Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnips

mnhunter82

I live in south eastern minnesota and I am planting my first food plot this year. I am going to plant turnips.
I have already sprayed the area where my plot will be and am waiting for it to die off before planting. For the area I live, when would be a good time frame to plant the turnips? Thanks for any help!!

mnhunter82

We just planted some last week and then scond field will go in this next weekend. Have had good results with this timeframe. Results can definitely depend on rain after u plant. Good luck

As a first time planting, I have found deer don't feed on them much until it seems like there is nothing else left. Stick with them. The 2nd year they devour them. I have had same results on all of my farms I've owned. The first year good towards end of season the following years once the local deer have had a taste for them Awesome. Anyone else have similar results?

I live in south eastern minnesota and I am planting my first food plot this year. I am going to plant turnips.
I have already sprayed the area where my plot will be and am waiting for it to die off before planting. For the area I live, when would be a good time frame to plant the turnips? Thanks for any help!!

mnhunter82

Right before it rains. Next question. :D

But seriously, I have planted turnips, and radishes, as late as mid September and still had fair to good success with them that fall. However, you need just about ideal circumstances in terms of moisture and ambient temps to get even fair growth when you plant that late. I would call early to mid September, late, but doable...sometimes.

Others plant their turnips as early as mid-July and have good results. A lot of it will be determined by what rain you get on them. We had two super dry summers in a row(2012 and 2013) and it pretty much didn't matter when you planted them...because without ANY rain on them, growth was poor to non-existent.

But, assuming some sort of normal amount of rain...if you plant them now through about Aug. 10th you will be hitting the sweet spot. Rain is the key though, if at all possible, do try to get them in before a rain(s).

We planted last weekend here in Il and have alway's used this time frame for planting our's with great success, Checked plots today, and they have only had a sprinkle of rain since Saturday and happy to report new growth is already sprouting ,

Daver is right, right before a rain is the best time :D

My son and I planted ours yesterday, and oh happy day, got a little over half an inch this afternoon :) It's really earlier than I wanted to put them in, but have shoulder surgery scheduled on August 4th and needed to get them in before that. The latest I've ever put them in was August 18th, and the turnips ended up about the size of a golf ball. Deer absolutely loved them that size, so that's why I like to wait a little later in the season when possible. Good luck.

NWBuck

I am just stuck, I figure I will at least get everything tilled and ready. Once I see at least a chance of rain in the forecast I will get the seed down

I've staggered plantings as I hunt 2 different farms in MN and WI (6 hours apart). Planted some July 11th, July 18th, and some more last night. Unfortunately just missed the rains this week on the latest planting but should eventually work out. Just wanted to get the latest stuff down as I wouldn't want to miss another soaking at this point...definitely keeps my summer busy running around keeping the deer happy (and other hunting partners as well).

Top Bottom