Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hand guns

If the sig intrigues you I would strongly consider the p938. Its not much bigger than the 238. 9mm ammo is cheaper and more available. Not to mention more knockdown. That said the Rugers are nice guns. For the most part Taurus makes a good gun but for the price difference I'd spend a little more and go with the Ruger.

I would buy a Taurus for the range and I would hunt with a Taurus but I would not buy one for concealed carry or HD. There are waaay to many negative reviews of Taurus for me to be comfortable trusting one in a bad situation.
Ruger on the other hand has a pretty solid reputation for reliability.

Last edited:
I would take a ruger over a taurus anyday myself. I have been eyeing the Kahr cm9 and P380. Really want one of those. There are too many choices out there and it is not like you can shoot them before hand so it makes picking one out extremely tough for me anyways.

My first carry gun was a karh pm9. It was an accurate and beyond reliable gun. Second carry gun was a glock 23 in .40, it makes a great fall and winter " more clothing to conceal"
My 3rd and favorite carry gun is a springfield xds in .45, its small, very reliable,.powerful and very easy to conceal.
The gun is only half of the battle when choosing an everyday carry gun. The holster is often overlooked and is equally important. Having a gun that stays home or in the console of your vehicle wont do much good if your really truly need it.
"It is much better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
If you can get your hands on a few different guns and fire them and get a feel for them it will really help. Id rather have a little single action .22 mag revolver in a pocket holster than have a full sized glock with 19 rounds in it sitting in the safe at home.

I would buy a Taurus for the range and I would hunt with a Taurus but I would not buy one for concealed carry or HD. There are waaay to many negative reviews of Taurus for me to be comfortable trusting one in a bad situation.
Ruger on the other hand has a pretty solid reputation for reliability.

I'll go a step further and say you couldn't pay me to own a Taurus under any condition. I had a PT940 that I thought was great until I had to send it back to have the same problem fixed twice. The sear wasn't engaging and you could pull the trigger 5-7 times before it would fire. Their customer service was horrible. I was only allowed to speak to a phone-answering technician and nobody in charge, even after asking to talk to her supervisor. I explained that I used that pistol for personal protection on the US-Mexico border and had ZERO faith in it. I told them I didn't want it back and they could scrap metal it. The girl was dumbfounded, but said she'd pass the message on. Shortly after that, Taurus sent me the same pistol back. About a year later, the exact same problem started. Before I could call Taurus, the pistol was stolen when my truck was stolen (Nov 2002). As much as I hated having my pistol on the streets in the hands of a criminal, I wasn't sad to see it gone. If Rugers fit my hands, I'd jump all over one. They are great and they're made about 90 minutes from here. At the same time, you can't beat a Sig!

The most important thing is purchasing a gun that fits your hand size, is easy to grip. Then you need to be able to to put those rounds in a good grouping and be able to handle the recoil weather it be a .22, .380, 9mm, .40 or .45. A lot of people say they would not carry a .22 because it is not powerful enough. I say let me shoot three rounds into you and see. Nobody has taken me up on the offer. I would rather have atleast a .22 then nothing at all.

I'd carry a swiss army knife over a Taurus. I feel they're not very well made. Strictly a personal opinion.

I'm no pro but I'll say no to the Taurus as well. I've shot a few that buddies have owned and been less then impressed. All kinds of failures in action.

The most important thing is purchasing a gun that fits your hand size, is easy to grip. Then you need to be able to to put those rounds in a good grouping and be able to handle the recoil weather it be a .22, .380, 9mm, .40 or .45. A lot of people say they would not carry a .22 because it is not powerful enough. I say let me shoot three rounds into you and see. Nobody has taken me up on the offer. I would rather have atleast a .22 then nothing at all.

.22 is more than capable of being a cc weapon. Believe it or not, .22 mag is rated as one of the best calibers at close range over any other caliber.

Me too but I can't find one anywhere. That Kel-Tec is the best ccw in my opinion. Shot placement is number one. Next is number of hits on target.

I have one on order, let's see how long it takes to get here I guess.. you can pop off a lot of shots with this badboy! Price is right too.

Last edited:
M&P Shield

Bought the 9mm a few months back. Sweet shooting gun and easy to carry. The old man loved it so much he traded his kahr to get a shield.

The rugers to me seemed a little clunky. I work at sportsmans warehouse in Ankeny and you wont find 1 guy in there that would buy a Taurus. Alright I guess there is 1 guy but they are not well liked around there.

I should say the problem Tauruses I mentioned were auto loaders. I have shot a few of their revolvers as well and had no problem with those.

Top Bottom