Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Making "safelines/lifelines"?

skyleralan

PMA Member
I promised my wife I would start putting up a lifeline on each stand. The cost of the HSS and Muddy stand is $30-$35ish in price. I hunt anywhere from 5-10 different stands throughout the year. Just looking at making my own to save some money if others have or have the plans.

Hung a stand today that is a deathwish, need to definitely get some form of line on this one!

I promised my wife I would start putting up a lifeline on each stand. The cost of the HSS and Muddy lifeline is $30-$35ish in price. I hunt anywhere from 5-10 different stands throughout the year. Just looking at making my own to save some money if others have or had the plans to make these let me know.

I apologize for he grammar errors wrote this late last night!

Here is a place that sells rope. This is the cheapest at a dollar/foot. And yes, the 10mm (3/8) will hold you. You can get other, thicker ropes but it's more expensive and you have to buy in set lengths.

I see Cabelas has HSS lifelines, 3 for 100... 30 ft.. I feel like if you have to buy the rope and make them yourself you would be on the losing end. I know I am ordering them as opposed to making my own.

We used 3/8 nylon rope from farm and home cost us 10 dollars for a 100 foot roll made ours 25 feet long and they were perfect for 20 to 21 foot stands. A friend and I made 16 in under 3 hours at a cost of under $5 a piece. Also used a propane torch to melt all the cut ends. I would definitely recommend doing that as the rope really seemed to frey.

I would recommend doing some research on the correct rope to use. You will need a static rope (11mm) and prusic cord (6.5mm). It is imperitive that the prusic is tied correctly as well. They are extremely easy to make and we made 30' sets with 2 prusic cords per rope for around $18/stand. It could be cheaper depending on the amount of rope you buy. I would suggest talking others to go in with you and buy in bulk. Pretty cheap insurance. We make sure to take the ropes down as soon as season is over in order to prevent any dry rot. I found the instructions to make them at safetreehunt.com

Top Bottom