in 2009. Since then i have been to Utah twice and will be going to Idaho this year. All 3 hunts were OTC units with archery equipment. As everyone has mentioned already, start running... You will be shocked how fatigue you get in the high altitude. Be very comfortable shooting your bow out to 70 yards and do not hesitate if given the opportunity! In 2009 i shot my bull at 45 yards and 2 years ago i shot a cow at 59 yards. The key thing to remember is this, they are not whitetails... Hunt hard, be ready to move on them, this may involve running... I have honestly ran and busted 3-4 elk to get in front of the heard... You will see that it is a totally different tactic once you get out there. But just remember that it is HARD but keep it FUN!

Top Bottom